Just Engaged and Proposals

Just Engaged & Clueless!

Hi everyone! I'm newly engaged (last week!) but starting to feel overwhelmed with the planning process. Any good recommendations for books/ magazines? Thanks!!

Re: Just Engaged & Clueless!

• I personally wouldn't waste money on books/magazines when there is unlimited free info online.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Hi there and congrats!

First steps to planning are to set a budget and sketch out a rough guest list (keep in mind that relationships change, but think of a number you can host). From there, start doing venue and vendor research. I poured through online reviews and then set up appointments to talk with vendors about what they could offer me within my budget.

I looked at The Knot's checklist and edited it up so it fit our wedding. just keep in mind that this Jchecklist will want you to do a whole bunch of bad ideas that aren't required, but costs you money or earns the wedding industry money (engagement parties, B-lists, etc.).

And I agree with PP - unless you just want something fun/pretty to look through, the magazines and books aren't worth it.

Oh and the women here are a great planning help, so feel free to ask any questions. Good luck!

• Thanks so much for the helpful advice!! I'm excited and equally stressed about the planning process!
  • I bought a bunch of magazines but they are 90% ads and a total waste of money! You can find lots of inspiration and information online. 
  • itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment

I bought a few used Wedding-related books from Amazon. But they were honestly like 99 cents each.

They were fun to read through to "play bride" for awhile. The $10 wedding magazines are an absolute waste though, unless you are really in need to look at hundreds of pictures of really expensive wedding dresses.

• I highly recommend the book and the blog A Practical Wedding. Both focus on the important stuff—the relationship at the heart of the wedding—and help keep you sane and grounded through the planning process.
  • I highly recommend "The Wedding Book: The Book For Your Big Day" by Mindy Weiss with Lisbeth Levine.  It's written by a wedding planner and basically talks about everything wedding planning related.  Check out your local library to find books and information too.
  • I highly recommend the book and the blog A Practical Wedding. Both focus on the important stuff—the relationship at the heart of the wedding—and help keep you sane and grounded through the planning process.
    I love APractical Wedding too. It was my guilty pleasure even before we were engaged!
  • Like the PPs have said, you really shouldn't spend money on books or magazines (I don't know about the APW book to be honest) but there are ton of places online that can help you organize.

Budget and guest lists are top because they will define the scope and size of your wedding, which will then lead to finding a venue which you have to book early just like wedding invitations or save the dates are important to send out early on.

It seems really overwhelming but sit down and think about what you need to organize and then see what has most priority and then work from there.
  • Thank you all for this advice as well. In  my wedding planning process and am so overwhelmed! xoxo! 
  • Thirding the APW recommendation! They also have a book on Amazon, about $12, but it covers the whole process - important topics to discuss before marriage, actual wedding planning, and beyond. I'm in the pre-engaged stage and have still found APW to be SO helpful and grounding.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards