Wedding Reception Forum

First Dance Before Dinner

Our cocktail hour starts at 5, WP should be arriving at the venue by 5:30 (maybe 5:45). I want the DJ to have everyone seated by 5:45 so we can go right into the grand entrance and first dance, then dinner will be served.

I kind of want to get the 1st dance out of the way so the flow of the party won't be interrupted once the dancing starts. 

Has anyone done this? Does it work out OK or does it feel awkward? 

Re: First Dance Before Dinner

• KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2013

This is what we did. We walked into the reception, cut the cake and went staright into the first dance. I wanted to get all the traditional stuff out of the way so that I could truly relax.

I think while we were doing our first dance, the first course was also being served so people could eat and not just sit there and stare at us.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • That's how I always see it done. Not awkward at all
  • Really Starmoon? No one in my family or friends have done it this way so I was wondering if I was way off key. I'm glad to hear it's common!

Kat, since they will be coming off cocktail hour, I'm hoping they will bring their apps with them. It's a buffet, so dinner won't actually be "served". Our song is super short. Actually half a song, lol. We don't like to be on display much.
  • That's what we did by the recommendation of our DJ. Everyone is generally seated for the big entrance which is great then for photographer, easier to get photos without a bunch of people standing around the dance floor.

We had apps buffet style but the DJ asked everyone to please be seated for dinner service and the introductions. Everyone took their drinks & food back to their table. It went very well.

• It is not awkward at all. This is very popular.I would suggest this.
  • H and I got all of our spotlight dances out of the way right after we were introduced into the reception.  We did our first dance, then father/daughter dance and the mother/son dance.  Once those were done our buffet stations were open to our guests.  That way after dinner once the party got started we never had to interrupt it.  That is one of my biggest wedding pet peeves, interrupting the flow of the party. 

One wedding I went to we would just be starting to have fun getting down on the dance floor only to have it interrupted every 5-10 minutes for another spotlight dance or bouquet/garter toss or cake cutting.  Needless to say after 2 or 3 interruptions the party really never got going again.

• I want to make sure we open the floor as soon as possible.  The last wedding we went to (in the bride's backyard) it took them forever to open up the dance floor and I wasn't comfortable dancing before they had their first dance.  
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • That is how my last DD did it at her wedding and I thought it went extremely well!

• Our cocktail hour starts at 5, WP should be arriving at the venue by 5:30 (maybe 5:45). I want the DJ to have everyone seated by 5:45 so we can go right into the grand entrance and first dance, then dinner will be served.

I kind of want to get the 1st dance out of the way so the flow of the party won't be interrupted once the dancing starts. 

Has anyone done this? Does it work out OK or does it feel awkward? 
    Why are you cutting your cocktail hour short?  That's my favorite part of a wedding! 

We were introduced and went right into first dance and then parent dances.  I've never seen it done anyway else.
  • It's very common to hold the first dance right after the "big entrance", even before dinner. In fact, a lot of people prefer to do it this way and "get it out of the way", for lack of a better term. 
    You cannot advertise your business here.  @KnotPorscha.
  • I've never seen a wedding where the bride and groom didn't do the first dance before dinner.  It works wonderfully 

May 2013 February Siggy: Invitations

Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards