Hawaii

Guest accommodation recommendations in Lahaina, Maui (Olowalu Plantation House)

dhpryordhpryor member
First Comment
edited June 2013 in Hawaii
It seems a lot of people on these boards have gotten married at Olowalu Plantation House too, so Id love to hear where you and your guests stayed for the wedding and if you have any tips or advice. We'll have between 75-100 guests for our wedding in January. Our travel agent has recommended Royal Lahiana, Kaanapali Beach Club, Honua Kai and the Hyatt ( the last two are much more $$, not sure how much of a group discount we can get). Where did you stay? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Mahalo

Re: Guest accommodation recommendations in Lahaina, Maui (Olowalu Plantation House)

• My family and I stayed at Westin Villas, but we had a timeshare accommodation to help with that.  Some other family stayed in nearby condos that they found online through VRBO, but I have also heard good reviews for the places you mentioned as well.  Overall, early on I decided to leave the accommodations to everyone else.  The wedding itself was enough to plan, and when I was looking into it a lot of the hotels wanted to offer me 10 rooms at a discount rate, but I had to pay for them all upfront, and if they weren't booked by family/friends I was out the money.  Too many headaches for me.  But hope this info helps.
  • HI! Just got married at Olowalu 2 weeks ago. :)

People stayed at all sorts of different places. We put up a few different places on our webpage, and let everyone take care of it themselves. I found it is cheaper for people to book through VRBO than even a group rate can offer. Plus it is just way easier for you!

We rented a condo at Honua Kai (with my brother and SIL) and it was absolutely amazing. We stayed at the Hyatt 2 nights as well, but the tower we were in was slightly dated..but the grounds are really awesome and so is their water slide!

We had some guests stay also at Honua Kai and Hyatt, Sands of Kahana, Papakea Resort, and Royal Lahaina.
  • Thanks for your responses!  We are leaning towards the VRBO route since it would eliminate a few heachaches, although might make one hotel block for the place that we ultimately choose to stay.  Honua Kai would be ideal!

Did you find it difficult to corral your guests if they're all staying at different places?  

Mahalo!

• Nope! Didn't have an issue corralling people really. We put together welcome bags and put a little optional calendar of events inside with locations and times. People showed up to what they wanted. If we did something impromptu, we just used word of mouth...granted we only had 35 guests.

On a side note, KBM Hawaii is who we rented our condo at Honua Kai from. It seems they manage a bunch of units there. Justin and John (father and son team) are so accommodating and friendly. I know some people get weirded out by VRBO, but I'd vouch for them anytime.

http://www.vrbo.com/my/c3558e5d-1a81-4ee4-9944-b81302cfc1ec/usa/hawaii/maui/west-maui
  • Nixietink, awesome. Thanks for the recommendation! Greatly appreciated!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards