Wedding Invitations & Paper

this might be an odd/weird kind of question

hello!

i have a question for you all.  my fiance and i are having a small wedding and we're also hosting an "after-party" shortly after the reception.  how would you phrase the "after-party" on an invitation?  or do you?  our wedding is going to be roughly 50-60 people and we're opening it up to others who are not coming to the ceremony and reception.  do you use a different kind of invitation?  or do you just do by word of mouth? 

any help will do.

thank you!

Re: this might be an odd/weird kind of question

• First, a few tips to keep you from annoying people here.  Please don't use that color or font and please start your sentences with capital letters. It is hard for people to take you seriously otherwise. 

We passed along our after-party info via word of mouth and told people we were going out later for dinner and drinks if anyone wanted to join us. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Sorry.  Didn't realize it was offensive.  Now how do I delete this?
  • It's considered rude to delete your post after someone has taken the time to answer your question. Don't worry about deleting the post, just remember Addie's advice for next time. You'll get the hang of things around here.

I would not do a formal invite for an after party - especially since some wont have been invited to the actual wedding. Word of mouth works.
  • Since you will be hosting the after party (most people don't), it's ok to send a paper invite, but it's not necessary.  Will you need an RSVP for the after party?  

PP is right.  It's incredibly rude to invite people to this party who aren't invited to the actual wedding.  It may seem like you are inviting them to join at least part of your day, but it comes off as a conciliation prize for guests who aren't good enough to be invited to the real deal.  (Or worse, a gift grab).  

If these people are really important to you, spend the money you would have spent on an after party to invite them to the actual wedding.  If they aren't important enough to do that, just leave them at home.  
  • It's not polite to invite people to anything wedding-related who aren't invited to the wedding.  That includes after-parties.

For those who are guests at both, I'd just spread the word by word of mouth.  No inserts.
  • I disagree, I think inviting others to an after party could be acceptable in some situations. For example, I recently graduated college- I have a lot of friends I wish I could invite to my wedding but I just can't for space reasons. My friends know that and understand. If I were going out for drinks or something like that after my wedding I'd tell anyone in the area to stop by if they were free. After all, if you are having your after party and a bar or restaurant, nothing is stopping your friends from being there anyways- its a public place. But as far as your question goes, we put up the little hotel party we are having afterwards on our website and will also share it by word of mouth.
  • I disagree, I think inviting others to an after party could be acceptable in some situations. For example, I recently graduated college- I have a lot of friends I wish I could invite to my wedding but I just can't for space reasons. My friends know that and understand. If I were going out for drinks or something like that after my wedding I'd tell anyone in the area to stop by if they were free. After all, if you are having your after party and a bar or restaurant, nothing is stopping your friends from being there anyways- its a public place. But as far as your question goes, we put up the little hotel party we are having afterwards on our website and will also share it by word of mouth.
    It is never acceptable.  See, the first thing you do when planning a wedding is figure out your budget.  Then you decide your guest list.  Then you find a place to accommodate all of the guests you want to invite within that budget.  Your friends must not be that important if you didn't figure out a way to have them at the actual ceremony and reception from the beginning.   No matter how you try to reason it, what you're doing is awfully rude. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards