Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Cake Help

I am stressing over the amount of servings for the cake. At this point it's hard to get quotes because you don't really know who will show up and who will not. Can anyone help me with this?

Re: Cake Help

• Options
    scribe95 said:
    You order a cake large enough for all your invited guests.

This.  Any extra cake you can take home and enjoy afterwards.
  • Options
    Order extra, in my opinion.  The "serving size" that bakeries use is very small.  Chances are, the actual size cut will be larger than that.  My cake served 140-150 people, according to the bakery.  I had about 130 guests, and I know many of them didn't even eat cake, because we also had a dessert bar.  There was hardly any cake left over.
  • Options
    I agree to order a bit more than your number of guests. Like QF said, it will likely get cut larger than what the bakery considers a "serving size."  You can't worry about having no-shows, either. Better to have too much than not enough. You just don't even want to know what would happen if I came to your wedding and didn't get cake. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    manateehuggermanateehugger member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2013
    AddieL73 said:
    I agree to order a bit more than your number of guests. Like QF said, it will likely get cut larger than what the bakery considers a "serving size."  You can't worry about having no-shows, either. Better to have too much than not enough. You just don't even want to know what would happen if I came to your wedding and didn't get cake. 

Lol cake-less Addie rage monster. I worried about this too. The two bakers that I talked to actually showed me what a serving size looks like when the cake it cut. One was a good-sized piece and I thought one was a bit small. See if they can show you a sliced cake.
  • Options
    More cake is better then not enough.  Order enough to feed your invited guests plus maybe another 10%.  Cake can easily be wrapped in plastic wrap and aluminum foil and then frozen to enjoy later down the road.

• Options
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Definitely order enough for all guests.

We had a dessert table and such (hello Italian wedding with a ton of food!) so we had a LOT of cake leftover, and we simply put it in tupperware and stuck it in the freezer.   We've had a lot of laughs whenever we get a sweet-tooth craving and decide to eat leftover wedding cake! =)  We even had friends coming over to have cake with us. haha
    The running joke is that we'd have enough to last us the whole year until our 1st anniversary layer.... sadly we finished the 'freezer cake' about 4 months shy of 1 year.

delicious nonetheless!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards