Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Guest Minister in a Church?

My fiance's grandfather is an ordained minister, and it has been his dream since he was a little boy to have his grandfather marry him. We would like to be married in a church, but found that most require that their pastor/reverend perform the ceremony, and could extend an invite to his grandfather as a guest minister. We did find a church that would let him perform the ceremony solo, but I'm wondering if anyone else had this situation? We just moved and are hoping to find a church to attend regularly on our own. If this is the case, we may wish to have our reverend marry us WITH his grandfather, but we are concerned with how that would go, and how involved grandpa may be in the ceremony. Just interested to see if anyone else went this route, and knows how big of a role grandpa may be able to play in the ceremony as a "guest minister"

Thanks!

Re: Guest Minister in a Church?

• Options
    Thanks for the feeback! you're both right, it will totally depend on the church we find as "ours," and how grandpa and the reverend want to work together. It's all in the works still but its nice to know it has been done! I'm certain the church we attend will help with all the details :) 
  • Options
    We asked the minister at our church to marry us in my hometown church where we're getting married. The minister from the hometown church said that he would write a letter of formal invitation to the officiating minister so that there would be no confusion & no one at the hometown church would give us an issue.
  • Options
    I have a similar problem. I grew up in a church, was very active in it, was a sunday school teacher and a bell choir director for years. I moved away and went to college, and a new minister came in. 

My fiancee went to a different church in another town years ago, but his old minister is still a very important person in the lives of him and his family. 

I want to get married in the church my family still plays an active roll in, but my fiancee wants his minister to officiate the wedding. I know his minister and like him and I have never met the minister who has been at my parents' church for four years now. Is there a polite way to ask the minister of my parents' church to let the minister we know officiate the wedding by himself?

I really don't want a stranger to have such an important role in the wedding, but that church itself was an important part of my life for twenty years before this new minister came in.
  • Options
    I got married in a church different then our family church. The pastor there was an old family friend so they worked with us and he and the pastor from our family church (same faith) co-facilitated the ceremony. It was very nice.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards