Illinois-Chicago

Unique downtown venues

2007 knottie here. It's been awhile. I have an out of town cousin who wants to get married in Chicago. They will probably have about 150 guests. I don't believe money is a concern. What are the unique places these days for receptions? I know about the museums (planetarium bride here). What about the hotels, places on the river, etc. Also, which churches don't require you to be a member? I recall Notre Dame (my church), DePaul and that pretty church in Lincoln Park that I can't remember the name of. Thanks for any help. If there is already a similar post out there, feel free to point me to it.

Re: Unique downtown venues

• KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its

If money truly isnt a concern, here are my top venues: Cafe Bauer, Harold Washington Library,  the Shedd, Chicago History Museum, River East Art Center, Fultons on the River, Signature Room, Chicago Illuminating Company, Salvage One, Germania Place.

I was married at St James Lutheran in Lincoln Park. I joined the shurch to get married there. What religion is your cousin?

BabyFruit Ticker
  • aekcaekc member
    First Comment
    Not sure about the churches either, but if money is not an issue, I totally recommend our venue -- the Publican!!
  • I adored Hotel 71's penthouse. (It's now the Wyndham.) They're even building an outdoor terrace. Amazing, amazing views from there! 

• If money was no object I would have gotten married at the Cultural Center on Michigan Ave right across from Millennium Park.  It''s an amazing venue!
  • Crystal garden in Navy Pier is beautiful. Also I'm Lincoln Park zoo the cafe can be rented out and the butterfly garden (Peggy Norbert) north of the zoo has a beautiful terrace over the pond and a pretty place for outdoor ceremony. The grand hall in the field museum makes a great statement too.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Grabows14Grabows14 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited August 2013
    Also I'm getting married at DePaul, you need to be a member for a year... Depaul university has corteylou commons which is a really cool old fashioned type building. And i forgot to mention the grand ballroom in the hilton (south loop)
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Rockefeller Chapel on the campus of the University of Chicago is beautiful. If you are not a student, alumna, or faculty member, I believe you are limited to Friday evening and Sunday dates. (I could be wrong). If your cousin has any interest In an outdoor ceremony, the courtyard of Ida Noyes Hall, on the same campus, is also beautiful.
  • If you want a downtown, truly Chicago, wedding, we are doing ours at the Tip Top Tap at The Allerton Hotel, right on Michigan and Huron. It's vintage historic Chicago at its best. And Beau (wedding contact/day-of coordinator!) is AMAZING. 
  • We're having our wedding at the Swissotel.  With that amount of guests, you could use the 43rd floor penthouse for the reception, which has amazing city views.  Bonus-If you have your wedding on a Saturday, you have an amazing view of Navy Pier for the fireworks!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards