Getting in Shape
Options

Tips for starting out strength/weight training?

Hi folks! I'd like to get a regular strength training routine going to supplement my cardio and look/feel a bit leaner. I run about 4-6 miles at least three times a week, do Pilates twice a week, and sometimes spinning when the weather's crappy or I don't get up early enough to run. I'm a pretty active person, but whenever I try to start weights, like the BodyPump class I checked out yesterday, I'm completely sore and out of commission the next day--even with extensive stretching. This, in turn, makes it harder to run the next day, which makes me not want to continue doing weights, until a few weeks later when I forget about how I felt before and try out another class or pick up some weights on my own. Pilates occasionally makes me sore, but in a "wow, I had a great workout" kind of way and not in the "yeowch" way that weights do. It's all over, in muscles I'm used to working as well as not, and it lasts for about two full days.

Any suggestions for a smoother recovery? Anything I need to do more of, foods I should be eating...? My wedding's not until October 2014, but I'll be getting my dress sometime this December/January--and in general, I'd just like to be less of a wuss :P

Re: Tips for starting out strength/weight training?

• Options
    Hi there!

Do you need a class to do it?  Body pump is a great but tough class.  I would suggest starting a bit slower, and start with some lighter weights on your own.

The biggest thing, IMO, is pushing through those first couple of sore days.  Once you are lifting regularly, you won't be as sore, if at all, after each workout.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Ditto to what @lobsters25 said. You are going to have that soreness when you don't consistently do it. Think about a time where you don't run for a couple weeks, or you decide you want to run hills when you haven't in awhile. You usually get sore. The same thing goes for lifting weights. You aren't used to using those muscles in that capacity, so they get a little grumpy.

As lobsters said, once you are in a routine of doing 2-3 times a week, you won't get sore until you probably change your exercises or significantly are able to increase your weight. As long as you stay consistent with it, you should be okay. I'd suggest being okay with a slightly lower mileage the next day, maybe plan a 2-3 mile run.

We don't have bodypump here so I can't speak to what kind of class it is, but I know when we have group power (which is a strength straining class), the next day I'll try and spin because its easier to control my resistance and I don't have the impact from running.
  • Options
    I'm also an advocate of the NROL that @kwitherington suggested.

I used to work out with a personal trainer and I have to be completely honest I was alway sore after lifting. I lifted three days a week with the trainer for over a year. Some days were better than others when it came to soreness but I know I was always pushing myself and doing different things so my body was generally sore somewhere.

When I was lifting and training for my first half marathon I just made sure I wasn't doing an intense leg workout on the days before or after my long runs.

• Options
    Aray, take that soreness as your body telling you "DO MORE OF THIS FOR ME!!" 
    Of course it makes the run a bit of a struggle, but the cardio will help kick out the lactic acid build up (what is making you sore) and help you recover faster. 

Body Pump is a fantastic place to start lifting because it hits all the major muscle groups (so you don't end up uneven) and is very technical (so you know you're doing it correctly). 

My other suggestion is to start adding chia seeds to your diet. They are a natural form of calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, niacin, zinc, iron, copper, manganese, as well as the perfect balance of omega fatty acids. 
    My point? Chia seeds aid in the rebuilding of muscle tissue/fiber! They will help you recover from soreness. 
    Sore is good. Sore means that your body is breaking down its muscle tissue to rebuild it stronger. This is the POINT of lifting. So accept the soreness! The better your diet and the more you lift, the less time it will take for your body to recover. But sore means that your body is changing itself to be better. That's the point, right? :) 
  • Options
    I personally love the soreness- not because I love how it feels, but to me, I keep telling myself in my mind 'I worked hard enough for my muscles to get stronger and make changes' which is always a good thing for my goals.  It makes it easier to waddle around like a goof all day long :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image

MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

• Options
    haha TOTALLY AGREE with you @ptrose13 ! When I have a lifting day and I'm NOT sore the next day, I'm usually disappointed :o
  • Options
    @ptrose13 @firsttimersluck - I love that feeling too. Except when it involves not being able to walk downstairs...or easily sit to go to the bathroom... or when I can't lift my arms above my head to wash my hair.

:)
  • Options
    Aray82Aray82 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    Thanks, all! I feel better about the soreness, knowing that it's actually supposed to be there, and I'll definitely check out New Rules of Lifting. Going back for another class today...slow and steady!
  • Options
    manjermjmanjermj member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited July 2013
    You shouldn't always feel sore, but you probably will a lot of the time. My coach always says "Motion is Lotion". If you're sore from doing air squats the day before, stretch and do more air squats to loosen those mucles back up.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards