Chit Chat
Options

What to do in Atlanta

My husband and I live in RI and will be moving to the Atlanta area within a year. We are going down there mid September to look at houses but also to have vacation. We want to go to six flags, the zoo, the aquarium, and eat at a ton of great restaurants. Any suggestions from those of you who ave been there before? Thanks!

Re: What to do in Atlanta

• Options
    I've never been, but when I worked at an international airport, I heard from many customers about how the aquarium is just amazing...post pics for those who don't get to go?  Although I will shout out for the Monterey Bay Aquarium is anyone comes to northern California...the last time we went, they had a real life great white shark.  That was so.damn.cool.

Previously Alaynajuliana

• Options
    Yes, I also heard great things about the aquarium. We will for sure be doing that :)
  • Options
    Do you like burgers or milk shakes? You absolutely have to go to Flip Burger! I've only been once. I'm not a huge meat eater, but this was one of the best meals I've ever had! Seriously awesome!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options

My only advice for Atlanta is to never use the Interstate ever, ugh. So many Atlanta-based traffic nightmares.

But they do have an IKEA.

• Options
    I've heard about the traffic!! Flip burger, I will definitely check that out...thank you :)
  • Options
    Sweat your ass off.  I've only been to Atlanta once, for a work seminar, and that's all I did.  I'm clearly still a little bitter about it. :) Good luck with the house search!
  • Options
    Oh yes, I have heard how hot and humid it is down there!  Here in RI it has been CRAZY humid all week, so I think it is helping me prepare for the move! LOL
  • Options

Phbt, this year hasn't been bad at all. This exact weekend last year, it was 115 with 70% humidity. Usually the South is like the bowels of hell during the summer. I have no idea why it's so mild this summer, but I don't trust it.

• Options
    115, wow!
  • Options
    The aquarium is cool (and the largest in North America), but it is crazy busy.  Try to plan to go on a weekday while school is in session to see the most.  World of Coke is cheesy, but something you have to do at some point if you're going to live here.  Margaret Mitchell is another cliche one that I think everyone has to do at some time. 

The High Museum is really cool.  It was the place my husband fell in love with when I first brought him to visit Atlanta before he agreed to move.  There are always new art exhibits coming through.  

If it's September, I would also try to do some of the fall things.  It's still pretty warm, but there are a couple of ghost tours (Marietta is cool, Roswell sucks) and corn maze things.  If you wanted to get out of the city for a day, there is a North Georgia wine trail that goes up through the mountains.  September is a good time of year for that.  

Traffic is bad, but it's not unmanageable.  If you stay in town, you won't get too stuck.  Plan your days to be somewhere during rush hour, and you'll be fine.  
  • Options
    In the summer be sure to take 2 showers a day and drive everywhere (in air conditioning) even if it would only be a short walk
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards