Wedding Woes
Options

Things

zsazsa-stlzsazsa-stl member
First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary
edited June 2013 in Wedding Woes

It is really, really hard to clean out a garage when you don't know where you will be moving.  Will there be a yard? Will there be a garage?  Will there be an archery range and/or tennis courts?  We have sooooo much crap. Scratch that.  H has soooooo much crap.  Can someone else please tell him that the kitchen and bath catalogs from 1992 are outdated now?  Because he doesn't listen to me.  Also, he doesn't need notes from meetings in 2005.  I promise.  He argues that it is "proof that he lived."  No, it is proof that you are one angry wife away from being a full-on hoarder. 

There are also piles of construction scrap - nice pieces of wood (hee), light fixtures, screen doors, etc.  I hate to throw it all away but I don't think the thrift shop will take anything but the light fixtures.  We finally got around to sorting through the massive pile of paint cans - a mixture of our leftovers and the stacks of leftovers that the previous owners so generously saved for us in case we wanted to touch up the purple and blue heart stencils on the closet doors.  We have them lined up behind the garage, lids off, thickener added and waiting for them to dry out when we got a call to show the house this evening.  Great.  So now all of this stuff that we have started sorting through has to get piled back and look terrible again. 

Also, poison ivy. On my boobs.

Also, it is hot.

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Things

• Options

He argues that it is "proof that he lived." 

I love your husband. I wish I could be a fly on the wall for these kinds of convos you guys have.

• Options
    Does your county have a Habitat for Humanity? Because they will sometimes take that stuff if its in decent condition. And I'm sorry about the poison ivy. ::passes calamine::
  • Options
    DG1DG1 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    GAH at the poison ivy!  The queen and I agree.

And really. I know the semester is probably over, so he's probably around all the time, but you just need to throw out some of that stuff behind his back. Like the catalogs, for sure. 

• Options
    mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited June 2013

Also, poison ivy. On my boobs.

BOO!!!!  That's awful. 

DH got it on his junk once when he was in Marines.  :-/

• Options
    Yes, he was moved out of his office and out of work as of the first week of May. He has done a lot around the house, but he never gets going on anything until close to 10 and is ready to stop at 5 with a trip to take him self out to lunch somewhere in the middle (not every day, but enough that it is obvious he is forgetting we are on one income now).  But someone needs to put the fear of Jesus into him about either kicking butt on house stuff or getting a new job. I would prefer both.  I might need to hire a clown.

I just a friendly gal looking for options.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    GBCKGBCK member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    poor boobs.

and garagecleaning sucks.  (maybe the gymshaming app should have a hoarder-shaming spinoff?  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/09/gym-shamer-app-foursquare_n_2441363.html)
  • Options
    Apparently, we are married to the same hoarder professor. Every time I recycle a coffee can, he digs them out and puts them in his hoarder pile.  Two car garage- can't park either of our two cars.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker

I am so truly sorry.  I know exactly how frustrating this is. 

When DH moved in to my first house he brought along a 2 yr old phone book.  A year later he moved that effing phone book to our next house.  I recycled it when we started showing the last house. 

@alikatt your garage will never get better.  We have no fewer than 5 ride on toys, bikes and a myriad of kid toys.  Shoot we have a shed and STILL can't park a car in there.  Every time I shove things to one side he spreads again before I can get the car in there.

• Options
    DH tries this really hard.  His mother is a hoarder (hello, 30 year old fabric that's never been unfolded...and it's not vintage, it's just crap) and he has tendencies.  About once a year, we clean out the storage closet of "stuff".  If he hasn't touched it (this is mostly computer parts) in the past 2 years and can't use it in the future, it goes to be recycled.  He's gotten a lot better and it's pared down quite a bit in the last 5 years of doing this.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards