Honeymoon Discussions
Options

What are some good honeymoon resorts?

Hi! Ok. So I've just recently started looking at budgets and honeymoon plans. However, before I do anything concrete.. ( As I have found a resort in the Maldives - Velassaru, I believe it's called)...I wanted to ask a few questions.

1) Has anyone been to the Maldives ( if so what are they like?)
2) Temperature? Climate? Weather?
3) if you never went- have you ever wanted to go? If so , why?
4) Can you please tell me either a) which resort/country you are going to or b) which resort/country you went to for your honeymoon?

Thanks! :)

Re: What are some good honeymoon resorts?

• Options

I have not been to the Maldives, but am planning to go soon. Everytime we have wanted to go there, something came up that prevented it. Anyway, your questions are VERY broad. What time of year are you traveling? What have you decided your budget will be? What type of HM are you looking for (relaxing, adventurous, a mix?) If you really like the Maldives, expect long travel times and a large expense. The absolute cheapest I've ever seen it a trip to the Maldives is around $8000 for a week not including anything you spend while you are there. Plus, that is also in their low season. Expect something more in the $10K+ range.

Anyway, to answer your last question- I have been married twice. The first HM was French Polynesia- Tahiti, Taha'a, Bora Bora. The second was Australia, mainly Wilson Island and Lizard Island. However, what I wanted out of a HM may not be what you are looking for. I recommend giving us more info and we'll gladly give you more detailed info :)

• Options
    A couple just honeymooned there and posted pictures every single day on my FB. They were in a bungalow, it was GORGEOUS and I wish we would have thought about that location prior to booking Jamaica. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I have not been to the Maldives, but am planning to go soon. Everytime we have wanted to go there, something came up that prevented it. Anyway, your questions are VERY broad. What time of year are you traveling? What have you decided your budget will be? What type of HM are you looking for (relaxing, adventurous, a mix?) If you really like the Maldives, expect long travel times and a large expense. The absolute cheapest I've ever seen it a trip to the Maldives is around $8000 for a week not including anything you spend while you are there. Plus, that is also in their low season. Expect something more in the $10K+ range.

Anyway, to answer your last question- I have been married twice. The first HM was French Polynesia- Tahiti, Taha'a, Bora Bora. The second was Australia, mainly Wilson Island and Lizard Island. However, what I wanted out of a HM may not be what you are looking for. I recommend giving us more info and we'll gladly give you more detailed info :)

Um.. Ok. Well I am actually the heiress to a bunch of different Scottish families ( and one Irish) , so money is no issue. I'd say our budget is about $15-20,000 currently. When would we rather go?.. Most likely whenever it doesn't have monsoons or hurricane's. I'd prefer to go when it's nice and hot. However I am also a redhead, so he is worried I will get heatstroke. Therefore my other question is : how hot does it get there? Ok. Relaxing vs Adventurous. Shawn is very down too earth in this way actually. I have Grand Mal seizures , so can't do anything like sky diving , BASE jumping or scuba diving. However because I have a response dog, he understands and steps away to do those things himself. It helps him to relieve stress. :) But, we've agreed that the honeymoon should be a vacation together and that it should be as relaxing as possible. Therefore, he has agreed not to do anything adventurous if I don't get absorbed in my medieval books. :)
  • Options
    Kida07 said:

Um.. Ok. Well I am actually the heiress to a bunch of different Scottish families ( and one Irish) , so money is no issue. I'd say our budget is about $15-20,000 currently. When would we rather go?.. Most likely whenever it doesn't have monsoons or hurricane's. I'd prefer to go when it's nice and hot. However I am also a redhead, so he is worried I will get heatstroke. Therefore my other question is : how hot does it get there? Ok. Relaxing vs Adventurous. Shawn is very down too earth in this way actually. I have Grand Mal seizures , so can't do anything like sky diving , BASE jumping or scuba diving. However because I have a response dog, he understands and steps away to do those things himself. It helps him to relieve stress. :) But, we've agreed that the honeymoon should be a vacation together and that it should be as relaxing as possible. Therefore, he has agreed not to do anything adventurous if I don't get absorbed in my medieval books. :)

IUm, Okay, so budget is no issue. You have to keep in mind that most girls on here DO have a budget. So, the question has to be asked. That being said, I spent around $20K on my first HM and quite a bit more on my second, but it also included about $8K worth of wedding costs. So, I recommend looking in to French Polynesia or Australia. Lizard Island was amazing and we're planning on going back next year. You can definitely make the Maldives work with that kind of budget. We wanted to get married there, but they don't allow legal weddings. But, we looked into W Maldives, Cocoa Island and Banyan Tree Madivaru. We've also been to the Seychelles, which is another excellent choice if you have a flexible budget. We stayed at Denis Private Island, but if we go back (and we're planning on it!), we'd like to also stay at Raffles Praslin. Also worth considering is Fiji. you can check out Wadigi, Tadrai, Wakaya Club, Royal Davui, or even Laucala if you really want to splurge!

The best time to go is December through April. I'm planning on going, when I go, in December.

• Options
    Kida07 said:

IUm, Okay, so budget is no issue. You have to keep in mind that most girls on here DO have a budget. So, the question has to be asked. That being said, I spent around $20K on my first HM and quite a bit more on my second, but it also included about $8K worth of wedding costs. So, I recommend looking in to French Polynesia or Australia. Lizard Island was amazing and we're planning on going back next year. You can definitely make the Maldives work with that kind of budget. We wanted to get married there, but they don't allow legal weddings. But, we looked into W Maldives, Cocoa Island and Banyan Tree Madivaru. We've also been to the Seychelles, which is another excellent choice if you have a flexible budget. We stayed at Denis Private Island, but if we go back (and we're planning on it!), we'd like to also stay at Raffles Praslin. Also worth considering is Fiji. you can check out Wadigi, Tadrai, Wakaya Club, Royal Davui, or even Laucala if you really want to splurge!

The best time to go is December through April. I'm planning on going, when I go, in December.

Oh! Ok! :) Thanks so much for that information. Yes I know I am supposed to have a budget but both my Uncle in Scotland and Grandmother over here told me $50,000 was my limit. However my mother says $30,000. Therefore I have one side of the family saying spend more and the other side saying spend less. It's confusing! Anyways, my issue with Australia is I have family over there and I am in Darwin alot. Personally, I think going for my honeymoon would be awkward. I don't want to walk down the street and be like ' Oh hi Auntie Shea! How are you today?' Its part of the reason Im not going to Britain for my honeymoon. But I will look into those other places you talked about.
  • Options
    Australia is a pretty big place and I doubt you'd see family strolling around a remote island along the Reef, but I understand not wanting to go somewhere that you have been to or that reminds you of family. There are literally thousands of high end resorts around the world, so be sure to check in here to see if anyone has any feedback if you come across a place. Keep in mind that the majority of posters on here spend on average $3K-$5K on their HMs (some less, some more), so you may not be getting the feedback you like. I do highly recommend working with a travel agent. For the Maldives, Seychelles, Mauritius (I've been there as well) or Safaris, I have a specific recommendation that I'd be happy to send you in a private message

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards