Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums
Options

Tanning

I'm getting married on September 14th and the weather has been less than cooperative so far here in Michigan, so I'm forced to do the tanning bed for the time being, but I'm not sure when I should start! I tend to tan easily. How many times a week should I go? I already have an olive skin tone, so I'm not looking to get too dark.

Re: Tanning

• Options
    You start by not doing a tanning bed - so unhealthy. Your skin will thank you in 30 years! You can also easily burn in a tanning bed as well - you don't want blotchy and peeling skin on your wedding day. 

I recommend you find a reputable spray tanning salon in your area. There are gradual and odorless spray tans out there. And if it's done well, you can control exactly how much darker you will get. Plus! You can go like two days before the wedding and be completely done with it. Less work/stress!
  • Options
    PDKH, thank you but I wasn't looking for a lecture. I'm fully aware of what tanning beds do. I prefer sitting outside, but like I said the weather hasn't been cooperating.

I've had bad experiences with spray tan, so we'll see if I give it another shot. Who knows, the weather might even cooperate, I was outside not even tanning for a couple hours yesterday and got a little color.
  • Options
    Didn't know two sentences qualified as a lecture but ok.

FYI, even though it gets cool outside, the UV might be really high. So as long as it isn't unbearably cold in your suit, you might still be getting a tan.

If you want to fake bake still, stage has very good advice on how to do it carefully.
  • Options
    UV can be high on visually cloudy days as well.
  • Options

@Bianca1926 I went tanning prior to my wedding.  I would talk to the people at your salon and ask for their opinion on which bed would be best for you and what amount of time you should start.  For me, going 3 times a week was plenty.  I would work up on the allotted amount of time every other week (or less depending on my coloring and if I was feeling even slightly red).

Yes tanning is not great for you but neither is a lot of other things.  I believe in moderation.  As long as you aren't going daily for the rest of your life I think a month or two of tanning 3 times a week will be fine.

• Options
    Definitely talk to the person at the tanning salon on how long she recommends you go in for your first time since different beds have different levels and max times. Stage also offers excellent advice. 

I went tanning once a week for 5 weeks leading up to my wedding. I didn't want to be super tan (I tend to get very dark in the summer) but I did want some color and this was the perfect amount for me. 

• Options
    Thanks ladies. :)
  • Options
    Spray tan!! Its the best and your skin will look flawless!
  • Options
    I have a question about spray tans also to those who have done it. Is it normally done inside a booth? I would consider going that route, but I have a physical disability that requires me to use a walker to even stand. I wouldn't know how to support myself I had to go inside a stand up booth.
  • Options
    mlg78mlg78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    I just started tanning last week for my 9/21 wedding because I wanted a bit of color for vacation in two weeks too.  I started out at 8 minutes which is typical when I've done it in the past...but have gone as low as 6 at times too.  Every time I go I increase by just one minute.  I think no more than 3 times a week is necessary...
  • Options
    Dma361Dma361 member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    I tanned for the first time a couple years ago before a cruise. My logic on it was that it is better to gradually build a tan than it is to burn. Now, I'll tan for a couple months at a time, especially before vacations. I freeze my membership completely in the winter, and pick it back up in the spring to use in spurts, like I said. Moderation is fine. I'd still rather tan than burn, which causes a ton of damage. I'll definitely be tan for my wedding because I like the way it looks and I definitely want to be tan on my honeymoon and not have to worry about burning as much.

With that said, I use a level 3 bed (out of 6 levels they offer, so mid range). It's a 12 minute bed, and I usually start at 6 or 8 minutes. I gradually work my way up, a minute or two at a time. Once I get to the tan I want, I maintain it at about one visit a week. Use a really good quality lotion made for indoor tanning (check amazon....salon prices are crazy). Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards