Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Sedona, AZ

Anyone been to Sedona, AZ?  Would it be a good honeymoon spot?  Any recommendations on where to stay?

Re: Sedona, AZ

• Options
    itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    sarjhawk said:
    Anyone been to Sedona, AZ?  Would it be a good honeymoon spot?  Any recommendations on where to stay?

My folks live in AZ, and I've visited several times over the last 7 years.

If you like hiking, biking, and/or golfing...it's a great place to be. Otherwise, DH & I find it kind of boring (we're late-20's). If it's your first time to AZ, you'll be fine...there's just enough to do/see for one visit.

If you're interested in seeing the Grand Canyon, it's obviously a driveable distance from Sedona.

Is there a reason why you picked that particular destination?

• Options
    I live just outside of Phoenix and have been to Sedona and the surrounding areas a few times. I agree with pp on things to do there and just in general. They also have some nice spas in the area. However, I found myself a bit bored after awhile. I think it also depends on when you are going as well. While Phoenix stays mild in the winter, Sedona gets a bit chilly because it's at a higher elevation.

• Options
    @itzMS We are getting married in Vegas so are trying to find soemthing in drivable distance to honeymoon at.  And it will be in March so maybe not the warmest!  Would love other suggestions!
  • Options
    itzMSitzMS member

Do you like baseball? All of the MLB Spring Training games are going on in the Phoenix area during the month of March. We go almost every year...and it's such a fun time.

If you don't like baseball, definitely pick a different honeymoon location! Hotels are booked up like crazy.

I've done Arches National Park, Bryce Canyon, etc in southern Utah during March. Yeah, it's got potential for being a bit chilly (sometimes a little snow) but the scenery is fab.

• Options
    I'm in Phoenix as well and we go to Sedona a couple times a year.  It is absolutely beautiful there.  That being said, I agree with PPs that there's not a whole lot of activities, so I'd make your stay there only a few days.  Get a nice room, maybe do a spa day, and do one of the 4-wheeling tours (we rent our own Jeeps through a company called Barlowe Jeeps, you get to drive them yourselves, but if you aren't comfortable with that, Pink Jeep Tours is very popular).  You can also drive over to Slide Rock, maybe pack a picnic lunch.  It will be too cold to get in the water, but it's a beautiful area and you can hike along the creek for a bit and enjoy the amazing scenery.  There's also a lot of great hiking/mountain biking trails, my H and I hiked Cathedral Rock a few months ago and it was awesome.

Also, like PP suggested, if you like baseball, we have a lot of spring training going on in March.  I like baseball, but don't love it, but the games are just fun anyways.  I always get seats on the grass, so you can take a blanket and lay out and enjoy the beautiful weather (March in Phoenix is usually perfect).

• Options
    I agree with pps- March in Phoenix is AMAZING! Def spend some time in Sedona, but also make your way down to Phoenix. You can do some shopping, sightseeing, baseball, and lay by the pool!

• Options
    KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    I agree with others. Sedona is a day trip, maybe 2 days max. I would go to Scottsdale. There are so many great resort and restaurants. Plus if you were planning on hiking in Sedona, you can easily to that in Scottsdale/ PHX.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I throw a vote in for Tucson-there is spring training baseball, great bars and restaurants, World class spas and resorts (my parents live down the street from Canyon Ranch), and you're driving distance to national parks and historic places (I'd suggest spending a night in Bisbee-it's beautiful!)
  • Options
    itzMSitzMS member
    I throw a vote in for Tucson-there is spring training baseball, great bars and restaurants, World class spas and resorts (my parents live down the street from Canyon Ranch), and you're driving distance to national parks and historic places (I'd suggest spending a night in Bisbee-it's beautiful!)

I'm pretty sure almost all Spring training moved out of Tucson about three years ago. The Diamondbacks and White Sox used to call Tucson home for Spring training...but that's no longer.

My parents live just north of Tucson...and DH and I don't find much to do there. We visit 2-3 times per year. Old Tucson is boring. The Bio-Dome is boring. Driving up to Mt Lemmon is fun, but only for scenery. We've been to some U of A football games, but those won't be going on in March

Miraval (just north of Tucson) is obviously one of the top spas in the country, though.

• Options
    itzMS said:

I'm pretty sure almost all Spring training moved out of Tucson about three years ago. The Diamondbacks and White Sox used to call Tucson home for Spring training...but that's no longer.

My parents live just north of Tucson...and DH and I don't find much to do there. We visit 2-3 times per year. Old Tucson is boring. The Bio-Dome is boring. Driving up to Mt Lemmon is fun, but only for scenery. We've been to some U of A football games, but those won't be going on in March

Miraval (just north of Tucson) is obviously one of the top spas in the country, though.

Aaaand now I realize how long I've been gone.  When I used to live in Tucson (grew up there), we had the White Sox, Rockies, Diamondbacks, etc.  We also had the Sidewinders (minor league team)-I hope the Sidewinders are still there!    Major fail on that recommendation.

But the spas and restaurants are still great, as is Bisbee!
  • Options
    My only recommendation if you drive down near Tucson would be maybe to check out Tombstone.  It's kind of kitschy, but cool to check out for an afternoon if you like Old West history, but honestly, I wouldn't waste my time driving that far south on your HM.
  • Options
    Sedona is drop-dead gorgeous.  It is kind of quiet but if you're looking for romance, it is a terrific place to be.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you all for all of the great comments and suggestions!
  • Options
    If you're into hiking, you're not far off from Grand Canyon, Zion National Park, Bryce Canyon National Park, etc.  Everything is gorgeous.... My fiance proposed at Bryce Canyon on our trip there last month!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards