Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

When did you get your altered dress back to you?

I've had some issues with my seamstress not following through with deadlines, and canceling on me last minute because she's too swamped with other dresses. I know a couple other brides working with her and they both got their dresses back the week of the wedding. That seems too late! My wedding is in a month and I was expecting to have my dress back by now since she has had it for several months now. I'm curious when other brides have gotten their finished dresses back to them. Maybe it will ease my stress! : /

Re: When did you get your altered dress back to you?

• Options

I know you're stressed, but just think of it this way: Why would you need it sooner than the week of the wedding? You won't be wearing it anywhere.  If you're concerned becuase you think she'll blow off that deadline, then I'd speak with her about it.

• Options

I know how you feel.  I got my dress back at 1130pm the Thursday night before my Saturday wedding.

My seamstress kept doing the same thing to me, come back, I'm not ready yet, come back, I'm not ready yet.  I was starting to look at other dresses to find something off the rack.

I was particularly nervous because she was altering my mom's dress to fit me and I had only seen it in pieces since I had given it to her in August (my wedding was in October).  She came through and did a beautiful job.

LMc0322 is right, you don't need it any sooner than the week of the wedding.  Just relax.

• Options
    My final fitting was a week and a half before the wedding. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Options
    I'll be receiving my dress a week and a half before the wedding. I'm glad to have someone else storing it for me! Just take a deep breath - she has a lot of time left and likely has many other sooner deadlines to meet.
  • Options
    My seamstress said I wont get mine back until the final week before the wedding. The last time I went she had taken it in as we discussed but it wasn't totally finished (beading placed all back on) because she said anything can happen between now and then and she doesn't finalize any of it until that final week.

I went to her based on numerous referrals so I am not worried about having it back in time. And as PP said you don't need it before then so you should be fine.

Anniversary
  • Options
    I'm not getting mine back until the week of the wedding.  I wouldn't worry.  My seamstress is steaming the dress before I get it back so I wouldn't want it any sooner for fear that it would wrinkle.
  • Options
    Several months to alter a dress is a *little* much.  I had my dress altered and back to me in a week and a half, this was also during prom week for all the local high schools so they were also swamped. 

Though, with that said, my dress sat in my closet for a month and a half after being altered. I was afraid of gaining/losing any weight and not having it fit properly, having your dress still at the seamstress will be convenient if you were to gain/lose weight so you can go back and get it refitted without paying twice for the same service.
  • Options
    My dress was ready one week before the wedding, and only the day before I was leaving to travel to our wedding location. I didn't even have my first fitting until 3 weeks before the wedding. I wasn't worried though, because it was a reputable salon, I knew they would get it done. 

How many fittings have you had so far? As long as you have had at least one, you have plenty of time. After my first fitting, they needed a week before #2. #2 they needed 3 days. #3 they just had some very minor adjustments, and to press & prep the dress, it was ready the next day. 
  • Options
    If you are really worried, maybe arrange the final pickup for a week before the wedding now so that she knows when the last time you have a chance to get it is. Let her know you will be busy after that and will not have a chance to go after that.
    I feel for you as my seamstress took a long time and things did not go well but I had planned ahead so it turned out ok.

I am sure if you let her know when you need it by, it will get done.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards