Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

The Union Project??

Help, please! Had anyone had their reception/ceremony/event (or just been to one) at The Union Project? My FI and I have been together for almost ten years, and decided recently to get married in June! But, when I started calling around up there to find a reception hall, everywhere was booked!! I came across the Union Project, it's only 2 miles from the church, and was available, so I booked it. But, my FMIL went to check it out, and scared me a bit with her description... Ugh. Guess I should add, we live in TN, and so I'm having to do everything by phone (more ugh.) So, what I'm wondering about the place is: is the floor awfully bad slanted?? Is the neighborhood really sketchy? I can't be too fussy, since this place is really my only option, but if safety is a concern I'll keep hunting... Thanks for any help!

Re: The Union Project??

• Options
    Hey,
       I  have never been to a wedding at the Union Project, but I did look at it as a venue when looking for a place for my wedding. 

Pros
    Beautiful recently refinished stained glass windows
    Open floor plan
    You can bring in your own food and alcohol
    You are supporting a non-profit community organization
    Affordable

Cons
    They have yet to refinish the hardwood floors, so the floors are warped and uneven
    Parking may be difficult to find (will be on the street)

The neighborhood may seen "sketchy" to some, but I lived not far from there when I lived in PGH and never had a problem.  I never felt threatened or unsafe and I walked to work everyday in that neighborhood

The ultimate reason I chose against the Union Project was despite the many good reasons I could find in favor of it, ultimately the warped uneven floors killed it for me.  If your guests are not big dancers you should be ok though.
    PersonalMilestone Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • Options
    I would agree. I used to go to a lot of community events at the Union Project. They support some great causes but may need some covering up to have the polish you might want for your wedding
  • Options
    Thanks for your replies! I don't mind appearances so much, I was mostly worried about the floor... If it isn't a good space to dance, then it isn't really much of a place to have a wedding reception! We're going to keep holding onto it as a last resort, but we're looking around for anything better in the meantime... Which I know we're not likely to find on such short notice! Oh well... We'll make it work no matter what, because really...what's the alternative??
  • Options
    HeathenSwanHeathenSwan member
    First Comment
    edited May 2012
    I was going to look at it, but we ended up loving the Lodge at North Park. 

From what I understand, there is a 40 car parkin lot that is usable, though anything beyond that is street only. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards