Getting in Shape

How do you get on the right track?

I have 8months until the wedding date. I have the gym part down. I go to classes then do 3 miles at least 3times a week (I could do more). My question is how do you ladies get motivated to "just do" the dieting? I know they say "abs aren't made in the gym they are made in the kitchen." So I need to get the diet part right or there is hardly a point to workout. Any tips on how to eat better? How to get started? Anything?! I greatly appreciate all the advice!

Re: How do you get on the right track?

• I started slow and watched what I ate when I went out. Sauces are killler. I also used myfitnesspal. Luckily with 8 months you have time to get back on track if you get off track during the holidays.
  • Please don't discount the gym because "abs are made in the kitchen". 
    This IS a true statement and keeping an eye on your sugar intake can really help with that (we tend to store sugars in our belly because our bodies have an easy time pulling from that area. That means that it's true that the bread gets stored in the stomach area, yes)
    BUT the gym is incredibly important for life-long health. It's not about dieting, it's about a healthful diet of clean foods. But the gym is what will help you live for a long time. I think that the longevity of one's life should be more important than the pretty 4-6pack to show off in a bikini. 

That being said, the diet comes over a looooong period of time if you want it to become a lifestyle. Start by slowly replacing things that you consume that contain high amounts of simple carbohydrates. Things like cheese and bread, white sugar, and fruit juices. Or at least start by replacing them with better choices (ex: white bread for whole grain bread---> read the label, not just the packaging. If a slice of bread is claiming to be whole grain but has less than 3g of fiber, it's lying to you). 

Food logging can be greatly beneficial. You will see most of us push for that. It helps you see your protein/carb/fat ratio to make sure you are balanced in your diet. It also helps you tell when you are overeating or under-eating. 

The better you eat--> the better you feel --> the better you perform 
    This will start becoming noticeable and it will slowly become a habit to make better food decisions solely because you like the way it feels and hate the way it feels when you don't. 
  • Stop putting so much pressure on starting and start small.

Get a myfitnesspal.com account and don't "diet" just keep track of your food intake. You'll figure out really quick small things that you can change to meet your goals. Don't cut out stuff you truly enjoy, just learn to eat it in moderation if it's bad for you. I would say awareness of your intake will be your biggest step towards success.
  • I suck at food logging-I just can't keep up with it.  So, I actually started cooking everything on Sundays and packaging all my meals into the 1.5C Glad containers.  In the morning, I grab my Meal 1, Meal 2, Meal 3, and Meal 4 to bring with me at work, and then for dinner, all I do is weigh my fish, count out my asparagus spears (that I've already cooked) and pop in the microwave.  I literally only eat that during the week, so it's really easy to not cheat, since I have no decisions to make!  Weekends are a lot tougher, since my schedule isn't as regimented and we go out with friends.  But, this has dramatically helped me get my M-F eating under control and consistent.
  • Start with baby steps. I second what PP's said about myfitnesspal. It has really helped me. I knew I wasn't eating well, but it really took joining MFP to actually see how bad my diet is, and I'm a Nutritionist (technically, did do degrees on that specialty).
    Once you see how your day to day diet is going, make small changes.
    If you eat a lot of white bread, switch to whole grain bread. If you find you're snacking a lot on processed sugar items, trade some of that in for fruit.

Slow and steady is the way to go with this.
    Married as of June 22, 2013!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards