Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Someone making the dress for you...

So I went dress browsing and I found a really awesome dress but it was above my price range (not by too much) and I knew if I worked hard enough I probably could have gotten it. Well, I called my aunt to talk with her about making my veil and she offered to make my dress. I really liked the idea and agreed, and I showed her pictures of the dress I found in hopes she could make it close to it. Well, we've found a pattern and I know this dress she's making is going to be obviously different from the one I found... SO I'm asking others whom have had there dress personally made: how can I fall in love with the dress my aunt is making me and forget about the beautiful dress I found? I don't want my wedding day to come and hate what I'm wearing, especially when it was made by my Godmother, whom I dearly love... =/ I mean she is letting me see it all and pick out designs and how things will be made, so it is sort of my own but I just need a little advice because I know this way does save money and is very loving and caring.

Re: Someone making the dress for you...

• Options
    has she made the dress yet? maybe have a heart talk with her and tell her how you feel like i really love the thought of u making the dress but i still have the original dress in my head. go back to the salon and try it on again do u feel goosbumps does it make u cry can u see yourself in that dress and not a replica of it? be honest with her.

i went to 2 regular salons to try on dresses and one consigment salon. the first place loved every dress i was in and had a slight bridal momement in one of them the second salon did not like anything consultant did not get my vison at all i wanted taffita some lace and picups they didnt have anything like that.. 

so i went back to the orignal salon and put on the dress i had tears in my eyes i could picture myself walking down the aisle holding my flowers with part of my grandmothers lace wedding gown wrapped around my flowers.
  • Options

I understand your concerns completely.  My aunt is making my dress as well!  I was really nervous too, and had those "what if I don't like it?" thoughts. 

I took my mom and aunt to DB and I tried on a bunch of dresses in different styles.  There was one dress that we all fell in love with.  It was very flattering and we knew it was the dress.  She took all the pictures she could, and she designed basically a replica of that dress.  We decided not to alter it too much, because the other one was perfect as is.  I've been nervous this whole time about it, as the wedding is less than a month away.  But I saw it for the first time last weekend and it's AMAZING!  I tried it on, and it's wonderful.  I'm not worried about it anymore.

My advice is to try on dresses so that you an see and feel what you do and don't like.  That's the best starting place.  There was some stuff I tried on that I thought would look bad, and they looked great!  The opposite happened as well.  Take your aunt with you so that she can see the dresses on you.  If she knows what she's doing, this will all turn out great!  You'll end up with a one-of-a-kind dress that you'll be very happy in :)

• Options
    make the dress out of a cheap linen first before cutting into the expensive fabric - you'll be able to tell if you like the style of the dress that way too (even though other materials, like satin, will drape differently). I'm getting my dress custom made and the seamstress is making a mock dress first to make sure it fits well and is exactly as I want it before cutting into my expensive fabric.
  • Options
    Well, the dress I tried on, I really enjoyed, yet there were things about it I did dislike and I didn't burst into tears or anything, but I learned that I liked the lighter, thinner (not poofy or ball gown style) dresses and that I adored lace. There's lace on the dress she's making and its more of a lighter, thinner pattern close to that of the one I tried. Now the one I tried was like fit and flare but she's making more of an A-line so it will still be semi fitted but not so much at the hips, which might be a better thing because I was nervous that the dress was going to extenuate my post-baby belly and I don't like the idea of people who don't keep in touch with my FI and I to think we're doing it only because of a baby (which I'm not pregnant at all LOL I can wait a little longer). I think I'm just nervous because I've never had this sort of thing done. She is sending me a mock to try on to make sure measurements are good and that I like the look of it so when that comes in I think my stomach will settle, but I'm sure its just the uncertainty rather than when you see a dress you already know. But my dress is going to be ivory and the fabric is lace and saratong or something like that LOL
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards