Not Engaged Yet
Options

Throwing a Baby Boy Shower-Ideas Please!

Hi girls-

I am throwing my first baby shower in years for my cousin who is expecting a baby boy in September.  We are having a brunch gathering at 11am at my house and outside of a delicious breakfast casserole dish that my mom is making and a cake, I'm not sure what to serve, do, etc.  Throw your best and favorite ideas out there for food, games, decor, prizes, anything at all.  I'm excited to be doing this for her.  

Thanks in advance!  
Meddied since 6/15/13!

Re: Throwing a Baby Boy Shower-Ideas Please!

• Options
    Don't do the stupid diaper game with candy bars as poop.  Your guests will thank you 100 fold.

We made scrapbook pages with polaroid photos at the last baby shower I went to.  It was pretty entertaining, but a bit hard to organize.

I would mainly stick to colors for decorations too.  They're way cheaper than "themes" (I used to work at a party store and this is about the only thing I learned besides that balloons are a waste of money, haha.)  Maybe blue and green or something like that.
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • Options
    At my cousin's baby shower in May, we made pins for people to wear using pink ribbon. Each guest got one when they arrived and once my cousin got there the game began. "Baby" was the hot word. If someone heard you saying it, they could take your pin and the guest with the most pins at the end of the night won the prize. My mom was the first one out and I was the second. Sigh.

We made a "watermelon baby" and "cabbage patch veggie tray" like in the pictures below. My aunt had meatballs and roast beef in crock-pots for people to serve themselves from and there were a ton of different salads to pick from as well. 

• Options

How fun! I love hosting parties like this.

What is the dad-to-be into? If he likes sports, you could pick one as your theme (soccer, football, golf)

One of my girlfriends had an alphabet themed boy shower. Each guest decorated an assigned letter ahead of time and gifted it to the mom-to-be. Then she had wall art for the nursery. Some gals even had their own kiddos paint/decorate the letters. Kind of like this:

• Options
    @Blue&White: I HATE the baby poop game!  Almost as much as the 'Taste the Baby Food' game.  Stupid.  Also, I totally agree on the 'color' thing.  Keep it simple.
    @Swazzle: That watermelon thing is adorable.  I might have to do that...
    @Allusive:  Dad is into hunting & fishing... Not sure how that would translate to a shower?

Thanks girls, and keep em coming.  I love hosting showers for friends and family!  I'm excited!
    Meddied since 6/15/13!
  • Options
    It's all coming back to me...  Games we've played that I liked:

Match the Celebrity to the Baby Name  (North West would go with Kim & Kanye)
    Name the TV Show Kids  (Brady Bunch, Cosby Kids, etc.)
    Match the Baby Photo to the Shower Guest  (Poster with Baby Photos on them is put up, most matches wins)

Not a fan of the 'Guess the Mama's Girth with TP' game, sort of humiliating.  I've had 3 babies and was not super excited about my girth.  Ugh.
    Meddied since 6/15/13!
  • Options
    Celebrity to Baby Name and TV Show kids sound fun!
  • Options
    AWing the invitations I ordered.  So stinking cute.
    Meddied since 6/15/13!
  • Options
    Maybe include some camo or blaze orange in the colors if dad is into hunting? Use pine cones or other natural elements in decorations or centerpieces?
  • Options
    @Swazzle, we did the pin game at the last shower I went to.
    @radleyboo, we matched the baby photo to the guests, too. It was fun, even if I was horrible at it.

We also did a name that tune kind of game. The hostess played 15 seconds or so each of a bunch of different songs that had "baby" in the lyrics and we had to guess the title of the song. Whoever got the most right won.

The last shower also had a word jumble of baby related words. I went to another shower where we had to fill in the blanks of a bunch of nursery rhymes (I actually won that game).

• Options
    I like the idea of the name of celebrity baby couple and TV show kids.   I hate playing the girth game.

Anniversary

• Options
    bethsmilesbethsmiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2013
    I like the idea of the name of celebrity baby couple and TV show kids.   I hate playing the girth game.
    Me too! I horribly embarrassed myself playing that game at the first shower I went to. I got distracted by someone talking to me and pulled WAY to much TP and it was like 3X the size of the mom-to-be. I felt horrible. She just laughed but I still feel bad about it.

• Options
    I always intentionally under estimate some women can be sensitive about that stuff.

Anniversary

• Options
    OMG the melted candy bar in a diaper game grosses me way the fuck out.  Not necessarily because it's mimicking poop, but because I hate chocolate and the smell combined with mimicking poop makes me gag.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards