August 2013 Weddings
Options

Weather Blues....

My wedding day is August 31. Beautiful Labor Day weekend in Rhode Island. Farmer's Almanac called for sunny skies on that date all spring long. I am planning on having an outdoor ceremony and reception, NE clam bake, umbrellas for shade, cool drinks, you get the picture. I just checked Farmer's Almanac again and all of a sudden they are calling for THUNDER STORMS!!!! How can it be?!?! The Bride-zilla in me is freaking out. I've spent all day on the phone with tent companies for that "just in case" monstrosity of a tent to shove my 200 guests under and ruin my beautiful outdoor wedding vision....
Should I be losing hope like this? How soon is too soon to freak about the weather? Is a tent going to be enough if it really is T-storms?
Advice/thoughts?

Re: Weather Blues....

• Options
    I'm sure the farmers almanac isn't always 100% correct. I'm probably not the best when it comes to freaking out because I haven't freaked out yet but I would just make due with the situation and I'm sure the tents will be ok. We are having an outdoor reception as well and I'm saying if it rains it rains and I'm not going to let it ruin my day/night.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Deep breaths! Farmers almanac is wrong all the time!

It's too soon to worry, but I DO think the tent is a good idea. I'm your neighbor in MA and New England is so unpredictable. I'm having a tented reception rain or shine, and they can look lovely and very classy. Other than that I'm with @Jessica41381, the only weather that would ruin my day is a hurricane cancellation!
  • Options
    Ditto on the deep breaths! You can't stress over things you have NO control over, like the weather.  All you can do is be prepared (like you are doing with the tents - agree with Xstatic that they can look very lovely). Life is all about how you handle plan B. 
  • Options
    We're having an outdoor wedding in PA on Aug. 24. Like you, I really, really don't want a tent. But I also didn't want to be anxious about the weather. We rented the biggest tent you can set up yourself. It's a lot cheaper than the really big tents, and if it's sunny (fingers crossed!), we can just not set it up.
  • Options
    Is it bad that I'm worrying about the weather- not for ceremony purposes, but for the pictures? Our August 3rd ceremony is outside (which is and always has been my preference), but we have an indoor option. I'm in Central Ohio and we've been having horrible storms roll through all summer (just like everyone else right?). I'm starting to worry because we have 3 hours of pictures planned before the ceremony (inside Ohio Stadium, etc) and I don't really have a plan B. Ugh... crossing my fingers Mother Nature plays nice for the remaining Friday/Saturday/Sundays  this Summer. 
  • Options
    Is it bad that I'm worrying about the weather- not for ceremony purposes, but for the pictures? Our August 3rd ceremony is outside (which is and always has been my preference), but we have an indoor option. I'm in Central Ohio and we've been having horrible storms roll through all summer (just like everyone else right?). I'm starting to worry because we have 3 hours of pictures planned before the ceremony (inside Ohio Stadium, etc) and I don't really have a plan B. Ugh... crossing my fingers Mother Nature plays nice for the remaining Friday/Saturday/Sundays  this Summer. 

My wedding is Aug 3rd as well and I am having an outdoor reception. The venue is tented so that will help if it decides to rain but I don't want my pictures to be out in the rain. I guess make do with whatever happens but I'm hoping and praying for no rain!
  • Options
    I've always believed that if you take "insurance" to an outdoor event, like and umbrella or poncho, it won't rain (doesn't always work, but I like to trick myself into thinking it does). I don't like to think I'm a superstitious person, but I am not afraid to admit I looked into buying umbrellas in our wedding colors today. lol  If I buy them, the hope is it'll keep the rain away, right? Perhaps "wedding brain" is a real thing. lol We'll be fine. 8.3.13 will be an amazing day regardless. 
  • Options
    8-3-13!!!
  • Options
    My venue posts pictures from weddings periodically, and I've actually seen some really cute rainy ones with umbrellas...
  • Options

I would definitely get a tent for just in case..

Rhode Island Rentals does just in case rentals - I believe you pay the deposit (and you will lose it if they do not have to come) but they will only deliver if it is necessary with the weather.

I live in RI as well, weather is never guaranteed. I think it is too early to worry - but it is hurricane season! My wedding is 8/24 and I am trying not to worry about the weather. It will be a great day no matter what!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I ended up deciding to book a loft for the reception, 5 minutes from the outdoor ceremony site. Blessing that it is all falling together at the last minute! Rain or shine, the ceremony stays where it is, and I will be happy either way, but changing the reception takes a lot of the rain worries out of it...
    And as a bonus, it turns out that booking the new venue is about the same price as the tent deposit that we would lose if it were indeed sunny.... logical, yes? Congrats to you all who are getting hitched this weekend!! My prayers are with you and your husbands on your special day!
  • Options

I'm having a DW in Florida on Aug 29 and the entire week up to my wedding (including the wedding day) is thunderstorms :(

I have always dreamed of having an outdoor ceremony and reception which is what we're planning for but if it does rain we have our back up ballroom.  Would be disappointed if we had to move everything inside but I wont let it ruin the day for me.

We all need to ban together and give mother nature a shake down lol!

• Options
    I think you all are crazy (in the nicest way of course) for putting any worth into weather predictions that far out! My wedding is next Saturday and while the 10 day forecast is out, I'm not holding anything as fact until 2 or 3 days prior.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    calquist I'm with you on this.  I am also next Saturday.  Yesterday it said 0% chance of rain today it says 60% with thunderstorms.  I'll wait until next Thursday to actually start paying attention.  If it's still supposed to rain we'll pick up some cute umbrellas for pictures.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards