Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth

To Elope or not to Elope?

So my Fiance and I have been together for 4 years (high school sweethearts) and consider ourselves highly religious Christians. We are finishing up college, but are getting Married this December, but have yet to settle on a venue, mostly because of costs. I am truly tired of trying to get a venue, and get the reception, because I feel it's for everyone but the bride and groom to enjoy, so it's been stressing me out. Both of us really want a nice wedding, but can't afford it. We've cut down a lot of costs, my hair and make up is free, our photography is only $250, our minister is free, my dress was free, his sister is a custom jeweler,my aunt used to do floral arrangements, real and fake. We both have to pay for this wedding alone, no help from either parents, but don't have the money. We really want the emphasis to be on how this marriage is to glorify God,  but we don't want to disrespect our families by eloping.

So basically, anyone know of some VERY cheap indoor wedding venues for a Sunday? (Dec.15) 
Visit The Knot!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: To Elope or not to Elope?

• Why not just get married in your own church and have the reception there? This was what I did for my first wedding when my budget was $3k. Have an afternoon wedding, serve cake and punch, etc. This is going to be your cheapest option by far.
  • edited July 2013
    Technically, the reception IS a party for all the guests -- to thank them for coming.

However, it shouldn't be that stressful for you.  That said, I agree with Stephie.  Does your church have an activity center where you can host your guests afterward?  If you consider yourselves highly religious, then it should be a priority to include Christ at the center of your marriage, including getting married in His house!

Also, my husband and I dated for 6 years before we got engaged (7 by the time we were married) and it was in part because we knew we were going to be paying for our own wedding and wanted to be able to afford everything we wanted.  I'm not trying to discourage you from going ahead and getting married, but there's nothing wrong with waiting until your finances are more secure!
    Anniversary

• Thank you ladies, my church hasn't responded to me as for if I'd get member or non member pricing, because my fiance isn't a member. I've also been trying to get a discounted rate since it's a bit steep at my church.  We also talked today, and we're thinking about just making it smaller and more intimate. Our marriage & wedding will not be based off finances, but more of what God has in store for us, and after a year of prayer, God has led us to the decision to get married this December, we're sure he'll provide, we just wanted something more extravagant,, but we realize now, that God will give us what we need, not what we want, and we plan on having maybe a 10 year vow renewal so we can have a bigger wedding. 
    Visit The Knot!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We had a friend that asked me to officiate her wedding for the same reason. Here is what we did. :) Maybe it will help you too.

Have the wedding during Sunday Service and the whole church attends. Invite those that you want to attend to come. They hear a great message and get to be a part of a glorious celebration. After the wedding, have those that you invited go to either a nearby restaurant and do a buffet that you have coordinated with the place for a back room. YOU still get a beautiful ceremony, your church is involved and you have a celebration. 
    She enjoyed it and later when they could afford something more substantial, they had a huge wedding  on their 5 year anniversary. 

Good luck, Sydwil23. Whatever you choose, God has His hands on you. 
  • Thank you imjustshell, that's a great idea, I'll have to ask. My Fiance and I are still praying on finances to move out of the way, and for God's glory to shine.
    Visit The Knot!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards