Wedding Party

BM Buying thier own dresses.

RaeneeraRaeneera member
First Anniversary First Comment
edited June 2013 in Wedding Party
Did you go with them, or let them go on their own?
Also where did they go to get them?
I should add it's not an elegant formal dress code, think cute & casual summer. Also 3/4 of my ladies are plus size. EDIT AGAIN!: Budget $200 per.

I was thinking of taking my 4 girls to Macy's & Younkers, on a fun group shopping trip for their BM dresses, then maybe out for drinks and dinner after...

What are your thought, and findings, I mostly would like an answer as to where your BM's dresses were bought.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: BM Buying thier own dresses.

• When you say they are buying their own dresses, do you mean that they are paying for them themselves or choosing them themselves? Then, if they are choosing them themselves, are they all supposed to decide on the same dress or can they pick any dress in your specified color?

I went to a local place called Bijou. If you don't live in this area, you've probably never heard of it.
  • It is the general rule that BMs pay for the dresses, but if you can afford it, it would be fabulous if you can pay. 

You should privately ask each BM their budget before shopping and go with the lowest number. It is the easiest the specify a color & length, then let them pick the style they like. 

Remember that these are people you love and you want them to look and feel their best on your wedding day, not be pissed at you because you made they pay $200 for a dress they'll never wear again that they feel fat in (I say this from experience, not that you're doing it)
  • RaeneeraRaeneera member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited June 2013

Yeah, to clear up a few things. They have free range for dresses, so if they all agree on one they liked sure, go ahead and get the same one, but I don't expect that to happen. They are paying for their dresses and I have privately asked their preferred amount to spend on a dress and the common amount between them was $200 as a max. The girls trust me when it comes to price, and style so they know I wont ask them to dress like a 1980's Texas Beauty Pageant Contestant, but I am not plus sized so I have no idea where quality plus sized dresses can be bought. I've seen a few online stores as well, but I dont know if my friends want to buy before they try, as it's pretty iffy when it comes to size & color.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would go to a regular bridal shop since they're likely to have multiple dresses in one color, whereas Macy's and other department stores won't. 
  • mlg78mlg78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    Macy's sucks for plus size. Try Davids Bridal. A big selection, great colors, good prices.
  • edited June 2013
    It does depend on how plus-size they are, but I agree that David's Bridal is a good option for that price range.
  • Originally, I told my girls to find a champagne colored dress. Then I fell in love with the idea of patterned dresses, so I wanted them to be the same so we went shopping together at Macy's. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • A fun group shopping trip with your bridesmaids is always fun.  You can take them to David's Bridal, or a department store.  I've gotten bridesmaids dresses at JCrew and local bridal salons before.

Also, if the timeline in your signature is accurate, your wedding isn't for another year and 3 months.  I wouldn't start looking for bridesmaids dresses until next Spring if that is the case.  You might change your mind about colors, type of dress, and your bridesmaids can easily gain or lose weight in a year. 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Raeneera said:

Yeah, to clear up a few things. They have free range for dresses, so if they all agree on one they liked sure, go ahead and get the same one, but I don't expect that to happen. They are paying for their dresses and I have privately asked their preferred amount to spend on a dress and the common amount between them was $200 as a max. The girls trust me when it comes to price, and style so they know I wont ask them to dress like a 1980's Texas Beauty Pageant Contestant, but I am not plus sized so I have no idea where quality plus sized dresses can be bought. I've seen a few online stores as well, but I dont know if my friends want to buy before they try, as it's pretty iffy when it comes to size & color.
    I would set up a fun day of shopping and a lunch or dinner. They can look at dresses together, but if they don't find anything that day, they can go shopping another day on their own. I would go to a bridal boutique because that is the only place I can think of where you can get the same or a similar dress in a wide range of sizes. Department stores always have a separate plus-size section that has completely different dress options than the other women's department.
  • My BM's requirement was black. They found their dresses at Macy's on sale. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards