Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh
Options

WR: Venue Help (for a friend)

My friend just got engaged a few days ago and is looking to have a short engagement. Here's the details:

1. 200-250 people invited
2. Wants to book asap
3. Wants to have it between September and November 2010 (flexible, willing to do Friday/Sat/Sunday)
4. Can be anywhere in the area at all
5. Wants to bring in her own caterer
6. Limited budget...she's cheap like me (I don't think she wants to spend more than 5k on a rental, IMO)

Her family friend does catering and is giving them a deal. The problem is finding a venue. Everything that used to be "bring your own caterer" in the area has recently changed that and uses preferred caterers now.

She has been in touch with Lingrow, but has not received a price on the rental yet. I suggested Pittsburgh Center for the Arts.

Anything else? She is open to any and all ideas.

TIA! I told her to come to our board, but she's a teacher and has been busy.

Re: WR: Venue Help (for a friend)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't think PCA can fit them, at least not all in the same room.

This is a tough one with the caterer thing...

-The 30th floor of the Regional Enterprise Tower (great views)

I am seriously stumped. I'll keep thinking though...
  • Options
    LaFemmeRousseLaFemmeRousse member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Where did Emily.Berdell have her wedding?  She had a really big group (like 400, if I remember correctly!) and I thought they used their own caterer, but I can't think where it was.

Pittsburgh sig: Favorite thing about fall= college football!
    Vacation
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ok, just found her bio- she used Syria Mosque for her reception and had a good experience there, but after looking at their website I'm not so sure they used an off-site caterer after all.  Sorry, I'm not much help!

Vacation
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    PCA says they can fit 200 using the patio, I believe. That was the highest I can find so far. (Well, 200 is without a dance floor).

Emily Berdell...was she at Syria Mosque? They can hold an enormous number, but no outside caterer.

It is really hard to find a place that has outside catering, that big of a group, isn't super expensive, and is open in the most popular wedding month of the year (October).

I have been racking my brain, but a lot of places aren't allowing outside catering anymore.

What about Pittsburgh Golf Club? I haven't been in there in three or four years, so I am not sure...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't know of a lot of places any more that let you bring in your own caterer - unless it is a fire hall, or something like J.Verno where you have to rent everything.

What about Jenn (New's) banquet room - Parkview Fire Hall in O'Hara Twnshp? It fits her number accommodation and bringing in her own caterer....

http://www.parkviewvfd.org/BANQUET/RentalOptions.html

Is your friend willing to budge on bringing in her own caterer? I think she might be hard pressed to find something like this. There are some banquet halls with inexpensive caterers!

Dave & Jennifer 10.18.08
    My Doha Adventures
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just searched through our recommended vendor list.  Mayernik fits 200 exactly- do they allow outside catering?  Is Succop Conservancy big enough?  Couldn't find any info about catering there either.

Vacation
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-pittsburgh_wr-venue-friend?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:116Discussion:aecbe39e-e598-4974-889c-4811a57e4908Post:a0a622a8-923a-4085-a934-67babdf9dc51">Re: WR: Venue Help (for a friend)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't know of a lot of places any more that let you bring in your own caterer - unless it is a fire hall, or something like J.Verno where you have to rent everything. What about Jenn (New's) banquet room - Parkview Fire Hall in O'Hara Twnshp? It fits her number accommodation and bringing in her own caterer.... <a href="http://www.parkviewvfd.org/BANQUET/RentalOptions.html" rel="nofollow">http://www.parkviewvfd.org/BANQUET/RentalOptions.html</a> Is your friend willing to budge on bringing in her own caterer? I think she might be hard pressed to find something like this. There are some banquet halls with inexpensive caterers!
    Posted by JennyBee1018[/QUOTE]

I suggested a few firehalls and social halls that would hold her number. Actually, even some firehalls now have caterers you have to use! I am going to suggest Parkview to her as well.

I think she isn't willing to budge on the caterer aspect because it is a family friend or a boss from work, something like that. She just got engaged a few days ago and was approached with that pretty quickly, so I think she's kind of tied in to it now. They are charging $18pp, which is a pretty good deal, if she could just find someplace to have it!

I named a few places and, if none of those work, I think I will tell her that she will have to either cut the guest list or look into a caterer with a hall.

Do you know the name of that hall across the street from the Galleria in Mt. Lebo? Anyone? I think they allow bring your own catering, and it is very nice. I can't remember it now though :(
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-pittsburgh_wr-venue-friend?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:116Discussion:aecbe39e-e598-4974-889c-4811a57e4908Post:c124363c-fa38-4f06-a182-e782b586e36d">Re: WR: Venue Help (for a friend)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just searched through our recommended vendor list.  Mayernik fits 200 exactly- do they allow outside catering?  Is Succop Conservancy big enough?  Couldn't find any info about catering there either.
    Posted by LaFemmeRousse[/QUOTE]

I suggested Mayernik, but you have to use one of their preferred caterers. Also, Mayernik books really, really far in advance still. I remember when I first got engaged, it was booking over 14 months in advance (I called in March 2008 for May 2009 and they had nothing, not even a Friday.) I think their rates went up a bit, so they may be getting less bookings now. It is worth a shot!

Succop holds 200 I believe (and more if you use the tents on the lawn), but they have a caterer you have to use as well.

I should tell her to get the name of the catering company and look up where they cater and pick one of those.
  • Options
    AP910AP910 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    FYI, I believe Pittsburgh Center for the Arts now requires you to use their bartender, so that is something to consider. I think the dance floor can be in the tent or inside by the staircase. Pittsburgh Golf Club is fabulous, but does not allow outside caterers. I THINK Mayernik Center is something like $1800 just to rent, but I'm not positive.  HTH!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, AP. At the wedding I went to in 2008, they used PCA's bartender and their own caterer. I do recall them having their dance floor inside and their reception outside, but it was kind of interesting that people had to come inside to watch the first dance, etc.

I think PCA would be good because her theme is vintage shabby chic and the exterior of the building kind of goes with that.

Mayernik is now $1800 to rent. I can't believe the prices on places just to rent, wow. My rental was only $1100 or 1500 or something (but it has definitely gone up since then).
  • Options
    AP910AP910 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I THINK it is 1800. You might want to double check that. I think that is what FI told me. Wow, your friend just got engaged and already has a theme? That makes me feel like such a slacker! :) Have a good night!  --- Amanda
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-pittsburgh_wr-venue-friend?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:116Discussion:aecbe39e-e598-4974-889c-4811a57e4908Post:9875f0d3-16c9-4084-80d3-ff242d92d275">Re: WR: Venue Help (for a friend)</a>:
    [QUOTE] Do you know the name of that hall across the street from the Galleria in Mt. Lebo? Anyone? I think they allow bring your own catering, and it is very nice. I can't remember it now though :(
    Posted by kwynn[/QUOTE]

Kristen, the name of that hall is Holy Cross Banquet Hall. It is really nice, and I came really close to booking it. I think it can hold up to 400 people.

It looks like they have preferred caterers, but you might be able to negotiate with the manager, if she calls. Here is the website:

<a href="http://www.holycrossbanquethall.com/home.html" target="_blank">http://www.holycrossbanquethall.com/home.html
    </a>

Dave & Jennifer 10.18.08
    My Doha Adventures
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Does her caterer friend have any ideas? Where have they catered weddings before?

Dave & Jennifer 10.18.08
    My Doha Adventures
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Just FYI with PCA. You have to pay a premium in order to bring your own caterer. I can't remember the amount, but it's something like a couple hundred dollars.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards