New Jersey

-

bride2b101015bride2b101015 member
First Anniversary First Comment
edited October 2013 in New Jersey

Re: -

• GB520GB520 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    I think it would be a liability for vendors to say say yes to doing an event at an abandoned location. Too much can go wrong.
  • GB520GB520 member
    I have a BUNCH of questions! Any bit of advice will help!

1. Does anyone know of a unique/best-kept-secret type of venue such as an old abandon castle or mansion?
    2. Does anyone have any advice about a DIY wedding (bringing in your own caterer, table and linen rentals, servers, alcohol licenses, etc)? I'm not against all- inclusive venues but 1) I think the only way I'll be able to get a unique venue is if rent out the grounds to a beautiful historic site and bring in all the necessities myself and  2) I'm a grad student and want to keep it as cheap as possible
    3. What are your thoughts on a early October tented wedding in New Jersey?? Will it be TOO cold or can I get away with heaters?

We are from North-West New Jersey, near PA. We want to keep the max amount of travel time at an hour and a half.
    180-200 guests
    Some venues I already looked at are: Fonthill Castle, Burnside Plantation, and Bear Creek.
    I did just think of a castle. It's near lake hopatcong they do plays there there so not sure if it would work but it's worth contacting them. It's called Paxamicus. Try there.
  • Thank you, GB520! I just sent an e-mail requesting for more information! It looks beautiful and definitely along the lines of what I am looking for!
  • GB520GB520 member
    Awesome! Glad I could help.
  • Check out Rutherford Hall in Allamuchy. I've never been, but it looks beautiful. I believe David's Country Inn also uses it as their outdoor ceremony site. Burnside Plantation is beautiful! I went to a wedding there last summer., and it was a really unique wedding. It was kind of fancy picnic food with gourmet Mac and cheeses, salads, BBQ, a grilled corn stand, and kegs in one of the barns.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Thanks silver0319! I never heard of Rutherford Hall before, but it looks great! Thanks for the tip! 

I'm really glad to hear that you enjoyed at wedding at Burnside Plantation, too! The Bethlehem area has a lot of meaning to both my fiance and I and fancy picnic food is very much our style, haha. If it's possible, can you ask the bride if she has any advice? Day of planner? Set-up and clean-up (I believe they give you a significant amount of time to get everything done), etc.?

Thank again for the responses! Every little bit helps!
  • The couple had a shared love of Musikfest, so they tried to use vendors that they loved as well. I'm pretty sure they used AW Shucks for corn and maybe Fat Daddy's BBQ, but not sure who else. The wedding was very rustic and they did a lot of DIY. They didn't use a DOC, but had lots of friends help. They essentially had the whole weekend for setup and cleanup.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • we are having our wedding at women's club of glen ridge and there are a ton of women's clubs in nj--there is Englewood, Ridgewood, Montclair. as well. Glen Ridge just emailed me that they just got new chairs, so we have tables and chairs through them and then our catering is through Munch catering and they are taking care of the food, cutlery, bar tending, maitre d' and helping us with linens. The alcohol is on consignment so we only pay for what we drink that night or that is left open and anything that is left open we get to take home, same for the left over food and cutlery. We are only doing beer, wine and a few signature drinks/shots

we are allowed to enter the grounds the day before so we are setting most things up the friday before since the friday and saturday pricing was the same to rent the women's club. we are doing a mardi gras inspired wedding so we are going to hang the beads and other decorations on friday and set up the tables and linens for the cocktail hour and reception if we have the ceremony elsewhere. We got our florist budget down to 1k through A&W. If you have any questions let me know
  • What about Skylands Manor? I remember when I went to look at it my mom's first comment was that it reminded her of Adam's Family. LOL
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards