Chit Chat
Options

What would you do?

So I work in an office with about 150 people.  Everything here is pretty much bsaed on how long you have been in the office.  I just learned today that two coworkers I started with made "senior" today.  It's really just a pay raise.  I have been in our current assignment for about a year longer than both of these individuals and have been given bigger and bigger assignments where the bosses specifically tell me they are giving them to me because I have more experience and work harder.  I did not make "senior."

While I get that life isn't fair, and it isn't really productive to judge yourself against others, I am still a bit annoyed about this.  I am tempted to sit down with my boss tomorrow and indicate that I am aware that others from my hiring year have made senior. . . . outline some of the things that I have put extra effort into, along with mentioning how good my review was a few months back and ask what else I need to work on more or improve on to be considered for senior.  What do you think?

Re: What would you do?

• Options
    harper0813harper0813 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited June 2013
    I think sitting down to discuss your future, ask for feedback, and what you described in general is just fine. However, I would not make mention of the other promotions.

ETA: Future, not figure. It would probably be inappropriate to discuss the shape of one's body with one's boss.
  • Options
    kaos16kaos16 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    and just et  the fact that I am bringing it up because of others making senior be the elephant in the room?  It will be obvious that's why I'm bringing it up since the promotions came out today.
  • Options
    Definitely don't mention the others' promotions. It's actually against the "company law" in most businesses to disclose any raises or salary in general. I second Stage and just approach your boss and let him know what you've done to deserve making senior and ask if there's anything you need to improve on.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    If you think you deserve a promotion/raise, tell your boss why and make a good case for yourself. DO NOT even mention that your co-workers. Taking the "they got one and I've been here just as long, plus they SAID I have more experience and work harder" will make you come across as having an immature outlook on professionalism to your boss. Take the high road and let your work speak for itself - "hey boss, I've been given more responsibilities and produced quality work (fill in support here). I like working for you and I would like to grow with this company. Do you see growth as an opportunity for me?"
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    kaos16 said:
    and just et  the fact that I am bringing it up because of others making senior be the elephant in the room?  It will be obvious that's why I'm bringing it up since the promotions came out today.
    But that doesn't mean you're bringing it up because others DID; it's because you DIDN'T and you're wondering why that is the case, given your workload, experience, and work ethic. I wouldn't worry about that being the elephant in the room, you are perfectly within your rights to ask about your own performance and what you can do to earn a promotion/raise if you do not mention anybody else's situation.
  • Options
    kaos16kaos16 member
    Amapola14 said:
    kaos16 said:
    But that doesn't mean you're bringing it up because others DID; it's because you DIDN'T and you're wondering why that is the case, given your workload, experience, and work ethic. I wouldn't worry about that being the elephant in the room, you are perfectly within your rights to ask about your own performance and what you can do to earn a promotion/raise if you do not mention anybody else's situation.

good point
  • Options
    It will only be an elephant if you let it be an elephant - if you act obviously jealous and bitter, sure, it will be uncomfortable. Act professional, pleasant, and poised.
  • Options
    kaos16kaos16 member
    Thanks everyone.  This is why I am hashing it out here before sitting down for the meeting.  I am upset and frustrated at the moment.  I am going to go home tonight, vent to DH (poor guy) and get a good night's sleep so that I can come back and discuss it rationally without the emotion I am feeling now about the situation.
  • Options
    kaos16kaos16 member
    I'm meeting with my boss this morning. . . . wish me luck!
  • Options

good luck!

• Options
    Good luck!
  • Options
    kaos16kaos16 member

So I did it. . . . I went in and sat down with the boss.  I outlined the work I have been doing in the past 16 months in my current assignment.  I emphasized how I was enjoying my increased responsibilities, etc. etc.  I asked what I can improve on, or what I should be doing differently to get to a postition where I can be considered for senior.

The verdict,  I am doing everything great, I am performing at the top level currently.  No complaints have ever been voiced about me. . . . . basically keep doing what you are doing and wait it out. 

I feel better, yet still frustrated that there is nothing I can do, that I just have to wait for something to happen!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards