Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Already have a house together...

Ladies, I need a little help.  What do you register for when we already have a house and all the items needed for a house?  I know that I could register for a few things that we have been wanting, but won't buy... but what else?  I need some ideas.  My mom said that since we have everything, I should have a lingerie bridal shower.  Not trashy lingerie (well at least not all of it:)), but more of night gowns, etc.  Let me know that you think.  Thanks in advance.

Re: Already have a house together...

• Options
    Ladies, I need a little help.  What do you register for when we already have a house and all the items needed for a house?  I know that I could register for a few things that we have been wanting, but won't buy... but what else?  I need some ideas.  My mom said that since we have everything, I should have a lingerie bridal shower.  Not trashy lingerie (well at least not all of it:)), but more of night gowns, etc.  Let me know that you think.  Thanks in advance.

Register for things you want to upgrade.  Better towels, sheets, blankets.  Also, register for random kitchen things. A mixer, a juicer, a better potato peeler, etc. 

I am not a fan of lingerie showers, personally.  I think they are just odd.

• Options
    hoffsehoffse member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    I also find lingerie showers awkward.  You never know if people will follow the rules.

Like pp said, register for upgrades or things that wear out.  Our things like gardening items/tools or holiday dinnerware.  It doesn't have to be the same list that couples who are just starting out generate.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    If you don't want lingerie, you could do other themes for your shower (wine, books, cookbooks, games, lotion, restaurant gift cards, whatever interests you and your fiancé have)  I think it depends on your crowd.  I would not want to be opening gifts of lingerie in front of my Grandma and other family members, but would love it for a shower with friends.  

I also don't have much to register for because we have what we need and are moving across the country in a few years and don't want to have tons of junk to pack up.  I have a small registry for replacement items and am letting close family, and friends who ask, know that there isn't much we need but we are saving up for a honeymoon. 
  • Options
    Also keep in mind that you don't HAVE to have a shower. DH and I just got married and had already been living together several years. I created a very small registry of a few things we'd been meaning to get or upgrade and I did not have a shower. Showers are specifically for giving/receiving gifts - whether it's off a registry, lingerie, recipes, etc. For me, it just didn't make sense because I really have everything I need. If you want the experience of getting together with your friends and family members to celebrate before the wedding, you could have a bridal "lunch" instead, where no gifts are given.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    We registered for a couple of very nice pot and pan upgrades, some beautiful serving platters, and cloth napkin/table cloth sets. Those types of things could work for you!
  • Options
    There are always really nice seasonal things you can put on your registry no matter what time of year. My friend really wanted Christmas dishes but wouldn't purchase them for herself so those were the only items on her registry. Everyone had different opinions to her choices but she ended up with almost every piece she had on her list.
  • Options
    I don't see how having a lingerie bridal shower solves your problem in any way. Are wedding guests also supposed to buy this lingerie for you?

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    KDM323KDM323 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Seasonal items (like PP mentioned) are great.  Don't forget seasonal towels for the bathroom, etc also if you like changing/decorating different rooms in your house for the different seasons.

Upgrade of your current linens - a new duvet cover?  Nice sheets?  New pillows (not just pillow cases...when was the last time you got new PILLOWS?)

Here's are some that I am excited to have on our registry: 

Good silverware.  We have forks, knives, etc...but I swear, it is all mismatched and some of it has just flat out disappeared over the years!   I really hope someone gets us the silverware.   It will be nice to have a full matched set instead of mismatching silverware.

Good knives for the kitchen. 

Stemware, barware, etc.   We don't have nice stemware/barware...just mismatched random wine glasses, rocks glasses, etc...it will be nice to have matching stemware/barware for dinner parties.
    *** Fairy Tales Do Come True *** Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    I had this problem - I registered for a few upgrades - but mostly some outdoor fun stuff, gardening things, some small home improvement stuff.  I don't need/want fine china or seasonal/fancy dining stuff so instead I registered for outdoor dining stuff.  My registry was pretty small, your shower guests will figure it out!
  • Options
    My fiancé and I already have a house and everything that's typically put on a registers so we just added random kitchen gadgets, upgraded towels, and some Haitian vases that we loved but couldn't find in our Macy's !
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    We did the traditional registries to register for some upgrades, but we also created a Honeyfund website...kinda like a registry, but where people can give you a "gift certificate" instead...so ours has like $10 increments for gas (since we are driving on our honeymoon) and increments for our hotel rooms and such

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Look at the items you have now: are they going to last you through several more years? Are they in good condition?  I don't know what your exact situation is, but I know that even though my husband and I lived together before we were married, we still had my horribly scratched up $30 non-stick Walmart set of pots and pans. And my husband's chipped/mismatched dishes and glassware. Could you use a set of nice stainless steel pots and pans? A good knife set? A set of china and/or nice everyday dishes?
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers 

• Options
    I agree with the other posters- things wear out over time...when we did our registry our biggest priority was tupperware and towels. Because, especially plastic storage containers, eventually wear out over time or start smelling like moldy pizza, and nobody really likes that. We also put several towel sets on there, because the towels we have now are 5 years old. Although they're the nice fluffy ones from Kmart, they will eventually wear out. 
    Then we added camping supplies and "outdoor ware." I put a hummingbird feeder and hummingbird food on there, because that would just be so fun to watch hummingbirds feed, they're really beautiful. We also added a regular birdfeeder. We really like things like that, we have a good backyardful of wildlife and would enjoy facilitating them. And we added stuff like board games, camping supplies. (I've always wanted the board games Jenga and Sorry but have never had the opportunity to get them, and Jeff wanted Scrabble.) 
    We also added serving ware, because even though we have cooking utensils, we don't really have alot to serve with. It would be nice to take a platter of deviled eggs or what have you to church without cutting apart cardboard or whatever. And of course, printer ink because both of us are college students and deplete the ink like crazy! 
    You know, pretty much anything like that.
  • Options
    @KnotPorscha I'm not sure if ainhtnycnnyl is a spammer or not but her only four posts all promote this website.  Just wanted to alert you.
    Don't worry guys, I have the Wedding Police AND the Whambulance on speed dial!
  • Options
    I was in similar boat. We registered at Target and decided to do a few upgrades & replacements but then decided to have fun with things we would never buy ourselves but would like to have. We registered for things like a cordless powered wine bottle opener, wine fridge, mini fridge for our bar, board games (our friends like to do game nights during the winter), a large wall clock,  bocce ball set and even shelving units for our basement just to name a few things. Those are some of the things I remember since we got them. I can tel you very surprised I got both fridges but we love them!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards