Moms and Maids
Options

Looking for something special to do for my little sister

I'm getting married next year and I definitely want my little sister to be part of my bridal party but seeing as how she is underage, she can't so all of the things that being the MOH comes with so I've decided to give my best friend the title. I'm making my sister a bridesmaid but I wanted to do something special or give her an important task that way she feels like a bigger part of things, more so than just a bridesmaid, Has anyone had a similar situation? Or have any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Re: Looking for something special to do for my little sister

• Options
    Your MOH has no duties beyond buying the dress, showing up, and taking pictures. Your sister can probably do all of those things.

I think you should just make your sister an MOH regardless of her age. I was one of my sister's MOH's at age 15 and was very honored. I would have been sad if my big sister hadn't given me the title just because I couldn't throw parties or showers for her.

Regardless, please don't make up tasks for her. Those are chores, not an honor.
  • Options

So, just a reminder, under-21s get married all the time, and have their under-21 friends as their maids of honor, and they still manage to have showers and bachelorette parties and, you know, be legally married.  I don't understand what you think she can't do?  I mean, she probably can't plan a trip to Vegas for you or whatever, but there's no rule that says your MOH, rather than another BM, has to do that.  I think if I were in her shoes I would be really hurt to be left out- especially since it sounds like the only reason you're not choosing her is because she can't throw you big enough parties.

But if you're insisting on this, maybe ask her to do a reading?  Pretty much all other "jobs" are just chores that no one actually wants.

• Options

Maybe you can bring her when you go dress shopping?  I didn't bring any bridesmaids with me, so I'm sure she would feel honored to be a part of that (only if she wants to go, don't make her go).  If she is interested in being included with planning, you can bring her to food/cake tastings, go to bridal events, venue searches, etc..

• Options
    Why can't she be the MOH?  All any member of the bridal party has to do is show up, sober and on time and in the right clothes to the wedding, and walk in and stand there for the ceremony. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    I'm also not understanding why she can't be your MOH. It sounds like you already asked someone else, so that's water under the bridge. 

If you want to get her involved, ask her if she'd like to help you with DIY projects, invite her dress shopping, or to your tastings. She can always decline if she doesn't want to. Don't give her a task to do - maybe she doesn't want to do it. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    I agree with the PPs that your sister absolutely could be MOH - although at this point you would have to have 2 MOHs because you can not demote your BFF.

Personally, I think being a BM is enough of an honor and she doesn't need anything more to feel special. But if you want to make her feel special just extend the offer to include her for things like dress shopping or tastings.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards