Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

HELP! Picking a Photographer.. We have 3 we are friends with.

My fiance and I are friends with 3 very good photographers. One is my aunt and the other two are really good family friends of both of our families. We have no idea who to pick. My aunt takes good pictures but they just aren't really my style and she will have to be in pictures herself. One of our family friends also takes good pictures but they are too posed for my liking and I know that will not change. I really want the other family friend to take our pictures but I have a feeling it will hurt the others feelings. I am considering getting someone else entirely (I've already found another photographer I like) so there are no hard feelings and everyone can relaxing and enjoy the day. Thoughts? 

Re: HELP! Picking a Photographer.. We have 3 we are friends with.

• ssl2pd said:
    My fiance and I are friends with 3 very good photographers. One is my aunt and the other two are really good family friends of both of our families. We have no idea who to pick. My aunt takes good pictures but they just aren't really my style and she will have to be in pictures herself. One of our family friends also takes good pictures but they are too posed for my liking and I know that will not change. I really want the other family friend to take our pictures but I have a feeling it will hurt the others feelings. I am considering getting someone else entirely (I've already found another photographer I like) so there are no hard feelings and everyone can relaxing and enjoy the day. Thoughts? 

This!  Definitely find someone else.  Don't mix business and family/friends.  Also, if you ask any of them, they may feel obligated to say yes when really they just want to enjoy the day without working!
  • Probably one of the worst things you could do is to hire a family member or friend for your wedding.  Are your family members doing the cooking,  the flowers,  are they driving you to the wedding in their car or limo.  Are they DJing for you?  People hire pros because they want a professional experience and quality.   It's too easy for a family member to get distracted form their "JOB: on the wedding day and decide they'd rather sit at the bar,  or eat or mingle with the rest of the family and forget about their duty.  Pros are there for one reason,  hire a pro,  you won't regret it!
  • @ssl2pd Definitely avoid hiring friends or family members if you can help it. There is too much at stake to risk your relationships with these people over your wedding photos. If you aren't happy with them you may not feel like you can express that and if there are issues the day-of you might not have much recourse. It's always better to hire a professional anyway if you can.
  • It doesn't really sound to me like any of those would be good choices for you. Hey, what about this? My photographer just happens to be running a contest right now giving out wedding coverage. There's only a few weeks left to enter. I booked him already before this but maybe worth your while? 'Cuz he's amazing!

I grabbed the link for you check it out http://www.gemasana.com/vera-wang-inspired-wedding-photography-contest
  • As a photographer myself, I can tell you with certainty that I am NEVER disapointed when family/friends don't ask me to shoot their weddings. In fact, I am relieved! I'd much, much, much rather attend as a guest than as a vendor.

If they don't ask me, it saves me having to have the awkward conversation about price, and also enables me to actually kick back and ENJOY their big day. 

If you can, I would say find someone else who is not within your circle of friends/family.
  • I have to agree with everyone.  Why make your friends/family work on your wedding day, when they could be having a great (not job-related) great time with you?
  • Do not hire a friend...we could have gone this route and chose not to. It is all working itself out. Are they friends you would invite to your wedding?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards