Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Multiple Registries

We had originally registered at Crate and Barrel for all of our kitchen needs and today I went to Bed, Bath, and Beyond, to register for more bedroom, bathroom, living room items.  The lady at the registry desk was saying that because we are expecting 200 guest, I must have at least 200 items on the registry.  I told her we already registered for a great deal of things at CB and she told me that even if I registered for it at CB, I must also register those items at BBB because otherwise guest would see it as rude and that we were expecting them to shop at multiple places.  I had never thought of this and thought that putting something on both registries would just cause more confusion (if someone bought it at one place and then those shopping at the other place would see it as still needed and may buy the same thing) and I figured people would choose whichever registry they wanted, not see it as us expecting them to us both?  Basically now I'm all sorts of confused...how do you properly handle having 2 registries?  Thank you! 

Re: Multiple Registries

• Options
    Don't listen to her. She just wants to make more money. Register for what you want at each place. You don't have to duplicate items.

What @misshart00 said exactly. Plus, you don't even need two hundred things on your registry.
  • Options
    Okay thank you...that seemed a bit excessive 
  • Options
    I would think exactly the opposite of what the saleslady said- if you are registered for a toaster at C&B, and then I saw that you were also registered for a toaster at BBB, I would be confused and wonder what was going on.  I think that is what looks a little bit bad- like you are asking for more stuff than you really need, and are planning to return some of it for cash (or something.)  What you did was perfectly correct!
  • Options
    They told us to register for twice as many items as guests we're inviting. She told us to double-register too (register for fine china at BBB even though we'd told her we'd registered for fine chine at Belk).
  • Options
    Register for what you want and don't listen to her. Also don't use those little cards they give you to put in invitations......they are super tacky
  • Options
    I have heard so many horror stories about couples registering at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. Honestly, I would have canceled my entire registry, and told the manager exactly why- the extremely rude and pushy registry consultant.
  • Options
    BB&B kept trying to get us to register for more things as well too.  When H & I went in the store to fill it out, the lady kept telling us to put this and that on.  When we had finished, we went to return the gun and noticed they had printed out our Macy's registry.  They must have googled us because I did not tell them we registered at Macys also.  There was no need to for us to also get so many items on our registry because typically in our area, cash is the gift given at the wedding and physical gifts are given at the shower.
  • Options
    Definitely do not register for the same items separate places.  I have a BB&B and a Target registry with different items.  

I struggled registering as many things were expensive and I didn't feel right asking for it, and also FI and I have been living together for a long time and owned our own home for 1 1/2yrs now.  We had a house warming party and a lot of his relatives give us stuff all the time so I didn't see the point in registering for a lot of the "normal" items.  I did my registries online because I didn't feel like being pressured to register for stuff we didn't need or want. 
  • Options
    Don't register for the same things at multiple places, it looks very greedy. 
  • Options
    The guests X2 thing makes sense because you could, theoretically, get a gift from someone at a shower and the wedding.  I'm sorry you had a bad experience at BBB; we were very lucky that our local store was very understanding about us being registered at Macy's and Amazon.
  • Options
    FWIW we had a great experience with registering at Bed Bath & Beyond! The employee told us to register based on the number of family/couples, not flat-out guests, which made for a more reasonable number of things to register for. Just wanted to offer a positive experience I guess!

We are also registered (for different items) at C&B. We were trying to hit as many geographic locations as possible since our family and friends are all over. BB&B does reach most people, but Crate and Barrel had cuter kitchen-y things and entertaining pieces.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    pinterest, obvi.

• Options
    Definitely do not register for the same items separate places.  I have a BB&B and a Target registry with different items.  

I struggled registering as many things were expensive and I didn't feel right asking for it, and also FI and I have been living together for a long time and owned our own home for 1 1/2yrs now.  We had a house warming party and a lot of his relatives give us stuff all the time so I didn't see the point in registering for a lot of the "normal" items.  I did my registries online because I didn't feel like being pressured to register for stuff we didn't need or want. 

Only register for the things you need at BBB that you haven't already registered for at CB. I agree with having more items than you have guests in a variety of price ranges..it gives your guests options, but having duplicate items at different places is just ridiculous.
  • Options
    I would think exactly the opposite of what the saleslady said- if you are registered for a toaster at C&B, and then I saw that you were also registered for a toaster at BBB, I would be confused and wonder what was going on.  I think that is what looks a little bit bad- like you are asking for more stuff than you really need, and are planning to return some of it for cash (or something.)  What you did was perfectly correct!
    that's exactly what I was thinking! 
  • Options
    Keeping the two separate is the smart thing to do.  Otherwise, you may have somebody buy something from one store and another person buy the same item from another around the same time.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    To clarify, we definitely did not register for the same items at different places. It made zero sense to us.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards