Just Engaged and Proposals
Options

Basic questions! :)

I'm engaged!!!!! as of Thursday. lol

anyway... just some questions, random & mostly on time frames.

Engagement party? What do you even do at these?

Wedding party, when should we ask the people we want to be in our wedding to be in our wedding? (that sounds funny) 

When to send out STD and then when to send invitations?

Did any of you make a facebook event page? and if you do, would you after the STD or after the invites go out?

OH you are all probably just dying to know my dates! Engaged: June 27, Wedding Aug 23, 2014 :)

Re: Basic questions! :)

• Options
    Congratulations!!!

1. Absolutely do not throw your own engagement party. If someone hosts one for you, that's just fine, but you cannot host your own (since you would be the guest of honor). They really aren't anything special (just a party where someone will toast you at some point), and they totally aren't necessary. Engagement announcements aren't necessary either. 

2. Don't ask your wedding party more than a year out. Most people on The Knot recommend 9 months-ish out from the date. For you, ask people around December-January. Friendships can change, and you cannot un-ask people to be in your wedding party (well you can - but it's a jerk move). 

3. STD's typically go out 6-9 months in advance (but they can be sent up to a year in advance if you're doing a destination wedding or will have lots of out of town guests). 

4. Invitations go out 6-8 weeks in advance. 

5. DO NOT make a facebook page event. It's your wedding, not a bar crawl. That's not appropriate - make a wedding website to put additional details on there if you'd like. Keep wedding stuff off facebook as much as possible. 

First planning steps are to decide on a budget and develop a rough guest list. I took The Knot's planning checklist and edited up to use as a rough guide. Good luck!
  • Options
    love the idea of getting a website instead of fb event!!!

but when would you tell your friends/family/whatever about the site?
  • Options
    Look at weddingwire for a free website format. Don't use The Knot's, it's notoriously glitchy.   

We put our website info on our STD's. So they read:

PDKH and PDKH's Fiance are getting married!
    Date
    City

For more information, visit www.PDKHwedding.com
  • Options
    We told our friends and family about our website when we sent our STDs as well. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options

Engagement party is a great time to celebrate with close family and friends and to celebrate you two on your next big step.  Me and my fiancee are having a Cook Out/ Seafood Extravaganza in August.

• Options
    DTRODGERS said:

Engagement party is a great time to celebrate with close family and friends and to celebrate you two on your next big step.  Me and my fiancee are having a Cook Out/ Seafood Extravaganza in August.

Your party sounds fun, but I really hope you aren't hosting it yourself. It's not proper etiquette to host a party for yourself (especially a party where small gifts are often given).
  • Options
    mlg78mlg78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    The first thing you should do is try to determine your guest list.  You shouldn't be pointing your friends and family in the direction of your wedding website if they're not invited.  Definitely don't do a FB event and wait until you're less than ten months out before selecting your wedding party.  Wait until someone offers to throw you any pre-wedding party (engagement, shower or bachelorette)...and lastly, congrats!
  • Options
    Dont make a facebook event but you can make a page for just the bridal party (both guys and girls) to put up announcements and have them beable to get incontact with each other without having to go through you 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards