Snarky Brides

Poll: Passing gas in front of SO

evaporarevaporar member
First Anniversary First Comment
edited July 2013 in Snarky Brides
Ok, so I apologize if this is a bit TMI, but...How does everyone else deal with farting in front of SO? Does anyone have the "honor" of being the stinky one in the relationship?
I ask because until recently, I held in my gas when my FI was around, even though he did not. One day he asked me why I never farted infront of him, and said that I shouldn't worry about it because he wants me to be totally comfortable around him. The truth is, I was just trying to spare his nose from the pain, because I've always been a very gassy gal and my gas tends to silent but very, VERY deadly. Anyways, since then I have been more casual about letting loose, and he has been "blown away" (terrible pun intended) by my ability to clear the room. Be careful what you wish for, and all that.
So, do you and SO fart in front of each other? And if so, how gross is your gas?

Poll: Passing gas in front of SO 87 votes

1/5 - Can't smell it at all! Honest!
6% 6 votes
2/5 - A tiny bit of stink, but mild and quickly vanishing.
31% 27 votes
3/5 - There's no hiding the stench, and it might hang around for awhile, but no worse than average.
36% 32 votes
4/5 - Seriously smelly and lingering. It's wise to evacuate the area.
9% 8 votes
5/5 - If "Stinkiest Farts" was an Olympic event, I'd have more medals than Michael Phelps.
6% 6 votes
6/5 - Whatever awful description you can think of? Yeah, it's even worse than that.
9% 8 votes

Re: Poll: Passing gas in front of SO

• We both usually just pretend it doesn't happen.  Because we are not grownups who can acknowledge such things.  Except once when FI was standing there talking to me and it was quite noisy from him.  We both laughed for a good 30 minutes.  

But his have the tendency to be.. incredible.  I think I started coughing once.  I try to avoid him if I have a feeling it's going to be a gross one. So he's not subjected to that often.
  • CLoGreenEyesCLoGreenEyes member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited July 2013
    So, I feel like it's polite if you KNOW something is coming to step into a bathroom or whatever to let things go, but it's not the end of the world if stuff just slips out sometimes. If I thought it would severely damage my relationship to fart in front of my BF...I couldn't. I just couldn't. But to be classy about it, I step away for a moment, or I apologize if it happens before I can do that. (Mine are between options 2 and 3, in case you were wondering, haha.)

We are more casual about burping for some reason, especially him. I think it's because every time he burps, I glare at him until he says, "Excuse me." To spite me, he always says, "Ex-squeeze me." I give up.
  • I don't know, we don't really pay it that much mind. None of us really fart that often that I can think of. When we first started dating though, I was terrified to fart around him. At the time I lived with a friend as her room mate and my bedroom was upstairs. He stayed the night and I felt super gassy for some reason. I got up quietly and tip toed downstairs and sat on the couch about 8 times. Because I felt like they would be loud and he would hear me if I went in the bathroom next door. That's commitment.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • fi farts loudly every morning when he takes the dogs out to the yard. so loud i hear it in the house and i find it hysterical. i usually don't fart in front of him but there have been times i just couldn't help it. he pretty much just thought it was funny. 
  • Oh, if we're going to discuss burps, too, I burp constantly. It's so ladylike.
  • This thread sparked a fascinating conversation between me and BF in which we rated our farts on several different scales and discussed variability in the results. Afterward he chuckled, kissed me on the cheek, and said he felt close to me. I mostly felt ridiculous. Thanks for creating this special moment for us, SB. :P
  • You didn't give us a "I don't fart in front of my S/O" option.

Whoops! But it looks like I can't edit the poll options, so I guess everyone can just vote for what describes them whether or not you fart in front of your SO. Looks like I'm the only big stinker so far, haha.
  • We fart in front of each other.  Mine are pretty average, but H's are probably in the 5 range on your scale.  
  • FI will get up, walk into the bathroom, fart, and come back out.  I love this man!

Once years ago, he was napping on my lap and I felt something fierce come on, and couldn't fight it, so just went with it.  HE WOKE UP!  He got this weird look on his face, stood up and went outside.  

Previously Alaynajuliana

• We're completely comfortable passing gas in front of one another (it took a little time to get there though).  We always excuse ourselves, and sometimes leave the room if we know it's going to be bad, but we see absolutely no point in holding it back if it's just the two of us.
  • I knew I found the right guy when I accidentally farted for the first time around him and I didn't feel embarrassed. I was never comfortable passing gas in front of anyone in the past but with him it's no big deal. The worst thing that happens is we both will make jokes if it's a really, really bad one. 
  • FI is the only person I can fart around. But that took months to happen. I also live in a house full of twentysomething guys (yay me :l) and it still doesn't happen anywhere near them.
  • FI "accidently" farted in front of me when we were still dating.. He swears to this day that my reaction was one of the things that made him realize I was the one. Apparently the look on my face was priceless. I have no issue with him farting in front of me, sometimes I feel like he does just because of how I react. I on the other hand, can count on my one hand the times I've tooted in front of him. (Like how I change it from fart to toot? He hates that I call them toots and says he farts, he doesn't toot.) I am also about 8 months pregnant so sometimes, it really is that I feel like there was no control, it just happens. Then I acknowledge it and say excuse me and he always responds with, "I didn't even get to hear it!" 

Also, I was cracking up reading everyone's responses to this. I'm so happy I decided to check this board today!
  • hordolhordol member
    First Answer 5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper
    My husband and I fart in front of each other all of the time. It doesn't bother either of us. My husband is a very gassy person and it wasn't long into our relationship when he just started doing it, lol. It took me a little longer to feel comfortable but now we both kind of find it funny.

The other day when DH got home from work, he bent down and picked me up and farted really loudly as he did it. Usually he knows when his farts are coming but that surprised even him so we both found it hilarious like 12 year olds.

PitaPata Dog tickers
  • evaporar said:
    You didn't give us a "I don't fart in front of my S/O" option.

Whoops! But it looks like I can't edit the poll options, so I guess everyone can just vote for what describes them whether or not you fart in front of your SO. Looks like I'm the only big stinker so far, haha.
    You are not alone.  I eat a lot of fiber on the advice of my nutritionist, and 'cause I really like veggies.  So I'm the gassier one out of the two of us.  It runs in my family.  My mom was constantly tooting when I was growing up, and it's only gotten more frequent with age. (You know that Larry the Cable Guy joke about smuggling watermelons at a flea market and walking farts? Yeah... we're convinced it was based on my mom.) 

So farts are,well, natural to me. They are loud, and stinky, but they do dissipate quickly.
    FH is most definitely the master of the SBD types out of the two of us, and if he's eaten any kind of nuts, wear a gas mask.  Sometimes we will be sitting on the couch watching TV and he just smiles.  Yeah....  

At least mine are loud enough to let you know to grab something to prevent you from breathing in...  

And then there is my cat. Don't ever give her wet food. EVER. If you do? OH LORD.  I live with two of the stinkiest SBD farters I've even encountered.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited July 2013

My "bathroom noises" are limited to the bathroom only. I will never fart in front of DH.

I make him leave the room (which he so sweetly does) since even his fart noise makes me gag.

• I feel that this also begs the question: do you use the bathroom in front of your SO? BF and I are pretty comfortable together but that's one experience I like to keep to myself. He doesn't care but will go along with it for me.
  • Amapola14 said:
    I feel that this also begs the question: do you use the bathroom in front of your SO? BF and I are pretty comfortable together but that's one experience I like to keep to myself. He doesn't care but will go along with it for me.
    NO!  I will pee when he is behind the shower curtain with the water running, as the sound of the water always makes me have to do so.  And he pees when I'm showering occasionally.  But that's it.  Farts are one thing.  Poop is a whole different ball game...  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • hordolhordol member
    First Answer 5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited July 2013
    DH and I occasionally pee in front of each other. Not often but I've been known to open the door while he is peeing to stare at him and freak him out (we're a little strange). DH hates it when I pee in front of him though so he rarely peeks on me, hah.

PitaPata Dog tickers
  • I have no problem farting in front of H. I'm sure he wishes I did have a problem with it lol. Mine are mostly just loud. Sometimes stinky. I drink a lot of diet pop so the fake sugars tend to make me gassy.

I do sometimes pee while H is in the shower, but I always tell him not to look. Would never poop in front of him though. I draw the line at peeing while being concealed by a shower curtain
    Married as of June 22, 2013!!!

• I'm not going to lie, I don't hide anything from FI. A month into dating we were hugging and I really needed to fart. I said so and without missing a beat he told me to do it. Granted we were outside and couldn't smell it but I was impressed it didn't bother him. When he stays over at my place we use the bathroom at the same time a lot. While he showers I use the toilet. It doesn't faze us.
  • I think pooping is the only line for H and I.

Farting, burping... that's all fine.  We find farting to be hilarious around each other.

We'll pee in front of each other occasionally.  Not a huge deal.  Pooping is just different.  I don't think we'll ever do that in front of each other unless we just absolutely had to for some weird reason (can't think of any hypothetical situation requiring that, haha).

SaveSave
  • rajahmdrajahmd member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited August 2013
  • lol @RajahBMFD
    Even when I lived alone I would close the bathroom door. Must be because I came from a family of 6, so it was a habit.
    I still close the bathroom door now even if I'm home alone too
    Married as of June 22, 2013!!!

• LAM524LAM524 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    Oh I love this!! What a great chuckle I got!! Thanks!!! :) We dont fart in front of each other and I couldnt be happier! I swear this is the reason I love this man! ;) I was married for 26 years and he never heard me fart. I, on the other hand, was "fart abused!"  Most of the "abuse" happened at night, in bed. He would let them rip and hold the sheet over my head. I actually vomited a time or 2! Lots of nights I would be sound asleep and he would set off a bomb scaring the crap out of me. One time during Thanksgiving, my brother had his video recorder going and was "interviewing my (now) ex. As I walked past (behind ex) he let one rip. I instantly got nauseous and ran to the bathroom but it was occupied so I went to run onto the patio. I ran face first into the closed slider...threw it open and puked all over the porch! The video is hysterical. My brother recorded the entire thing. I should send it in to AFV.  I have this whole theory on farts and fart clouds and the minute I hear one, never mind smell one, I get nauseous. I won't even get into our dinner time at the table with my 3 sons and the ex! :/ As grossed as I get, I find farts absolutely hysterical. Well, hearing or reading about them anyway.

tinkerbell gif photo: Tinkerbell stuck in keyhole animated gif Peterpan2_coince9e.gif
  • MajideMajide member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment

One time, on vacation, I went to use the bathroom, and while I was in there I was popping my knuckles (bad habit, I do that all the time).  He asked if I was farting, and I was confused.  He thought the knuckle popping sounds were my farts!  That was pretty amusing.

He tells me it's okay to pass gas around him, but I just can't, unless it's an accident.  He will make comments about how women's farts must not stink, and must not make sounds because he never hears/smells when I do.  Or he will say women just simply don't pass gas.  I don't know if this is some attempt at reverse psychology or what :D

That's got to be it... I've been over at his parents' house and his mom will pass gas like it's no big deal.  So it's not like he's never heard/smelled it before from a woman.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • His are smellier, mine are noisier. I only started farting in front of him comfortably a year ago or so. We laugh and tease each other about it a lot.
  • You are not alone.  I eat a lot of fiber on the advice of my nutritionist, and 'cause I really like veggies.  So I'm the gassier one out of the two of us.  It runs in my family.  My mom was constantly tooting when I was growing up, and it's only gotten more frequent with age. (You know that Larry the Cable Guy joke about smuggling watermelons at a flea market and walking farts? Yeah... we're convinced it was based on my mom.) 
    Haha, I think that it runs in my family too. My sister and mom are definitely both above average, although not as bad as me. Ironically, my brother seems to have avoided the fart gene.

If I think it is going to be a stinky one, I just up, open the back door, and stick my butt outside. 
    This reminded me of my freshman year of college. As you can imagine, a teeny-tiny dorm room and my special ability did not go together well. My roommate and I were good friends so it was something that we could laugh about, but when it got bad I would literally have to stick my butt out of our window to avoid suffocating us both. 

Regarding bathroom stuff, we both close the door. I wouldn't mind peeing in front of FI if necessary, but would definitely not feel ok about #2 (and I'm sure he wouldn't want to be subjected to that either).

Another story that always makes me smile: Back in college, I was dancing with a group of guy friends at a club and really really had to let one out. Despite my best efforts to hold it in, I failed. I decided the best way to handle the situation was preemptive denial so I held my nose and started with the whole “oh my god do you smell that?!?!” routine. Everyone freaked out and promptly evacuated the area. The guys spent the entire rest of the night joking about how bad it was and speculating on who could have produced such a noxious smell. I was never suspected (in fact, they decided early on that it HAD to be a guy, because "girls don't fart like that.")
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards