Ohio-Columbus

*crickets*

Everyone must be really busy, hardly any posts! The July board is buzzing, but then we are all getting married in 34 days or less!
What's everyone working on this week?
:kiss: ~xoxo~ :kiss:

Re: *crickets*

• AprilH81AprilH81 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2013
    I'm doing site visits and trying to get the budget to a number I am comfortable with. I started with my wish list to see what it would be and keep slashing items down where I can. We have only been engaged 3 weeks and we want a January 2014 wedding so we need to get the venue under contract ASAP.

We did our first last night at Royal American Links.  The ballroom was beautiful and just what I wanted, but the other spaces were dated and weren't great.  The indoor ceremony choices were the reception space or the bar/lounge downstairs.  If I end up there I won't be crushed, but I didn't love it as much as I thought I was going to.  It is also out in the middle of nowhere and with a January wedding I'm worried about road conditions if it snows.

Saturday we are visiting Graystone Wine Cellar.  The price is similar to Royal American Links but the space seems small and cramped with the curved stone ceilings.  A friend has been to a wedding there and said it was awesome so I am keeping an open mind.

Next Friday we are visiting Tall Timbers.  Their prices are the best of the three by my calculations and the pictures look nice.  I wish I could have an outdoor ceremony because their grounds look amazing but their reception rooms seem a little on the "blah" side.  Not terrible but not amazing either.  But there is something to be said for working with a blank slate...  A few decorations in that room will go a long way.

If anyone has any recent experience with them as a bride or guest, please let me know!
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • edited June 2013
    I have been to/organized formals at Graystone, was not impressed. It does feel very cramped and the lack of windows can be unsettling for some. Also parking can be bear and the bar scene is picking back up in the area. But you might love it! I'm a touch claustrophobic :-p Never been to the other two, sorry.

What are you looking for? Maybe you can get advice on other venues to look at? I'm having mine at the Boat House, but mainly only bc of RWB. My sister is using Clintonville Women's Club and i was impressed what all the extras that come with it. My friend is using Northpointe so folks can stay on location, but the ballroom is nicer than a lot of hotels ballrooms at the same price point.

• I love the Northpoint Brochure but their F&B minimum is more than double what I want to spend.  I emailed them asking for any off season discounts and I haven't heard back.

I want a warm, rustic, cozy feel.  Something that has some character to it since most of our pictures will be inside.  Most hotel ballrooms are not an option because they are so "blah".  I am a corporate meeting planner so I also associate hotels with work.  lol

I'm also considering Dock 380, but they are a bit over my budget so I'm not doing a site visit there unless I feel I have no other option.
  • Dock 380 is gorgeous! It was too small for my guest list. Have you check places that you can hire in a caterer and provide your own alcohol? That makes it a lot cheaper.

• Tall Timbers will let us bring in our own alcohol.  I'm not too terribly interested in using a private caterer, one more person to manage sounds like a hassle.  The venues that I've seen that allow the outside caterers also seem to require a lot of other rentals and decorating.
  • True - I think this is the reason people hire wedding coordinators. They must have a list of venues and the minimum bc it seems impossible to compile one all by yourself. But one didn't fit in my budget - the irony! :-p That's awesome that Tall Timers lets you bring in the alcohol!

On more suggestion - My brother got married at the Vault in January and it wasn't rustic by we got cool photos downtown. But it is hire your own caterer. For budget conscious I hire recommend Shoelaces Catering out of Wilmington, cheap tasty and travels to Cbus.

• I looked at the vault, but they require a $4,000 beverages spend on a Saturday (at least according to their website).  We are having 75 people for a daytime wedding.  There is no way our crowd would drink that much.  I may email them anyway, maybe they are running some winter specials.
  • donethatdonethat member
    First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited June 2013
    I've been to Royal American, and thought it was very pretty.  

Graystone Winery is probably perfect for someone, but I need windows.  

I don't have any experience with Tall Timbers, but sounds cool.

Lots of brides here have suggested the lodge at Camp Mary Orton for bring your own rustic.... and for downtown urban-rustic, have you thought about North Bank Park?  It's operated by Cols Parks and Rec, so likely not too pricey - but very pretty.   

• I think they did have a winter rate and if you are having a daytime wedding places usually drop the minimum if they can get you out before dinner.
    I think McCoy has day meal rates. So does The Boat House, and it's rustic.

Mary Orton is closed in the winter. I think North Bank's rental starts at $900, and that only includes chairs and tables :-(

What about the Columbus Cultural Arts Center?? It is really pretty! And I think it was more affordable. 

• True - I think this is the reason people hire wedding coordinators. They must have a list of venues and the minimum bc it seems impossible to compile one all by yourself. But one didn't fit in my budget - the irony! :-p That's awesome that Tall Timers lets you bring in the alcohol!

On more suggestion - My brother got married at the Vault in January and it wasn't rustic by we got cool photos downtown. But it is hire your own caterer. For budget conscious I hire recommend Shoelaces Catering out of Wilmington, cheap tasty and travels to Cbus.
    I'm looking into the Vault...  It isn't rustic, but it is beautiful.  How was the food with Shoelaces? Their prices seem too good to be true.  Was the food served hot?  Staff friendly and easy to deal with?
  • What about the Miller Kelton House? It might be more vintage than rustic but I've seen some really pretty pictures of weddings there. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • What about the Miller Kelton House? It might be more vintage than rustic but I've seen some really pretty pictures of weddings there. 
    I looked at their website and it has no information available (a pet peeve of mine).  
  • What are you looking for? Maybe you can get advice on other venues to look at? I'm having mine at the Boat House, but mainly only bc of RWB. My sister is using Clintonville Women's Club and i was impressed what all the extras that come with it. 
    I'm waiting to hear back from Clintonville Women's Club.  The ballroom looks like it would work for my vision, I just hope the price fits my budget.  

I fell in love with the look of Four Seasons Columbus (in Hilliard) but their F&B minimum was way out of line with what I wanted to spend.  Plus they wanted to charge extra for each booster seat or high chair I needed.  I'm not going to play that game.

I was pleasantly surprised by Graystone, but I would have to make too many compromises for it to work.  The parking would be an issue and the lack of natural light defeats the purpose of having an afternoon wedding.
  • edited July 2013
    @AprilH81 SHOELACES -- Staff is the FRIENDLIEST ever! Food is hot and tons of it, I attribute this to them being in the country and serving hungry farmers more than peckish city folk. My family has used them 3 times and I have been to several events they have catered. The only thing I wouldn't recommend them for is wedding cake...but her pies are tasty!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards