Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Kids' plan?

While planning my wedding, I keep coming across advice to have a kids' plan, which can range from having a special coloring area at the reception to hiring babysitters or special entertainment. We've invited a handful of children to our wedding, most under the age of 5. Since they're all young, I'm assuming they'll sit with their parents. I was also thinking of having coloring books and crayons available. Does this sound like enough? 
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Kids' plan?

• Options
    That sounds like more then enough.  I will have a good handful of kiddies under 5 at my wedding too.  To be honest I know their parents will bring the tablets to entertain them or at the very least will have a smartphone with apps.

Back when I was 5 a coloring book was more then enough to entertain me! Oh how times have changed.
  • Options
    That sounds like more then enough.  I will have a good handful of kiddies under 5 at my wedding too.  To be honest I know their parents will bring the tablets to entertain them or at the very least will have a smartphone with apps.

Back when I was 5 a coloring book was more then enough to entertain me! Oh how times have changed.
    Thanks! I was also thinking that their parents will most likely bring along tablets, toys, books, etc. to keep the little ones entertained. I've just come across the advice so many times, I was starting to worry!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I agree that's plenty. I never understand when brides think they need to basically provide a whole 'nother reception experience for kids. 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    Thanks for the help! Crayons it is!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options

LOL  I eventually realized you were referring to a change in what today's kids do vs what "we" did at that age.  However, at first I thought you meant that it would have entertained you as a kid but wouldn't today and all I could think was -- I'd still enjoy a coloring book and crayons!  Especially at a wedding where I didn't know anyone or everyone else was dancing (injury issues keep me from the dance floor) :P 

As for the OP -- Sounds perfect to me. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Crayons are the best!  Here is a simple idea...
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Color books sound great but , I wouldn't assume anything. Some parents may not bring toys for their kid and in their eyes their little princess can do no wrong. LOL. I recently went to two weddings where kids were unsupervised running wild, parents oblivious to it all, kids in buffet lines alone loading plates high , going crazy with the candy buffet, running on sugar high all night lol. I know its an extra expense but we are planning a kids room for out of town guest who are unable to get a sitter.  I want the adults to have fun and not kids running every where. Our hall has 3 rooms we are using 1 for ceremony, the main big hall for reception and the other for the kids.  We have around 40 kids under 14 that are coming so they will be in separate room with pizza and wings and sitters and games.
  • Options
    Color books sound great but , I wouldn't assume anything. Some parents may not bring toys for their kid and in their eyes their little princess can do no wrong. LOL. I recently went to two weddings where kids were unsupervised running wild, parents oblivious to it all, kids in buffet lines alone loading plates high , going crazy with the candy buffet, running on sugar high all night lol. I know its an extra expense but we are planning a kids room for out of town guest who are unable to get a sitter.  I want the adults to have fun and not kids running every where. Our hall has 3 rooms we are using 1 for ceremony, the main big hall for reception and the other for the kids.  We have around 40 kids under 14 that are coming so they will be in separate room with pizza and wings and sitters and games.
    That is such a great idea.  How much are spending on this extra room for the kids?  We are already over budget and don't think I will be able to convince the FI that it is necessary.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    $300 max is what we are budgeting including the games food cheap pizza wings, we are thinking of using the TV the hall has for $25 rental for movies ( redbox) and have popcorn for them , kids will still get cake and drinks.We are gonna get 1-2 college kids of friends who prob will need some extra $ and have them watch the kiddies.
  • Options
    $300 max is what we are budgeting including the games food cheap pizza wings, we are thinking of using the TV the hall has for $25 rental for movies ( redbox) and have popcorn for them , kids will still get cake and drinks.We are gonna get 1-2 college kids of friends who prob will need some extra $ and have them watch the kiddies.
    That budget seems perfectly reasonable.  If the kiddies want to be with their folks will you still have seats for them with their parents? 
  • Options
    I didnt think of that but i really dont want a kid reception and even if i put this on the invites i know people will bring kids, plus i feel its rude to ask out of town guest to get baby sitter if they are coming out of town. So i will see how it goes. lol
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards