Honeymoon Discussions

French Polynesian Islands?

Hi y'all! I'm getting married next October, so my fiance and I have been looking into various honeymoon destinations. Before we ever picked a date we had discussed and fell in love with the Caribbean but being that October is hurricane season, I do not want to take that risk. We've done some research and I'm curious if anyone has honeymooned or just been to the French Polynesian islands such as Bora Bora and Tahiti? If so, any advice or thoughts? 

Re: French Polynesian Islands?

• We were in Bora Bora and Moorea the past late October and it was an amazing trip.  It is MUCH more expensive than a Caribbean vacation, in case budget is an issue.  Meals, groceries, excursions, and souveniers are all significantly more expensive.  But it was amazing to be there.  There aren't too many honeymooners that stay in Tahiti.  Most that we talked to had gotten off Tahiti right after they landed and headed to other islands.  Almost everyone went to Bora Bora.  A lot went to Moorea.  It's quick and easy to get to from Tahiti.  The island seemed to have more things to offer, in terms of excursions, and was less expensive than Bora Bora. 

Bora Bora had this magical blue water that we will never forget.  Many of the resorts are on their own motu (island), so getting into town requires a ferry (often not free). 

Many of the excursions you will find there mimic what you would find in the Carribean.  The major difference are the over water bungalows. 

FYI -- the lower Caribbean doesn't get hurricaines.  Nice islands down there that are great honeymoon destinations include Aruba and Curacao. 

• As pp said, French Polynesia is quite more expensive than the Caribbean. First and foremost, what is your budget? I have been to the islands a few times and have spent well over $10K on most of my trips, but I know there are options that an get you there in the $6K range. So, I hesitate to give specific recommendations to anyone before I know budget and what type of vacation you are looking for. French Polynesia is more than Tahiti, Moorea, and Bora Bora, but as pp said, that is where most people go. Moorea is the best value island, Bora Bora is the most expensive and most popular. The Tuamotus are great for diving, and Huahine is great for seclusion and culture. If you can afford it, it's a trip you will certainly not forget. Also, for a more budget friendly South Pacific vacation, also check out the Cook Islands and Fiji. I've been to both and can offer some pros and cons to each.

• Thank you for the replies! We're still in the very early stages of planning so I do not have a specific budget amount just yet but your insights are very helpful. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards