Honeymoon Discussions

Road Trip Honeymoon

I'm wondering if anyone from the Toledo/Cleveland area has done a road trip style honeymoon. We were originally thinking that we wanted to stay at a beach on the east coast for a while, but a friend pointed out that the water might be chilly after our October 12th wedding. We aren't really sure if we want to stay a week and just be lazy and away from "life" for a while, or do a long weekend and see & do all kinds of things in the area. Just looking for ideas! 
I'm thinking that a road trip would be better, maybe we could hit a beach for a day, but our whole honeymoon would be in chilly waters. I believe our budget would be $800-$1000. 

Re: Road Trip Honeymoon

• We did a road trip, but flew to our honeymoon in CA and drove the coast there. But, it cost a LOT more than your budget.

I live in the Detroit area, and October is so iffy weatherwise in the northern parts, but the scenery is always beautiful. From here the drive to Boston (through Canada) is 13 hrs, but you'll need a passport. You can skip that and drive through the US.

Are you guys sports fans? My husband and I are, and for years we've talked about the "Hall of Fame" roadtrip. From Detroit up to Toronto for the hocky HOF, then across the NY pike to Cooperstown for baseball HOF, then NY pike to Mass pike for Springfield and the basketball HOF. We'd have to save the NFL HOF for a different trip, LOL.

If you want beaches and water in October, I'd recommend the Charleston SC area. We were there for business a few years ago in January, and it was in the 60's and the potted petunias all over town were blooming, LOL. Look into what the weather is like in October. The town is lovely, there is a lot of history, and all the restaurants are fabulous. You don't have to eat at super expensive places to get wonderful food.

Another recommendation, without beaches would be Washington DC, if you have never been there. From here it's about a 10 hr drive, so shorter for you, all the museums and monuments are free, and the metro train/subway can get you from less expensive hotels in Maryland or Virginia into DC. Hotels in DC are expensive and charge you for storing your car, between $25-$50 a night. Farther out you don't run into this, but can still get into the city with the subway.

I planned my entire roadtrip honeymoon using tripadvisor.com. Picked the cities where we'd stop, found the highest rated budget hotels & restaurants. It has real opinions from real customers and I found it invaluable.

• Thank you Sue! I should have just ran this idea by my FI before posting because after talking to him about a road trip, he brought up the UP, which we've never been too. I will use you advice of planing through trip adviser. 
  • Make sure you go to Mackinac Island. Try to spend just one night at the Grand Hotel. That time of year they have reduced prices. Dress warmly, because the boats over to the island are open and it's cold that time of year.
  • This is not the beach, but have you ever been to the Smoky Mountains?  It's probably an 8 hour drive from Cleveland (I live in Dayton so it's a bit closer for me).  The leaves are gorgeous that time of year.  There are many reasonably priced cabins you could stay in and relax (hot tub and wine anyone?).  Mostly we've done outdoorsy stuff there - camping, hiking, horseback riding, etc.  There are some beautiful scenic drives in the area also.  If you're into touristy stuff, you could check out Gatlinburg but I don't recommend unless you like hokey tourist traps and lazy families.  
    If you're into the city scene, I strongly recommend hitting up nearby Asheville, NC.  It's a really fun city - lots of art and lots to do.  They also have the highest number of breweries per capita... lots and lots of good beer if you're into that!  There is also the Biltmore Estate, which is kind of pricey but very pretty.  It's an old, huge home, with really beautiful gardens, winery, etc.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We did 3 nights in Niagara Falls and had  wonderful time. What about heading up to the New England area to take advantage of the fall colors? You can still end up at the coast.
  • We are getting married on Oct. 13th down in the Cinci/Dayton area. We will be leaving the following morning and driving down to Myrtle Beach and staying in a resort Mon - Thurs. and then heading back and on our way back stopping in the Gatlinburg, TN area for a couple nights before we head back to Ohio. Myrtle Beach hotels aren't too bad price wise either :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards