Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Ideas for Rehearsal Dinner- HELP ME PLEASE!

Not sure where else to put this, so here it is.

My dad is getting married this Saturday, and for the rehearsal dinner my aunt and I are coordinating a basket that everyone will contribute to for their honeymoon. When each person gets up to make a toast/speech, they're supposed to do something funny and roast-y, making fun of my dad and fiance in a loving, non-judgey way. My sister and I are putting in a "message in a bottle kit" for them to either make and keep or send into the bay where they're staying (it's turned out really cute actually, I'm proud of it). Problem is, now we need a skit type thing to do. My aunt suggested a spoof of Abbott and Costello's "Who's on First", since we're all theatre inclined. But I'm drawing a total blank in the creativity department ><

I'm not asking for a laid out script, just some brainstorming. Pretty please help me, I really need it! The couple likes camping, the ocean, beer/wine... only perimeter is more or less PG and it can't mention their ex's. Thanks in advance, you guys always have great ideas =)

Re: Ideas for Rehearsal Dinner- HELP ME PLEASE!

• I think I'd just let people talk and not worry about whether it's "funny" or "roasty" or expect them to do a skit.  In fact, I wouldn't want people to be "roasty" at my expense at a rehearsal dinner.  Just go with the flow.
  • Normally I would agree with you. My family is very like this though, and since it's their second marriage for both, they've asked us not to take it super seriously. I know conventional wisdom is that this is contrived, but my whole family is putting this thing together for them. We can't even exchange Christmas gifts without my dad putting together a whole shtick, so this is more than normal for us =)
  • Maybe you could suggest to them that they do it improv?
  • vsgalvsgal member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    I don't think that making people say something funny or making fun of the couple is the best idea. If you are having to force it, the event will not be funny.  More that likely, it will be uncomfortable at times. 

When you say contribute to the honeymoon, do you mean financially?  Making people pay for their vacation is tres tacky and inconsiderate. But worse than that is putting them on the spot in front of everyone to see what they give.
    ROCK IS KING!!
  • Have you ever seen Gilligan's Island? You could rewrite the theme song. 

• vsgal said:
    I don't think that making people say something funny or making fun of the couple is the best idea. If you are having to force it, the event will not be funny.  More that likely, it will be uncomfortable at times. 

When you say contribute to the honeymoon, do you mean financially?  Making people pay for their vacation is tres tacky and inconsiderate. But worse than that is putting them on the spot in front of everyone to see what they give.
    If you read my response to the first reply, this is what my family does. It will literally be less than 10 people at the rehearsal dinner, and this is absolutely classic in my family. I appreciate the suggestion that this not happen the way we planned (at my rehearsal dinner it'll be different) but this is what my dad wants. No question. He asked for it. So that's that ^^

We are NOT giving money. No no no, we know better. It's stuff like chocolate and candles, a mix CD, adlibs for the drive to the coast, bottle of wine, etc. This is really just informal, family stuff. Nothing etiquette related here, I'm just looking for ideas on what to spoof. If no one has ideas, that's fine.

Improv could be interesting. Thank you =)
  • Have you ever seen Gilligan's Island? You could rewrite the theme song. 
    Oh that's good. Poppy, I love you <3 Any other ideas people?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards