Plus-Sized
Options

how far did you go to find a plus-size dress?

I'm getting married for the second time next summer.  First time, I wore a street-length dress and now I have more time to plan and more body to cover.  I live in a very small town and there are not many wedding dress shops nearby; those that are don't carry much in plus sizes.  I can't afford to run all over the country to find a dress.  How did you go about finding the plus-sized gown of your dreams?

Re: how far did you go to find a plus-size dress?

• Options
    I would recommend finding dress designer you like and then using the store locator feature on their website. I live in a major metropolitan area, so I was fortunate no to have to travel far for a dress.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
              I'd figure out where the closest shop is to you that specializes in plus sizes and go there if at all possible. Being able to try on anything in the store makes a huge difference.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    hyechica81hyechica81 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited July 2013
    you want to go to a place that has your sizes. can you do a google search on plus size wedding gowns in your state near your town.? i can help you if u send me a pm just give me your city town or state and ill pm you what i find.

morliee has a plus size line julietta
    venus has a plus size line
    allure has a plus size line
    calista is plus 
    bonny has a plus size line 

hope this helps 
  • Options
    zizibet said:
              I'd figure out where the closest shop is to you that specializes in plus sizes and go there if at all possible. Being able to try on anything in the store makes a huge difference.

That's part of the problem.  None of the shops nearby (an hour away, minimum) specialize in plus sizes.  I did go to one store a few months ago, and only two dresses on their racks were "plus size" ... I'm sorry, but I don't consider a size 14 to be "plus".  Also, the interior structure (built-in bra) wasn't "plus-size" either ... couldn't have been bigger than for someone a size 6, at best.  I mean, seriously?  Us big girls are wide ... so our boobies are not close together.  We're big.  It's not brain surgery, designers ... why does this have to be so difficult???

It makes me really sad that I am going to have so much trouble getting a gown.  I deserve to wear a great gown for my wedding, and my fiancée deserves to see me looking my best in an amazing gown!  Why can't there be designers who do specifically plus-size gowns?

• Options

zizibet said:

That's part of the problem.  None of the shops nearby (an hour away, minimum) specialize in plus sizes.  I did go to one store a few months ago, and only two dresses on their racks were "plus size" ... I'm sorry, but I don't consider a size 14 to be "plus".  Also, the interior structure (built-in bra) wasn't "plus-size" either ... couldn't have been bigger than for someone a size 6, at best.  I mean, seriously?  Us big girls are wide ... so our boobies are not close together.  We're big.  It's not brain surgery, designers ... why does this have to be so difficult???

It makes me really sad that I am going to have so much trouble getting a gown.  I deserve to wear a great gown for my wedding, and my fiancée deserves to see me looking my best in an amazing gown!  Why can't there be designers who do specifically plus-size gowns?

did you see my post???? those designer i listed specificaly have bridal lines just for plus size morilee's gowns have ample room in the top so your ladies can fit  i have that issues 42D and morilees gowns fit me the best

its def worth taking a drive someplace an hour away but make sure they have plenty of styles and sizes you can fit into im a 22 street size and anything from a 20-30 i was able to get into and see how it looked on me 

http://www.morilee.com/bridals/julietta plus line

http://www.allurebridals.com/category/women plus line

http://www.bonny.com/collections/unforgettable plus line

http://www.callistabride.com/ only does plus 

http://venusbridal.com/bridals/venus-woman plus

click on these links to see what kinds of gowns you like almost all of the models are plus size allure and bonny may have some dresses where a smaller sized model is show. 

• Options
    I went to a special plus size bridal salon here in Indiana and drove almost two hours to get there. Where I got my dress was about an hour from where I live. Good luck on your search! 
  • Options
    I traveled about 45 minutes from where I live to get my dress, and I live in a somewhat major metropolitan area... Twin Cities, MN

I loved the shop I went to and will gladly recommend it to anyone else I know looking for a dress.  I plan on getting all the bridesmaids dresses there as well!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I found my dress in a shop about 20 mins away from me. The experience in the store was aweful (I actually cried because no one cared to help me even though I had an appointment and a $5K budget). So I went online, found the next closest store that sold it and drove 1.5 hours to buy it. I then emailed the original store to let them know what happened and they never even bothered to contact me.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards