New Jersey
Options

Dance Lessons

My finace and I are thinking of taking dance lessons. Have any of you taken them? Did they help? How many sessions would you suggest and what price range should I expect to spend? We live in Morris County, any places you would suggest to take lessons? I don't know anyone who has taken lessons so any information would be helpful.

Re: Dance Lessons

• Options
    FI and I are currently taking lessons at Arthur Murray (we live in MA, but they have locations all over). Our first dance is a waltz, so I thought it would look silly if we just did a regular slow dance. I told them I didn't want a choreographed dance; I just wanted us both to look like it came naturally.  It's working so far!  It's not as easy as we thought it would be and we definitely need to practice, but as long as you don't mind getting your toes stepped on a bit, it can be a lot of fun. It can be pretty expensive, though.  Luckily, when we started talking about it, I found a Groupon for two private lessons, two group lessons, and two of what they call parties (they spend a few minutes teaching you the basics of a bunch of dances; it's fun) for like $45. After our first lesson, we realized it would take more than two lessons to look like naturals (unless we wanted to spend our entire first dace doing basic box steps), so we opted to buy a package of five more private lessons (which included some more group lessons and parties--which weren't really important to us, but they get you used to dancing together and to different types of music).  The instructor recommended eight, but that package was WAY out of our price range. I think we ended up paying close to $800, but they let us split it up into two payments.  For us, it was worth it!
  • Options

Hi!

@PandPMeant2B basically wrote it out perfectly!!! :) My fiance and i are also taking dance lessons from Arthur Murray (i kinda wished we had the groupon now!) They are very pricey in my opinion but you do get a lot out of the lesson. We got a complimentary free session and then we also signed up for 5 lessons at about $800ish. The lessons are about 45 / 50 mins each.There are plenty of locations around New Jersey - we go to the Bound Brook location and our dance instructor is amazing! We went from not knowing anything to a full on choreographed dance! I am so excited for our first dance - we have about 3 more lessons left and so far its been really fun!

I would recommend Arthur Murray if you have the budget for it - you dont have to do packaged lessons but i believe it works out in your favor as opposed to paying per each one. They have a package of 3 dance lessons as well for about $500.

Good Luck - and look out for that groupon deal because that could have def saved us some money :)

Anniversary

Vacation
  • Options
    GiaspoGiaspo member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary
    We were looking for inexpensive dance lessons too and took them through the Morris County community school (we are in Morris County too). They don't advertise for some reason... Call the number and see of they are still doing it. The instructor was Pat and we went to Freylinghuysen Middle School, and she also lffered to do a rehearsal at our reception hall. I think it was $150 for four lessons which included a choreographed dance to our first song. It's casual but was perfect for us. Good luck!

• Options
    I also live in Morris County and was looking at dance lessons. My fiance can dance, but I am awful!! And he's not a very good teacher. I did see a bunch of places on groupon!!! Check them out! I haven't tried any yet.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards