Nevada-Las Vegas

Room Blocks

How do you decided how many rooms to include in your room block?  

We are expecting about 60 to 75 people...but I'm guessing some will use comps or might even stay a hotel nearby and some will probably find better rates elsewhere...

We had our dream wedding at Mirage on May 3, 2014! 

Re: Room Blocks

• I just gave a estimate I over estimated just to be sure I blocked enough rooms
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit LasVegas.Weddings.com
  • KikiMiraKikiMira member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited July 2013
    We did one room for every 2 people. The rooms that do not sell they release for public sale 30 days prior to the wedding. We know some won't stay at our hotel but better to have enough in case they all do.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The nice thing is you can really block as many as you want as long as you're talking about a strip resort that doesn't charge you for them, which is most of them.  We had no idea how many guests would stay at each hotel; we had 125 coming, many being couples, so I blocked 30 each at Mandalay, Luxor and Exaclibur, no charge, no idea how many ended up using the blocks but I'd guess probably not that many since there were some kick ass coupons available for online bookings at the time.

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• Good to know that we aren't on the hook if they don't get booked up!  

My wedding coordinator wanted to know the number of rooms before she would put me in contact with someone for the room blocks, even though I had a list of questions.   
    We had our dream wedding at Mirage on May 3, 2014! 
  • mnuppmnupp member
    Name Dropper First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    Be aware that there are two types of hotel offers:

COURTESY RATE - this is where the hotel will extend a discounted rates to your guests, usually for about a month prior to the wedding, and whatever isn't filled by a certain cut-off date will be opened to the public.

ROOM BLOCK - this is where you commit to filling a certain number of rooms, and if they aren't filled, you are on the hook for them.

Make sure to clarify which one you are getting, and confirm whether or not you will be committed to pay for the unfilled rooms.
  • SD210SD210 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment

We booked WAY too many rooms at the Bellagio and Aria.  We are having about 80 people come to the wedding, and only about 15 of these guests booked through the room block.  Thankfully, we were not on the hook for them.  Everyone found better rates through the usual travel sites.   The rates given to us for the room blocks were OK - - not the highest, but not the lowest out there. 

That being said, if you are planning a wedding about 1 year out, I think it is good to have some rooms secured at a fixed rate "just in case" something BIG comes to town (convention, prize fight, award show, etc.) and suddenly all of the room prices get jacked up.  In that case, the room block rate is going to look pretty good.    

I agree with the other posters that said to make sure you are not on the hook for any unbooked rooms.  That would have been a total disaster for us. I booked WAY too many.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards