Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Honoring Dad

My dad passed away a few years ago and I'd love to find a way to honor him during my ceremony. One idea is for my sister to sing his favorite hymn, It is Well with My Soul. Is that too sappy? 

Re: Honoring Dad

• itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited July 2013
    My dad passed away a few years ago and I'd love to find a way to honor him during my ceremony. One idea is for my sister to sing his favorite hymn, It is Well with My Soul. Is that too sappy? 

This question gets asked here a lot. You're sort of on the right track with the hymn, but not necessarily with having your sister sing it. I'd have it played instrumentally as a prelude or postlude instead. We used my Grandma's favorite hymn as our recessional (played by a pianist, not sung)

1. Have his favorite song played during the ceremony or dance to it at the reception

2. Pin a locket with his picture to your bouquet

3. Wrap your bouquet with one of his neckties (I used fabric from a dress my dad had bought me)

4. Wear a piece of jewelry that he gifted you or your mother

5. Have your bouquet made in flowers of his favorite color (or even cooler...the flower of his birth month)

6. Serve his favorite drink as your signature drink at the reception

7. Have a poem or reading by one of this favorite authors read

• Thanks for the input! Those are all great ideas.
  • I think there is no such thing as too sappy when honoring a parent. But I would also keep in mind that it may make you and your sister super emotional and you want to stay positive as the day should be a happy one!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards