Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Dia del Muerto in Mexico?

Fiance and I are getting married on October 26th, and heading to Secrets Maroma Beach from October 28th through November 4th.  We will be there for Halloween as well as Dia del Muerto (Day of the Dead - November 1, 2).  We are not huge into halloween, but figure that since we will be in Mexico for the holiday we should try to catch some local cultural stuff.  We are not interested in doing and cheesey costume whatever at the resort, but would like to go off resort to find a festival or something else.  I have googled it, and it looks like there are some events close by, but I do not want to offend any locals since it is a holiday to honor their deceased relatives.  Anyone been there during that time or have any suggestions?

Re: Dia del Muerto in Mexico?

• Options
    i would ask at the resort when you get there

• Options
    I lived in Mexico some years ago working as a volunteer at an orphanage and partook in the festivities. I'll say this-I don't think you would offend locals but it's more an instance where it pays to know someone (i.e. I wouldn't just go to a cemetery to hang out just so I could watch the observances). The high school that the orphans attended created elaborate ofendas (alters) that they decorated with pictures and tokens of their deceased loved ones as well as the customary symbols associated with the holiday (the marigolds, the skulls).

Here's a blog post with some pictures I have on it (I was in the central part of the country so no where near to where you'll be):

http://www.theredheadedtraveler.com/2011/01/visual-side-to-day-of-dead.html

I would also recommend asking at your hotel-they might either know of a public area where you can see the ofrendas or there might even be tours run by locals or expats to witness them.

My travel and cooking blog

Maui, November 2011
  • Options
    First, its actually called Dia de Los Muertos (not "Dia del Muerto"), and it has nothing to do with Halloween, so please don't equate it as such.  I doubt there would be much at a resort, but you could look for a local parade (in my hometown, we have an "All Souls Procession").  Research what occurs in the area you're staying in and hopefully there is something besides just cemetary action (which would be weird for you to attend).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards