Wedding Reception Forum

Kid friendly decor on a budget...HELP!

Nearly 25% of my guest list are under 5 (including 1 of my 2 kids) and I am at a loss. We found some LED candles, but I can't think of anything else. I keep seeing everyone's tables decked out in glass beads, tea lights, chair sashes, and well, if you have kids you know all of those can be nightmare material. 
We do have plans to keep kids busy. We're doing a kids table with color wonder markers and paper, plus a mountain of pillows and books in the corner (the wedding colors are also the colors of my home, so I am just using our own throw pillows). So it isn't like they'll have nothing better to do than act like tiny (albeit cute!) terrors, but I'd like to do something more than just battery powered candles. Any ideas? 

Re: Kid friendly decor on a budget...HELP!

• Do you want floral centerpieces? You don't have to use glass or candles in any way in your centerpieces. You can put flowers in anything. You could also use books or wooden things. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • edited June 2013
    I think you may be overthinking this a little bit.  I had a bunch of kids under 5 at my wedding, and none of them did any damage whatsoever to the decor.  I mean, you're talking about a LOT of kids, which maybe makes a difference, but can under-5s really even reach centerpieces that are in the middle of the table?  I mean, I wouldn't recommend lots of stuff dangling off the tables for them to grab onto, but I don't see why normal floral arrangements would be a problem, especially if you don't use glass vases.
    icecreamS04NYCMercedesmanateehuggersouthernredandwhite85
  • I think you may be overthinking this a little bit.  I had a bunch of kids under 5 at my wedding, and none of them did any damage whatsoever to the decor.  I mean, you're talking about a LOT of kids, which maybe makes a difference, but can under-5s really even reach centerpieces that are in the middle of the table?  I mean, I wouldn't recommend lots of stuff dangling off the tables for them to grab onto, but I don't see why normal floral arrangements would be a problem, especially if you don't use glass vases.
    I was kind of wondering about this, too. I mean, do people let their children climb on tables and grab at things?  How would they be getting to this decor, unless they pulled on the table cloth, and I would think someone would stop them in time. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
    daisey18
  •  Kid friendly décor to me screams "Balloons!"...but those are also a choking hazard, if you are clearly worried.

Are you having a dry wedding ? Because if you are worried that people won't watch their kids closely enough to keep them from choking on glass pebbles or setting accidental fires with candles, it seems that cups with booze in them on the table should also be out of the question.

Maybe some sort of decorated desserts for centerpieces? Iced cookies, or cupcake towers, or something...

Lighting with colored uplights can do a lot for a space.

Make sure the tablecloths aren't floor length, then you shouldn't have to worry about too many disasters.

Oooh- big fluffy ostrich feathers in tall vases- or spray painted branches with flowers hanging from  them ? The feathers can't possibly hurt anyone, and I'm sure you could find some pretty non-breakable containers if you're worried about them getting tipped over.

• You're over thinking this. Parents will control their children.  Pick the centerpieces that you like.
  • alithebridealithebride member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer
    edited June 2013
    if the kids are so rowdy and the parents are so terrible at watching them perhaps you need to rethink the guest list, not the decor.

Sierra524AddieCake
  • Our reception is in a kid's museum, we will have children as guests, and glass vases on the table.

Another vote for over thinking.
  • We're having a lot of kids too - 2 kid's tables plus a few that are too young to sit without their parents...  I'm not worried about the ones who are sitting with their parents - I'm pretty sure someone at their table will keep them from breaking/getting hurt on the centerpieces...

Our kid's table centerpieces are edible so the kids have something to snack on until it's their turn at the buffet line...

[Deleted User]
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards