Outdoor Weddings
Options

Ceremony on Steps?

So, we are getting married on the riverbank at a new marina recently built at our city. The reception will be held in a building above where we want to get married. The reception building is elevated and the ground is level beneath it, where we considered having the ceremony. But, the sun doesn't shine there and has a dark/damp feeling. So, we are considering having the ceremony on the steps beneath the reception building leading to the water. But, I have no idea how to setup the ceremony where there are steps, where the people would sit. I mean the steps are wide enough…I would say each step is 4 feet long, and a little more than a foot high… Rolled Carpet? White Folding Chairs? Thanks in Advanceimage

Re: Ceremony on Steps?

• Options

How many people are you expecting at your ceremony? And how long will your ceremony be?  I think those are two questions you need to consider....

It's a little hard to tell from the photo, but if the steps are wide enough and you have a good amount of people attending a ceremony I would say go with the chairs.  If they are not that wide maybe you can use skinny benches (or something like covered hay-bales) instead of chairs.  If you are having a pretty short ceremony (like 15 min or under) and a small number of guests (a handful for people) I think it would be fine to have them just stand on the steps - but you would need to define an "aisle" with some type of runner and/or decorations. That all being said, I think the place you have chosen is lovely for a wedding ceremony and any type of set-up you decide on will be fine!

Anniversary

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I would do chairs and no carpet or aisle runner. Any fabric over uneven steps sounds like a fall waiting to happen. 

Just make sure everyone has a comfy place to sit. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I would skip the carpet/runner. I think cushions on the steps would give you the room.
  • Options
    I would do white folding chairs, rent an arch and some plant stands. Decorate the arch to match whatever look you're going for. Bring in some flowers or potted plants to put on the plant stands. I would not do runner due to potential accidents.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options

I agree about ditching the aisle runner, and I also like the idea of using potted plants to define an aisle to walk down.  If your ceremony is short and your guest list isn't huge then I too would have the guests stand.  If not you may need to work out some form of seating.

• Options
    I am 99% certain that this photo is at our venue too! We are planning to get married on the steps as well- too funny!! We are not planning to have a traditional aisle, but walk in on the side (the long sidewalk that leads towards the marina). We are going to place a few cinder blocks on the first big step up to help a few people who can't make the bigger leaps. We are also just going to ask the venue to hose down the steps the day before (I've seen them do it before.) We aren't using fabric or anything (and they won't let you use chairs outside here). Our ceremony will be 10-15 minutes long though, and yours might be different. Best of luck!
  • Options
    @cowgirl8238, you need a seat for every butt. No standing. I recommend you, @ldnaghey, and @diddy41 use individual cushions on the steps. Try it out first to see if your guests will be comfortable.
  • Options
    I am not sure if you will have elderly guests or guests with physical disabilities , but if you do, it probably isn't a good idea to have them stand or sit down on the ground/on cushions.  As some PPs said, you could use chairs if the stairs are big enough or skinny benches. 
  • Options
    Check on restrictions of what you are allowed to do in the area, if you do chairs, who is responsible for set up for chairs & tear down & how early/late can that be done (not all rental companies will do set up, they drop off, leave and come back the next day expecting stuff to be ready for them to be picked up. Skip isle runner to avoid accidents. If they won't allow chairs and you have a few special guests (parents, grandparents, etc) that need chairs, maybe you can just bring enough for those people.
  • Options
    Don't know if you already had your ceremony or not, but I just wanted to let you know that we didn't use cushions, fabrics, or anything. Everyone was 100% fine with it, especially because our ceremony lasted about 10 minutes. Sometimes simpler is just better- but you also know your guests better than I do!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards