Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

The veil

Hi,

I was curious as to wedding veil traditions. My fiance and I are debating if I should wear the veil the whole ceremony (to be later lifted by the groom at "you may kiss the bride"), but then my mother informed us that she did that for her wedding and was told by her guests that she had "done it wrong" and that the veil is supposed to be lifted by the father of bride after he walks her down the aisle. 

However, I recently found pictures of a wedding just a year ago when the bride wore the veil the whole ceremony. And of course many brides today don't wear a veil at all or wear it back the whole time. I'm curious as to what other people are planning on doing or what you have seen done most often.

Re: The veil

• itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    Hi,

I was curious as to wedding veil traditions. My fiance and I are debating if I should wear the veil the whole ceremony (to be later lifted by the groom at "you may kiss the bride"), but then my mother informed us that she did that for her wedding and was told by her guests that she had "done it wrong" and that the veil is supposed to be lifted by the father of bride after he walks her down the aisle. 

However, I recently found pictures of a wedding just a year ago when the bride wore the veil the whole ceremony. And of course many brides today don't wear a veil at all or wear it back the whole time. I'm curious as to what other people are planning on doing or what you have seen done most often.

The veil portion in front of your face is called a "blusher". Wearing a blusher is entirely a personal preference.

I haven't seen a bride (in person) wear a blusher in years. About 80% of brides I've seen do wear a veil, though.

• KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its

I wore a blusher down the aisle and had my dad lift it when you got to the alter. I know you can see the bride's face through a blusher but I wouldnt want my pictures "obstructed."

Plus it can get really hot under those. And I have seen them stick to lip gloss.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I really don't want to wear the veil over my face the whole ceremony. Just the few minutes I had it on in the bridal shop made me feel like I'd been caught in a net, but my groom would really like me to wear it. I think he liked the idea of having the father of the bride lifting it, though, so maybe I can convince him to go with that tradition instead of the other one.
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited July 2013
    Hi,

I have never heard of this or any other "tradition" where the bride's father is supposed to have anything whatsoever to do with the veil.
  • manjermjmanjermj member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited July 2013
    I wore a veil down the aisle and had my dad lift it before the ceremony. I loved the pictures we got! Here's one of my favs.
  • Woops, here they are attached. 
  • I think my dad would get a real kick out that, manjermj.
  • Unless there are religious or ethnic traditions associated with your ceremony that would dictate when the blusher is lifted, do what you want. If you want your father to lift the blusher before he gives you to your spouse, then do so. FWIW, this is what Catherine's father did when she married William.
  • I know i wore a veil but I didnt have a blusher. I didnt really think about it. 

Married 11/12/05 ~ Renewed Our Vows 11/9/13. 

"The LORD will fight for you, you need only be still."

• The father of the bride being the one to lift the veil might be a religious or ethnic tradition, but it is not etiquette.
  • the origin of the veil was to hid the brides face way way back. this was because marriage was often arranged and it prevented the groom from seeeing the brides face and backing out. the veil was indeed lifted by the groom after they were married.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards