Moms and Maids

Decision on BM Dresses please help long or short?

Im lost, I went shopping for my dress the other day (stuck between 2 very gorgeous and elegant dresses) My whole invision was the BM wear knee length dresses.  After seeing me in these 2 gowns, everyone thinks I should go with longer dresses for my BM's.  They think shorter dresses would throw off my elegant dress... what do you think?   Im having an early June wedding next year, I know I still have time to look for bridesmaids dresses but im just so unsure I wanna find out what to put them in so they can start saving for their dresses (which i will be helping out with...but can only do so much) 

Helpp

Re: Decision on BM Dresses please help long or short?

• Unless your wedding is truly black tie formal, it's not necessary for the bms to wear full length gowns. Knee length dresses can be very dressy. Who is weighing in on this decision? You should take your bms opinion into consideration because they'll be buying and wearing the dresses. Also, the bridal consultant would have a more objective opinion. Everyone else can be ignored.

Please be sure to ask each of you bms, privately, about their dress budgets. Choose a dress that is in the lower range. If you do that, you won't have to chip in for the bm dresses. 

• I am planning on giving each of the girls a $50 gift card to either use for their dresses or their shoes as part of their gift because I know money is tight with everyone right now... and it was my two sisters who one is the MOH and the other is a BM as well as my mother....  
  • I got married in early June and had short bridesmaids dresses.  When I originally picked the dresses I was under some pressure (from others, not the BMs) to pick a long dress because they (other people) thought it would be more traditional/proper.  I ignored the pressure, picked the dresses that I (and maid of honor) loved ... and guess what? There was a freak heatwave the week of my outdoor wedding and everyone was very pleased to have short dresses! They also looked great even though I had a long gown. Point of story: do what makes you and your BM friends happy!
  • You could also find pictures on line and in bridal magazines to show them pictures of brides in long dresses, with their bms in short dresses. 

• I think short dresses can be elegant depending on the color, style and fabric. Just keep your eyes peeled!
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I am getting married next May, and I selected short bridesmaid dresses because I knew my bridesmaids would be miserable in long dresses in the Alabama heat. I think you should consider how formal your event will be. That will determine whether you go long or short, but at the end of the day it is your decision. Plus, long or short, a bridesmaid dress will not take away from the elegance of your wedding dress:) 
  • I would not do long gowns unless you're having an extremely formal or black tie wedding - especially if the wedding is in June. I might be saying yes if it was in January and you lived in the north. 

Pick a nice fabric and a formal color. I think your maids will be more comfortable in shorter dresses, but you know your crowd.
    *********************************************************************************

• doeydodoeydo member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I agree with previous posters.  To-the-knee dresses for your maids sounds good for a June wedding.  
  • Pick what you and your maids like. There is no rule (other than if you were having a Black Tie wedding then yes they would need to be long).
  • I vote for short. Unless it is extremely formal. Short tends to be less expensive with more options to wear again in the future

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards