Honeymoon Discussions

Charleston, South Carolina!

Some of you may remember me asking about Scotland awhile back...DH [wedding was this weekend] and I ultimately decided that with me switching jobs and him still in a PhD program, we couldn't afford to do Scotland now and will plan to go there for our first anniversary. So thank you everyone for your suggestions - we'll still be putting them to good use!

Instead, we've decided to spend our honeymoon in Charleston, S.C. later this summer, which we're really excited about. I know it will be hot, but any advice/suggestions?? Thanks! 
Anniversary

Re: Charleston, South Carolina!

• Congrats on your wedding!

H & I were just there on vacation in May.  We stayed at the Days Inn, which while not the best hotel, it offered free parking, which for downtown Charleston is a bonus!  Most hotels charge $20+ for parking per day.  Once we arrived, we did not move our car, everything is in walking distance.  Here is my more detailed review from TripAdvisor, clicky

I recommend: Tommy Condon's Pub, Dixie Supply & Baking Co. (breakfast place), Old South Carriage Tours (the Days Inn sold discounted tickets too), the Calhoun Mansion, a Ghost Tour from either Bulldog Tours or Old Charleston Walking Tours (we found a groupon for them!), and Hyman's Restaurant. 

Pack sunscreen and good sneakers, you'll be walking a lot!

• We were there a few years ago on a business trip. The company paid for the rooms, but the French Quarter Inn is a 4 star hotel that is very romantic. If you can afford it, stay there at least one night. You get a glass of chamagne when you arrive, they serve cookies and milk, wine & cheese, a full breakfast to die for, all in their lobby during the day.

For a romantic (and yes, expensive) meal, we loved the Charleston Grill. Toast is a great place for breakfast. If you are interested in either, plan ahead and make reservations.

The above poster is right, it is hot (we were there in January and the petunias were blooming and it was 60 degrees), and you can walk a lot.

Also, checking out tripadvisor.com is a great idea. I've planned trips using that for reviews on hotels and restaurants, plus activities/tours whenever we travel.

• Charleston is great, and yes, it will be very hot!  It's one of my favorite places to go, but I prefer visiting in the winter or spring.  

The Market has recently been renovated, with at least one building having air conditioning.  Definitely go on a carriage ride (or two). Hyman's restaurant is great.  It's very casual, but the food is good.  If you're looking for fine dining, Anson's is really good.  My cousin had his RD there, and it was delicious.  Mt. Pleasant, Sullivan's Island and Shem Creek (over the Cooper River Bridge) are very nice too, and more beach-like communities.  

Savannah, Georgia is about 2 hours south of Charleston.  If you're up for it, I would recommend going there as well.  

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Husk Restaurant and Fig are the best restaurants in town. Hyman is great for an informal place. It is HOT. We stayed at the embassy suites as it had a pool. It is a walk to town, but there is a free bus that runs constantly. Absolutely have loved it every time we have gone! If we go again in the spring or fall, we'll stay at a bnb in the historic distric instead.
  • Thanks, everyone! This is amazingly helpful...off to visit Google and TripAdvisor now :-)
    Anniversary
  • We stayed at the Kings Courtyard Inn last summer. I loved that you had the option of having the free breakfast delivered to your room in the morning. Also, they have free wine & cheese in the afternoons. I definitely recommend staying somewhere in the historic downtown area - we were able to walk everywhere we wanted to go. I recommend Hyman's, The Charleston Crab House & East Bay Deli as far as food goes. I second the recommendation to check out Savannah, Georgia as well - it's gorgeous!
  • Some of you may remember me asking about Scotland awhile back...DH [wedding was this weekend] and I ultimately decided that with me switching jobs and him still in a PhD program, we couldn't afford to do Scotland now and will plan to go there for our first anniversary. So thank you everyone for your suggestions - we'll still be putting them to good use!

Instead, we've decided to spend our honeymoon in Charleston, S.C. later this summer, which we're really excited about. I know it will be hot, but any advice/suggestions?? Thanks! 
    We went to Charleston in 2011 and had a great time. Our needs were a bit different from that of a honeymooning couple, as we were a married couple traveling with an adult friend. That said, I can strongly recommend the place we stayed: Holiday Inn Express across the river in Mt Pleasant.

We like staying in suites, as that works for us. With our friend in tow, the hotel suggested the Presidential Suite. I had a mini-freak-out thinking of the cost, then the guy told me it was $129/night. The Presidential Suite has two separate bedrooms, a sitting room with a sofa and desk and a nice big bathroom.

Obviously, a honeymoon couple would not be interested in a two-bedroom suite. I believe the hotel has other one-bedrooms suites and they should be less than the Presidential Suite.

We did stay there and loved it. The Presidential Suite was beautiful and perfect for the three of us. We had a rental car, so was able to get into Charleston and surroundings without any issues. The ferry to Ft Sumter was actually closer to us in Mt Pleasant than Charleston.

We were totally happy with the Holiday Inn Express and would recommend it to anyone.

By contrast: A friend of mine with two teenaged daughters went to Charleston a year before we did. They wanted to stay in the city, and ended up at the Indigo Inn. They got one room with two queen sized beds, so the two girls just shared a bed. They were really happy with that place and recommended it to us. We would have probably stayed there, if not for the need for a suite for three adult people. In retrospect, a family of four would have been more comfortable in that Presidential Suite. That's water under the bridge, so to speak.

Places we went: Ft Sumter and lunch at Hyman's. It's a tourist trip, yes, but a very good tourist trap. I have another friend who goes to Charleston every year to stay with friends and Hyman's is a must-go for her. We also went to the Boone Plantation and took the tour. Facinating. Our tour guide was one of the best I have ever encountered.

• H and I have been to Charleston twice, and we'll definitely keep going back!

The main thing to Charleston is the food! The PP have all mentioned top restaurants. We've eaten at (and recommend): Poogan's Porch and Cru Cafe for lunch. Cru was awesome, but it only seats 36 people, so you NEED a reservation. Brunch is a big thing in Charleston too. We recommend Toast and 82 Queen. Also, a really nice, relaxing, fun time was happy hour at Pearlz Oyster Bar. Oysters, shrimp cocktail and fish tacos cheap. Plus $3 glasses of wine and champagne! It was so much fun people watching while we were there.

You can easily stay across the Cooper Bridge in Mt. Pleasant, like we did. We were at the Hampton Inn across from the Holiday Inn Express. It's a five-minute drive to downtown. If you do stay in Mt. Pleasant, please visit Sullivan's Island. It's a small laid back town. We had dinner at Poe's Tavern and Fiery Ron's BBQ. We will be going back to both! Nothing fancy, but very tasty burgers at Poe's and awesome ribs and Ron's. Both places were packed when we went.

I would also recommend a southern plantation while you're visiting. We've been to Middleton Place and Cypress Gardens. I also would go to Magnolia Plantation and Boone Hall Plantation. We also did a walking photo tour with Liz Duren from Say Charleston! It's a 90-minute walking tour where she takes you around and tells you about the history of the city, while taking photos of the two of you! You get two free shots with your walking fee. Would be special for a couple on their HM.

Whatever you decide to do, you will no doubt have a great trip!

Congrats on your wedding and enjoy the HM!
  • I live in Charleston so I can attest to the heat and humidity. It is no joke. Be prepared to sweat. Charleston  is a beautiful city with so much to do.There are a lot of cobblestone streets so be careful in heels. I would recommend wedges instead of heels. I just made my wedding website with a ton of ideas of things to do and places to eat. I can send you the link if you send me a private message.

-Katrina

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards