Wedding Invitations & Paper

STDs & Invites to people I know are not coming

AJ4ever08AJ4ever08 member
First Anniversary First Comment
My fiance and I are having our wedding next year. We are getting married where my family lives which is 6 hours away from my fiance's family. I know that his parents, sister, and grandma for coming for sure. He is not close to and does not talk to the rest of his family (aunts, uncles, & cousins) and I know that they would not make the trip here for the wedding. My question is if I know for sure they would not come then is it necessary for us to sent stds & invites to them? This would mean saving us from buying 10 extra of stds & invites. 

Thanks! 

BTW I am not sending them out for a while. I am just trying to get an idea on what to do. 

Re: STDs & Invites to people I know are not coming

• You may want to send the invites just to avoid family drama. Even if you know they wouldn't make the trip, they could still be offended that you didn't invite them or that other family members were invited and they were not. It's not necessary for you to send invites, but the extra money you spend sending them could save you family drama later on.
  • KDM323KDM323 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I purchased a few extra to send to far away Aunts that I know will be physically unable to make the journey because of their health...but that I also know will be happy to get the magnet save the date and eventually the invitation in the mail. (These women are over 80, don't drive and definitely do not fly. But I know already because of the calls I got from both that they were so happy to receive a Save the Date). Mind you....I would most definitely have them at my wedding if by some miracle they COULD attend....it would not be a budget and/or space issue.
    *** Fairy Tales Do Come True *** Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • AJ4ever08 said:
    My fiance and I are having our wedding next year. We are getting married where my family lives which is 6 hours away from my fiance's family. I know that his parents, sister, and grandma for coming for sure. He is not close to and does not talk to the rest of his family (aunts, uncles, & cousins) and I know that they would not make the trip here for the wedding. My question is if I know for sure they would not come then is it necessary for us to sent stds & invites to them? This would mean saving us from buying 10 extra of stds & invites. 

Thanks! 

BTW I am not sending them out for a while. I am just trying to get an idea on what to do. 
    Send an invitation (STD not required).  You just never know who might change their mind and show up.  Besides, even if they aren't coming, it's still nice to get an actual invitation.
  • If you want them there and could host them, invite them. Several of our older relatives in this category called up my mom (the host) to thank her for including them. A couple seemed very touched. Still, remember, budget for them because they could surprise you!
  • I have been and was in a somewhat similar dilema.  I was told that if you can't afford to host them, do not invite them.  Even if you are 100% sure they will not come.  Because then they may totally surprise you and just make it after all.  So if you can't afford to host them, don't invite them.  I did invite and include and have room for 2 of my aunts who would have been offended more than likely if they didn't receive an invitation.  But like I said, they were marked on our list as definitely coming and will be until i get the RSVP back with a no, not coming.
  • Thanks everyone! I think we are doing STD magnets, which I think are really cute and something that will not get lose easily when its put in the fridge, and making our invitations, so it won't be too much more to be able to send them to his family. 
  • There are many people in my family who live a long ways away and I knew they wouldn't come but I sent the invitations anyway.  It's a courtesy.  

I know if I lived half way across the country and someone knew I wouldn't be able to come, I would still want an invitation.  I love looking at the invitations and pictures if they include that and I would likely send them a gift even if I couldn't attend.  If I wasn't sent an invitation, I would assume they excluded me because they didn't have enough space or because I wasn't a close enough friend/relative to warrant an invitation, which would hurt.
  • That's very true! Thank you! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards