Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Does this dress make me look fat?

Just looking for blunt answers here thank you!

Re: Does this dress make me look fat?

• Options
    NYCMercedesNYCMercedes member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2013
    No, you don't look fat. If you were more covered, however, I think the dress would be more flattering. It just seems a little bare and nightgownish for my taste. ETA I'm an old fogey, remember.
  • Options
    Thank you I appreciate the opinion I'm thinking of maybe getting some kind of wrap or shawl to wear. I loved it when I tried it on and at all my fittings its just the more I look at the pictures the more insecure I feel about it or if I should just get a new dress. 
  • Options

I don't think you look fat, but I also don't think it is very flattering for your body shape.    Also, your post said you have had your fittings. I don't think it looks like it fits you correctly.  The back is gapping at your hips. 

I would probably talk to a seamstress and see if they can match the fabric and put a back piece on the dress to cover your back.

• Options
    thanks I noticed that as well this was today I picked it up she did great with the bra. I just think in the excitement of it all I wasn't really paying attention or thinking as clearly as I should have been. 
  • Options
    I think if you have a privacy panel added to the back, even a somewhat sheer one, you'll be happier and feel more confident.  
  • Options
    What @fiercefemme said about the privacy panel!
  • Options
    QueerFemmeQueerFemme member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited July 2013

I think the veil would look nice with that dress, but I don't think it will accomplish covering the "problem areas" like you think it will.    I'm sorry to be a downer.  But, you did ask for blunt opinions.

ETA:  I think the fabric will need actually be against your skin and sewn into the dress to actually make a difference. 

• Options
    @fierceFemme no your not a downer at all! That is why I came here I know the people I know in real life would just tell me it looks great haha. Which is what they have been doing heck I showed my mom this picture and she was even like no it doesn't look like that at all in real life its just the angle of the picture! 
  • Options

that's why I hate friends & family sometimes!  they are just so afraid to hurt your feelings, they sugar coat everything. 

For the record, I do NOT think you look fat. And this is coming from a plus size bride.  But, I think for those completely backless dresses, any little roll or flaw is really highlighted.  If those little rolls show up in the photo in this angle, then it will look like that in some of your photographer's angle's also.  And when you bend, turn, etc., those rolls will be there.   Mostly, I'd be concerned that you'd be worried about those angle's during your wedding & reception and not have as much fun.

You could have the seamstress add a privacy panel in satin, like the bottom of the dress and you wouldn't even notice that it didn't belong there originally.  Or, even in chiffon, to match the fabric on the straps. 

• Options
    Thank you I appreciate that!

I think I will take the fabric from my old veil to fill in the back and buy the longer veil as well I think that will cover it and be the most cost effective way. I really like the dress and the rest of my body I'm not uncomfortable with it. I just really didn't notice I had those two roll things on my back lol. Oh well if this has been the only real "dramm" surrounding my wedding I think I'm lucky haha.
  • Options
    NYCMercedesNYCMercedes member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2013
    @fiercefemme is wise. In looking at the photo again, there is a gap below the strap. It is most noticeable on the left in your picture. That needs to be addressed. The privacy panel or wider straps (can they be added to with bling or similar fabric) or maybe even dress tailoring would provide more coverage. Maybe even another set of straps to close the gap and provide more coverage would do. Of course the veil would be beautiful for the ceremony, or even a mid-length one that you could wear the whole time would provide coverage.
  • Options
    Thank you I appreciate that!

I think I will take the fabric from my old veil to fill in the back and buy the longer veil as well I think that will cover it and be the most cost effective way. I really like the dress and the rest of my body I'm not uncomfortable with it. I just really didn't notice I had those two roll things on my back lol. Oh well if this has been the only real "dramm" surrounding my wedding I think I'm lucky haha.
    I would only use that veil if it is very close to the fabric that is currently being used for the straps.  If it is tulle, which it probably is (most veils are), it might end up looking crazy with three different fabric types. (satin from the dress, chiffon from the straps and tulle from the veil.    Try it out, but take the dress to a reputable seamstress and have them fix the straps and sew in the new fabric.
  • Options
    @nycmercedes

Thank you for pointing that out I am going to try another seamstress this time. Idk if I'm correct in saying this but I feel like maybe she should have also pointed out how unflattering the back is in its current state and offered solutions. but I could also see why she would not want to point that out. 
  • Options
    Good luck. It's a beautiful dress, from the back anyway. Be sure to AW the pictures of front and back when you are finished.
  • Options
    @nycmerecedes I will for sure! I totally love all the straps and the front is even prettier! I just wish I was maybe a teeny bit more realistic at how it looked on me vs. the hanger! oh well let that be a lesson to any new brides that stumble upon this thread!
  • Options
    @nycmerecedes I will for sure! I totally love all the straps and the front is even prettier! I just wish I was maybe a teeny bit more realistic at how it looked on me vs. the hanger! oh well let that be a lesson to any new brides that stumble upon this thread!

:)  I think ulimately, it will look fabulous.  If you get that privacy panel added, you can wear undergarments that will help control that tiny little roll.  (If I can control MY rolls, you can certainly handle those little tiny ones!)   the spanx shorts that go down to your knees (like bike shorts) are great for tucking in back chub and also, really smoothing out the hips & thigh area.

I second @nycmercedes about finding a different seamstress. She should have never let you leave with those straps like that and that gab at your hip/waist area.  And honestly, I do think she should have suggested something for your back.  Even if it was just as casual as "do you want to add some fabric for coverage here?"

• Options

Yes. sorry to be blunt. But sometimes you need ask some strangers for the answer. Sorry again, good luck!

• Options
    First, let me say you've got a beautiful figure and are not fat at all. Unfortunately though, the dress highlights the ONE spot that I would personally want to cover if I had your shape. I think it would be a great idea to basically widen the lower straps a significant amount so that instead of a fully open back it's more of a "peekaboo" look for the lower back. I don't know if I'm describing what I mean very well. I would not rely on simply a veil or a see through panel covering the entire back. Good luck!
  • Options
    @nolabridealmost I agree maybe the straps being wider would be better. I guess Ill just approach my seamstress and basically do what ever she thinks would be best for covering it. I'm also going to try running over to davids bridal and seeing what they have that I could buy off the rack. Maybe if I go by myself or just with my MOH I won't feel so overwhelmed and will be able to make a more logical decision. 

• Options
    @nolabridealmost I also get what your saying and I really like that Idea. I have all the material left from when she hemmed it and a few other things, I wonder if there is enough scrap fabric to make a wider strap. I have spanxs as well so that will fix the lumpy-ness on my bottom I just forgot to bring them with me. 
  • Options
    16maybeless16maybeless member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited July 2013
    I think the straps are just not hitting you in the right place; it feels like they ought to be lower.

A quick and dirty Photoshop of what the back would look like with thicker straps. If you have extra fabric, you should be able to widen the backpiece in order to hide the larger gap and any extra bits of you that you don't want seen!

• Options
    I think the straps are just not hitting you in the right place; it feels like they ought to be lower.

A quick and dirty Photoshop of what the back would look like with thicker straps. If you have extra fabric, you should be able to widen the backpiece in order to hide the larger gap and any extra bits of you that you don't want seen!

I agree - this adjustment would make the dress look absolutely fabulous! 
  • Options
    I think they should be even wider, and make the opening more of a keyhole.
  • Options

@16maybeless

Wow that looks great!! Im going to print that off and bring it in to show my seamstress! Thank you so much!

• Options
    I can't guarantee that it can be done but provided you have enough fabric, it can. It is an alteration I've made to my own dresses in the past (and I'm a horrible-to-average seamstress); the only issue is the quantity and type of fabric. Silk chiffon is the devil.

Anyway. I knew this design degree was going to be helpful someday. :-)
  • Options
    SBminiSBmini member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited July 2013
    I hope that solution works out for you!
  • Options
    I agree the style isn't the best as it stands today. Thicker straps will help, look how strong your back looks in the modified strap photo vs the first. I would also see if they can line it. As is its going to be very hard to find something to wear under it that doesn't show. And you don't want lines and bumps in your photos! Your alteration costs might also spike...keep that in mind.
  • Options
    I have nothing to add regarding the dress as others have already put all my thoughts into words and I think it will turn out looking lovely, but I want to say, although this dress (in the current state) isn't the most flattering, you have a beautiful figure! 
  • Options
    Thanks every one for all the compliments!! I am very excited about the dress now I hope it can be done! I will deff show pictures of it if we can get it to work!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards