Wedding Recap and Withdrawal

XP: I am disappointed with my photos

I got married 10 days ago and our photographer just put up all of our wedding photos on his website.  I'm not really saying he did a bad job, just that I am disappointed in the kinds of photos he took.  I know there is nothing I can do about it now since the day has come and gone, so this is really more of a vent than anything and hopefully someone can tell me what to do to get past this.

The thing that's really upsetting me is that there are hardly any pictures of just me and the groom together.  From our formal photo session during the cocktail hour, there are only 4 photos of just me and the groom together.  That's it.  And I'm not really too happy with how those 4 photos look.  There aren't very many bridal party photos either and the ones we do have just look so awkward.  We have tons and tons of family photos, getting ready photos, photos of my dress and accessories, etc., but hardly any of just me and the groom.  In my view, photos of the bride and groom are the most important.  Those are the ones you're going to frame, kwim? 

He did take us back outside around sunset to do a few more photos of just the two of us, but by then my hair was a hot mess, I was exhausted (and it shows on my face), I didn't have my veil or bouquet anymore, and the groom was sweaty and didn't have his jacket on.  The sunset photos are not even usable.

The photos are one of the post-wedding aspects I was most excited about.  I couldn't wait to get them back and start choosing ones to frame.  But now that I've seen them, I'm so disappointed.  There are so few to choose from and the ones we do have are not that great.  Maybe it's my fault for not being more explicit about what I wanted, but I really didn't think I had to tell a professional wedding photographer to make sure to get pictures of the bride and groom.  I'm getting depressed about it, especially because I know there is absolutely nothing we can do about it at this point.  We can't get dressed up and re-create the day.  I know I could ask for my money back, but I don't even want to because that won't make me feel any better.  Can someone just give me advice or say something to make me feel better?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: XP: I am disappointed with my photos

• ZeroOrchestraZeroOrchestra member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited July 2013
    Are you sure those are all the photos or is ot maybe just a showcase of the say? Ten days seems like a quick turnaround for everything.
  • I would email or call and ask if that's 100% of the photos he has of your wedding.  If he says yes, let him know you're disappointed and tell him why. It may be too late for you, but you can turn this into a learning experience for him.  Definitely don't tip him if you haven't done so already and leave honest reviews on yelp and other websites that are similar.

I, too, was disappointed in our wedding photos - the lack of photos of just the 2 of us, we got NO photos of the bridal party all together, nothing creative at all despite me showing the photographer all the cute shots I liked/wanted.  But like you said, the day is over and there's not much you can do about it at this point.  Sorry you're disappointed.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    58 invited image | 17 love destination weddings image
    20 can't make it image | 21 don't know what to do with a RSVP card image
    RSVP Deadline: March 8th
  • sis180sis180 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    You could do a "we did it" session in your wedding get up with another photographer. However, that would be an extra expense that you may not want to spend.
  • Its not much, but you should reach out to family and friends and see what pictures random people took.  There might be a few gems mixed in.  Sorry your photographer stunk.
  • I agree, 10 days is a rather quick turn around time for a professional wedding photographer. May photographers will give you a slideshow of say 100-200 images a few days after the wedding but most do not process their images that quickly and for good reason.

Did you alot enough time for photos of you and the groom once the family portraits were completed. Many couples do not plan enough time for these photos (because they want to get to cocktail hour, mingle with guests etc) hence, there are not that many to choose from because your photographer has 5 minutes to shoot everything.

Again, sorry to hear you are not loving your photos. I'd call the photographer directly and speak with him. Only he can explain what he did, everyone else is just guessing.
  • walgrrl said:
    The photos are one of the post-wedding aspects I was most excited about.  I couldn't wait to get them back and start choosing ones to frame.  But now that I've seen them, I'm so disappointed.  There are so few to choose from and the ones we do have are not that great.  Maybe it's my fault for not being more explicit about what I wanted, but I really didn't think I had to tell a professional wedding photographer to make sure to get pictures of the bride and groom.  I'm getting depressed about it, especially because I know there is absolutely nothing we can do about it at this point.  We can't get dressed up and re-create the day.  I know I could ask for my money back, but I don't even want to because that won't make me feel any better.  Can someone just give me advice or say something to make me feel better?

It's not entirely your fault, but owning a little of responsibility is in order.  I do wedding photography as a side business and while I do my best, I will not order you around on your wedding day.  I will make suggestions and try to get everything you want, but unless I have a list of those things, I have no way of knowing if I've checked everything off your list. 

I'm sorry you're disappointed.

• This is why my big splurge is my photographer. And he has already told me to make a list of must haves and he will also give me ideas when we get closer to the date.
  • I was disappointed with my photographer's shots of my dad walking me down the aisle. It was such an important moment and she captured them all from the ground, making the shots very unflattering. I (nicely) expressed my disappointment and she reviewed all the other photos she had taken and was able to find one from the beginning of our walk that was markedly better. Hopefully this is the case for you! Good luck!
  • I understand and am sorry that you are not happy with your photos. I made a list of must haves and still didn't get all the pics I wanted. PLUS, there was a "camera malfunction" where from the beginning of speeches until the open floor dance, none of the pictures came out. The cake cutting, bouquet/garter toss etc. she got none of it. Fortunately we had a secondary photographer and lots of family/friends taking pictures. 

• well I too had TERRIBLE photos. I was married in Sept. this year and I am still so depressed and upset. Everyone is asking to see photos and I refuse to show them. They are bad. Like real bad. My mom, sister and I planned the ENTIRE thing and did all the decorations, bouquets, desert, etc. all DIY. It turned out GORGEOUS and every single guests said how it was the most beautiful wedding they'd ever seen and my dress also was the most beautiful dress ever! I too loved everything. My dress was AMAZING and I was SO excited to see the photos. And then the let down was so depressing. There are maybe 3 photos of just my husband and I and they are WAIST UP!!!! There is ONE photo of just me in my dress and its from the BACK!! And there is only ONE photo of my dad and I coming down the isle and it's from our SHOULDERS up!!! One photo of our first dance and it's fuzzy and 3 photos of my dad and I first dance which is also fuzzy. Then there are tons of photos of guests dancing/partying at the reception and that's it. UGH just writing this UPSETS me so much. So I totally feel your pain!!! Thought I cannot recreate the wedding, venue, reception décor, etc. we are doing a re-shoot of just us. Yes we are getting dressed up again and having a photo-shoot. So that is my suggestion to you. Then at least you will have something to frame! I am hoping this will make me feel a little better.

• Well now I'm terrified...

I feel so bad for you, I'm sorry =/ You really should express your concern and ask if they can go back through the pictures and look for other gems they might have missed. All you can do is ask, and absolutely ask family for anything they might have captured, I know I would get a crazy amount of emails offering up pics if I reached out in panic mode like that. So again, try all your options first and keep your chin up!

• Awww I'm so sorry you didn't like your photos.  That really sucks.  There's not a whole lot you can do about it about it besides vent.  Make the best out of the photos you have.  Do you know anyone who is good at photo editing?  I know some girls who hated their photos and they had them re-edited and they liked some enough to frame them.

I really lucked out with our wedding photos.  I would have been devastated if they hadn't turned out well. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards