Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

Affordable Reception Venue

My fiance and I are getting married in 2 years and we are beginning to visit venues for our big day, specifically reception sites at the moment. We live in the Pittsburgh area and plan on getting married somewhere near the city. We have been very interested in places with historical character to host an elegant reception; such as the History Center and the Priory. However, venues such as these can be pricey and we don't have an unlimited budget. I was wondering if anyone has suggestions about finding a unique reception venue within a reasonable price range? 
Thank you!

Re: Affordable Reception Venue

• Options
    How many people are you planning to invite? Do you want to be able to bring in your own alcohol? Catering? What's your budget look like? A lot of the girls here can help you, but we need more details.
  • Options
    Our guest list is around 140 people. We're getting married in June of 2015. My family would rather bring in a caterer and our own alcohol, but if the price is right, that doesn't matter. My family isn't giving me a budget; however, I don't have unlimited funds. My wedding has to be reasonably affordable. Right now, I'm most focused on finding venues that fit the style we want: an elegant reception with a historical character venue. We really like the History center and the Priory so far, but aren't sure about the pricing. Obviously, I'm new at all this, so thank you for your help!
  • Options
    Check out the Mansion at Hartwood Acres. I know it's outside of the city, but it's not terribly far and sounds like it fits what you're looking for. From what I recall when I was looking, the venue rental and food prices at the History Center were pretty reasonable but they don't let you bring in your own alcohol. The caterers' alcohol packages there were (in my opinion) unreasonable. The Priory, from what I remember, requires a minimum during peak wedding season, but I can't remember how much it is. You also have to use their catering and alcohol. Soliders and Sailors Hall in Oakland also does weddings, but again, you have to use their caterers and they provide the alcohol.
  • Options
    jnissajnissa member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Have you considered the Renaissance downtown? That's where we're having ours. The building is old and historical - and you can have the ceremony in the grand lobby which has an entirely historical feel. You're still going to end up coming in around $140 per head, but that's still slightly less than the average price at the Priory. 
  • Options
    I'll have to check out the mansion at Hartwood Acres; it sounds pretty. I actually am visiting the Renaissance tomorrow! Thanks for your suggestions! 
  • Options
    Good luck with Jay Verno.  I contacted them months ago and still haven't heard back from them for pricing or availability.  
  • Options
    snippet17 said:
    kolenda19 said:
    I'll have to check out the mansion at Hartwood Acres; it sounds pretty. I actually am visiting the Renaissance tomorrow! Thanks for your suggestions! 
    I wouldn't call the Renaissance affordable.  I am having my wedding and ceremony there in October and it is pricy, especially if you have less than 150 people coming. But during off seasons, they do offer deals. Kind of worried about my wedding since Tony is gone and I cannot get ahold of anyone lately.

Yikes, that's not good.  I wouldn't call it affordable either, but we went to a great wedding there last year! It was beautiful.
  • Options
    Jay Verno isn't too pricey because you can bring in your own vendors. I did have to call twice to schedule a visit. I was told you have to visit the venue before a wedding to see the set up and tour the facility, so I went on a Saturday afternoon. It was just too modern for the look my Fiance and I want. I loved the Renaissance, but haven't completely priced things yet; it is beautiful and I loved Greg who gave us the tour. 
  • Options
    jnissajnissa member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary Name Dropper
    We freaked out when Tony left, too. We have a much bigger window (we're not until 2014), but he was a big part of what we liked there. Did you meet the replacement yet? They seem eager to please, but it still makes me nervous.

I guess affordable is relative :) We moved here from SF, so we're just shocked with how cheap it feels to us to be able to have this wedding. 
  • Options
    What about the Union Project! It's an old church that was renovated into an event space. They just flattened the floor (it used to be slanted). I went to their open house because my brother was doing something there and it was looking really nice. Def has some character and I believe you can choose your caterer. Good luck. I hope you find a place you LOVE!
  • Options
    Thanks for your help! finding a venue is a lot of work. My family just gave me a budget of $15,000 for the reception venue. I have my heart set on city wedding pictures and my fiancé really likes historical venue looks, so right now I'm focused on finding venues in my price range near/in the city.
  • Options
    I believe Greg and his assistant Katy are in charge at the renaissance now. I never knew of a Tony, but I just found out about the venue this week. Greg was wonderful, I believe he's the head of catering.
  • Options
    kolenda19 said:
    Thanks for your help! finding a venue is a lot of work. My family just gave me a budget of $15,000 for the reception venue. I have my heart set on city wedding pictures and my fiancé really likes historical venue looks, so right now I'm focused on finding venues in my price range near/in the city.
    Have you checked out the Grand Concourse in Station Square? Depending on the amount of peopel you have and the food you choose, you might be able to do it for that. It has a great historical look to it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards