Getting in Shape

New

Hello ladies! I am new to this board and I wanted to introduce myself. My FI and I have been together for 9yrs and we are now finally starting the process of planning our wedding. It's a lot harder especially with having two little ones. That's what taken us so long on planning a wedding was because of money but we finally said we just need to start or else we will never have a wedding. So that's what brought me to the knot and I saw t his board!

I always tell myself i'm going to work out and get healthier because i'm not happy with the way my body is. So I go to the gym and it usually last a week and then I stop. A couple months ago my sister got engaged and asked me to be a bridesmaid and I was super excited. So I told myself I here it is my motivation to get into shape. I was doing great I went for an entire month! That was the longest I went, but then money got a little tight and I didn't have the extra funds for gas to go to the gym so I stopped. When I was going I went 3-4 times a week I was at the gym for a about hour half. I would start on the treadmill using the c25k app, after that I went on the arc trainer for 30mins. Once I completed that I would switch my days up from doing abs, legs and arm work. I would track my food on mfp. I lost a few pounds and I was sooooo excited! 

I know the only person that is really going to get me going to the gym is myself and I have to be determined and I was while I was going. I just fell back right into my old self once I stopped going. I just don't know what it is I always just fall right back in the same rut. My other sister isn't any help she always says yeah she goes for like a week and that's it. I don't have a much support system besides my little brother he always went the gym with me and worked out with me. FI doesn't really help because he loves me the way I am already, but the thing is I don't feel comfortable with myself.

Please help me!!!!

Thank you,

April

image 125 Invited So Far
image 26 Are Ready To Party!
image 0 Will Be Missing out!
image 0 Are MIA!

Re: New

• Hey! Welcome to the board. I agree with everything @kwitherington and @xcalygrl have said, and I will also add that maybe you need to ensure variety in the exercise you do. I don't beat myself up when I don't make it to the gym, but I do try to find something "active" to do every single day, whether it's just taking a walk or going to the park to play disk golf with my husband. I try to get 10,000 steps every single day and I don't really care HOW I get them.

Slow your roll a bit and just keep with it, take it one day at a time. 
  • Welcome! Definitely join in on the accountability threads. They keep me going. Even if you can't make it to the gym, you can get some simple at-home equipment. I have an ab wheel, an exercise ball and a yoga mat (along with a ton of yoga DVDs). We also have a treadmill, but if you like running you can do that outside!

Newton's 1st law of motion definitely applied to exercising - a body in motion will stay in motion, and a body at rest will stay at rest. So even if it isn't going to the gym, try to do something active everyday.
  • I echo everything these ladies have said (they're so smart)! 

And adding: Instead of just focusing on the number on the scale as the goal you want to hit, try using other benchmarks. Your measurements may change when the scale doesn't budge, you may be able to run for a longer time, use heavier weights, and feel overall more fit. I don't lose weight fast but I find these things change faster, and seeing those changes motivates me to keep going.

Also, as everyone said above, my biggest lesson has been if you have a bad day or meal, don't let it affect anything beyond that meal. Don't let one slice of cake turn into three slices of cake (or the whole cake - as I have been guilty of); don't go out for a big breakfast and then decide the whole day (or week) is a lost cause.
  • @kwitherington I defiantly am having a hard time executing it, you have nailed it! That is a very good point that should be keeping track of what I'm eating evening when I'm not working out. I will admit after I eat badly or had something to drink in high calories I tend not to track it. My biggest thing is my sweet tooth always gets the best of me. Once I have a brownie I have to scarf down another two. My bad habit it with drinks I love to have frappes from Starbucks or McDonald's and they have tons of calories in them! I know I should track it but I hate to see how many calories I ate :(

I defiantly should be doing things at while if I couldn't make it to the gym but some how I find a excuse not to do it bc I'm comfortable in my environment.

image 125 Invited So Far
    image 0 Are MIA!
  • @xcalygrl Are wedding is going to be October 7, 2016 I know it's a few years still but were paying for it and that's the only way how we could afford it by putting it out that far. I have two fur baby's but there cats. We have literally just started were in the middle of meeting up with our venue to take a tour and schedule a appt to meet with a photographer that we love! I haven't purchased anything yet but what does AW stand for (is it at wedding)?

image 125 Invited So Far
    image 0 Are MIA!
  • @entropicbeauty thank you for your insight!

@Liatris2010 I like what I'm doing at the gym I stay very motivated and I help motivate my brother or anyone else that goes with me. My gym doesn't have any classes or else I would love to join up. It does have free trainers but it's durning weird hours mostly durning the hours I'm at work. I would have love to have a trainer especially since they are free but it doesn't work with my schedule.

@winelover123 I will have to slowly purchase at home equipment. So then when I don't make it to the gym I can workout at home!

@jaenella I was weighing and measuring myself weekly. I found it for the longest time I didn't lose any weight but I did lose inches! Which I was very excited about because I couldn't see that changes but once I did those measurements I did see my body was slowly changing and making progress!

image 125 Invited So Far
    image 0 Are MIA!
  • A question for all of you, would you mind sharing what a full days worth of your food menu would be?

Here is what mine was when I was working out:

Breakfast, whole grain bagel with garden vegetable cream cheese
    Morning snack, baby carrots no dips
    Lunch, either lean cuisine or chicken ceaser salad
    Afternoon snack, dannon light n fit yogurt
    Dinner, meat with two sides of vegetables

I always found lunch hard bc I work in a office and a lot of ladies tend to eat out and I cave in with them bc I get bored of my lunch selection easily.

image 125 Invited So Far
    image 0 Are MIA!
  • I'm going to say that doesn't sound like enough calories for a day. Were you hungry a lot? 

My schedule is kind of wonky now, since I'm a teacher and on vacation. A typical day for me would be:

-oatmeal for breakfast, usually with a glass of 1% milk
    -recess (piece of fruit or beef jerky)
    -salad with protein or leftovers for lunch
    -meat or fish with veggies (and sometimes rice) for supper
    -after workout snack - usually an apple with peanut butter or cottage cheese with an orange

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Mine is usually:

Breakfast: bowl of special K cereal or light english muffin with peanut butter and coffee

Lunch: Whatever I can find. Sometimes it's spaghetti, sometimes it's a sandwich.

Snack: Pomegranate, cheese stick, cookies. Varies daily but it usually is fruit, cheese and a sweet

Dinner: Small portion of meat, big portion of veggies and a starch.

After dinner snack: a sweet or popcorn and/or fruit (depending on if/how much I exercise that day)

Are you hungry during the day? If your tummy is rumbling, eat more! I usually  drink 8 - 10 glasses of water a day.
  • Breakfast - Eggwhite (3) omelet or 2 white one yolk.. whatever veggies I have, so usually a mix of peppers/tomatoes/onions/brocolli, 2-4 pieces of turkey bacon, and half an avocado or a tbsp of almond butter... oh and a tbsp of flax seed meal in the eggs.

snack - can't do dairy so i use lactose free yogurt. They had "greek style" yogurt with almond milk/coconut milk but the sugar is out of control and the protein is 1 gram.. so not worth it. The one I found is 8g of protein which isnt terrible and the sugar is only 6/7.
    Variations to snack - random veggies, piece of fruit (usually an apple, asian pear, or strawberries/blue berries)

Lunch - Either left overs from dinner the night before (today was stirfry) so tofu, peppers, onions, broc, carrots, some basmati rice.

Variation - some form of salad with a baby spinach base and a ton of veggies. Homemade dressing (olive oil/red wine vinegar and spices), with some form of lean protein or something like quinoa on it.
    Or... tuna mashed with an egg and half an avocado and a small side spinach salad.

Afternoon snack - don't usually have the time because I'm in an OSHA classroom/lab and we can't have food or drink (even water..).

Dinner - Tonight was left over chicken sauteed with spinach, edamame, diced tomatoes, and a splash of balsamic, sweet potato with some coconut oil smeared in, and roasted eggplant.

Dinner is usually a lean protein (chicken, fish.. sometimes ground turkey), or tofu.. with grilled/roasted veggies or steamed.
  • Breakfast: Oatmeal with a diced apple and almond or peanut butter (almost every day), or eggs on weekends

Snack: Fruit, or greek yoghurt and berries, or hummus and veggies, or apple and almond butter, or half avocado with herb salt

Lunch: Usually salad and protein - favourites are a quinoa salad, veggie and bean salad, or meat and veggies. In the fall/winter/spring I eat a LOT of soup, mostly lentil/bean/veggie soups

Snack: Another variation on the mid morning snack. Although recently, it's been a fruit popsicle or freezie because its too darn hot. This is the snack I cannot skip; if I do I am a hungry food monster when I get home and eat everything in sight.

Dinner: Grilled veggies and protein on the BBQ, fajitas in lettuce wraps, stir fried veggies and protein on a bit of rice, scrambled eggs with veggies are all common options. I always finish dinner with a peppermint tea because I am 80 years old at heart.
  • @jennylee813kwitheringtonwinelover123bwils35xcalygrljaenella

Thank you all  for sharing what you would eat it has helped me out with more lunch ideas! I didn't find myself hungry when I ate those foods I was always had 1,200cals because that's what mfp recommended. Now when I entered my work outs in it increased my cals but I never made it to that amount it was 1,600cals sometimes and at times I was finding it hard to even get my full 1,200cals but I was usually able to get that full amount in. I drank lots of water about 8-10 cups a day and I hated it because I have and extremely week bladder from my lovely kids. I was going to the br way more a pregnant girl I worked with when she was pretty far along! 

I will start tracking everything again on Monday on mfp. If you all don't mind I would love to find you as my friends on there :)

image 125 Invited So Far
    image 0 Are MIA!
  • @mytwolovebugs85 - one thing that I've gotten so much better about is paying attention to my body signs. There are days where I feel like I could actually eat the entire refrigerator. I am that hungry. Some days I struggle to hit 1400-1500 because I'm not hungry. Once I got better at separating the "I'm so used to grazing...I need to snack... I should have food in my hand" feelings, I was so much better.

I really try not to eat just to eat or just because. Some days its a struggle, like a BBQ or your FI/H decides he has to snack on your favorite thing ever, right in front of you.

Add us all on MFP - I always check out peoples diaries (looking at you @xcalygrl, @entropicbeauty) for what they are eating so that when I get sick of something, or need an idea for a snack maybe someone else is doing something I might want but didn't think of. It's awesome.
  • @bwils35 - oh dear god don't look to my diary for suggestions on what to eat! I still find my overall diet to be pretty deplorable. I opened my diary for viewings to sort of try and shame myself into eating better (it hasn't worked out too well for me yet lol)
  • hahahahaah @entropicbeauty not everything is deplorable! it's definitely nice to just see what others are eating. I've seen some good meal ideas!
  • @bwils35 that is a excellent idea looking at others diaries! I will defiantly be doing that I didn't even know you could!

image 125 Invited So Far
    image 0 Are MIA!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards